Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(05-21-2017, 11:43 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Some work being done on the old Schlichter's property on Queen:

Not sure how much is known about this development yet, but I found out today that the upper floor(s?) — the side facing Queen — is being split into 2 startup offices. I can't name the one, as it's not 100% finalized yet, but if all goes well they should be looking at a September move in date.

I hope someone will post pics of the upcoming conversion of Goudies Lane into a pedestrian patio. There are a number of spots Downtown that could, someday, benefit from similar treatment, istm. If it's a success, it would be great to see the hours extended to evenings and Saturdays.
(05-29-2017, 11:21 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I hope someone will post pics of the upcoming conversion of Goudies Lane into a pedestrian patio.  There are a number of spots Downtown that could, someday, benefit from similar treatment, istm.  If it's a success, it would be great to see the hours extended to evenings and Saturdays.

The 9-5 hours are a real head-scratcher for me. Isn't that one of the problems with downtown Kitchener, that everyone rolls up the carpet and heads home at 5 o'clock? I like the idea in general, but unless it's for dinner hours or weekends, I'm never going to make use of it.
(05-29-2017, 11:39 AM)kaiserdiver Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 11:21 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I hope someone will post pics of the upcoming conversion of Goudies Lane into a pedestrian patio.  There are a number of spots Downtown that could, someday, benefit from similar treatment, istm.  If it's a success, it would be great to see the hours extended to evenings and Saturdays.

The 9-5 hours are a real head-scratcher for me. Isn't that one of the problems with downtown Kitchener, that everyone rolls up the carpet and heads home at 5 o'clock? I like the idea in general, but unless it's for dinner hours or weekends, I'm never going to make use of it.

What it's missing is street cafe's. Creating a patio and adding some artwork is going to fall flat - contrast this with European cities like Rome or Vienna where every little side alley has unique cafe's and restaurants to discover. I was recently in Jakarta, and they had created a 'simulated' lane out of a long concrete walkway/hallway that entered a parking garage - they had added everything from cobblestone to building facades - but then look up and you see the concrete beams and ceilings of a parking garage - in the simulated lane and inside the restaurants/cafes themselves. It was amazing - we spent an entire evening at a table on the 'street' drinking wine (and it kept striking me that I was drinking in a parking garage ... but it worked!) How do we get the adjacent owners to create retail (cafe/restaurant) space for lease - that is what will really bring the lane(s) to life.
(05-29-2017, 12:23 PM)Owen Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 11:39 AM)kaiserdiver Wrote: The 9-5 hours are a real head-scratcher for me. Isn't that one of the problems with downtown Kitchener, that everyone rolls up the carpet and heads home at 5 o'clock? I like the idea in general, but unless it's for dinner hours or weekends, I'm never going to make use of it.

What it's missing is street cafe's.   Creating a patio and adding some artwork is going to fall flat - contrast this with European cities like Rome or Vienna where every little side alley has unique cafe's and restaurants to discover.  I was recently in Jakarta, and they had created a 'simulated' lane out of a long concrete walkway/hallway that entered a parking garage  - they had added everything from cobblestone to building facades - but then look up and you see the concrete beams and ceilings of a parking garage - in the simulated lane and inside the restaurants/cafes themselves.  It was amazing - we spent an entire evening at a table on the 'street' drinking wine (and it kept striking me that I was drinking in a parking garage ... but it worked!)     How do we get the adjacent owners to create retail (cafe/restaurant) space for lease - that is what will really bring the lane(s) to life.

But Smile Tiger is right there! Sure, it might not face the patio, but I doubt you're going to get TWO cafes to open up in an small alleyway that's less than 100 meters long...
I had assumed the patio was intended as an outdoor seating area for Smile Tiger. I could see it being a decent spot to sit in the shade on a hot day with something from the Food Block, but I guess it's going to be less than I had hoped. The "animation" of Vogelsang Green across the street was more limited but never seemed to amount to much.
Noticed today that 32 Weber St W (formerly Knox United Church) is home to Big Bliss Yoga and Fitness.
Not sure how long this has been the case.

I think you mean Zion United. I wonder what part of the building they're using - the place is huge?
(05-29-2017, 11:39 AM)kaiserdiver Wrote:

That's what stood out to me too.  Shouldn't they be doing things to get people to DTK AFTER 5??
(05-29-2017, 02:20 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Noticed today that 32 Weber St W (formerly Knox United Church) is home to Big Bliss Yoga and Fitness.
Not sure how long this has been the case.

I thought I'd heard they were going to be doing a lot of subleasing until a long term plan was figured out.  But don't quote me on that.
I hope this project with Goudies Lane goes over well. Kitchener-Waterloo need to consider that making quasi-vacant space available for people to volunteer and transform un-used spaces into liveable spaces. I live in Berlin Germany, a city famous for being innovative of creating bier gardens, raves, homes, and liveable spaces out of derelict spots. If the city of Kitchener would lift the drinking-in-public bylaws, make busking licenses easy to get, and allow open-air markets (flohmarkt) for vendors, crafts, and antiques buy-n-sell, people night naturally congregate to these areas, and stimulate DIY culture. I'd love to get involved somehow in transforming downtown Kitchener into an enjoyable outdoor public space. City Council's openness to new ideas and public-support will be crucial, but at least they're starting with this beta test. Google image "mauerpark berlin", "holzmarkt berlin", and "birgit und bier berlin" for nice inspiration!
(05-29-2017, 02:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I think you mean Zion United.  I wonder what part of the building they're using - the place is huge?

There is a small gym off to the side that they are using. The building is cool and would make a unique space. The land load is the same guy who owns the box factory, he has a lot of ideas, but not sure if he can deliver on it.
There seems to be a small public consultation type thing going on right now in Goudies Lane, for the Vogelsang Green / Queen St! Not sure if this is how these things are normally run, but there's some information boards up and a "put stickers on the features you most want to see" thing going on. Not sure if the info boards are available online, but if not I'll post the 2 concepts later!

(06-01-2017, 07:06 PM)GtwoK Wrote: There seems to be a small public consultation type thing going on right now in Goudies Lane, for the Vogelsang Green / Queen St! Not sure if this is how these  things are normally run, but there's some information boards up and a "put stickers on the features you most want to see" thing going on. Not sure if the info boards are available online, but if not I'll post the 2 concepts later!

Wouldn't that be the inauguration of the Goudies Lane patio that was mentioned a couple of days back.  It was supposed to start up today.
That was the main event! But at the one end of the lane way was a small tent with info boards Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »