Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(11-03-2020, 01:21 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Well 4 months is a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously side walks are clearer when the city provides that surface, but is it worth the cost to do so? in my opinion, the cities staff and councils opinion, it is not. Certain areas of the city where winter walking is more prevalent like downtown receives this service, it works well and cost to the city are minimal (890K per year in 2016). That is for 193km of sidewalk. there are over 1,200km of sidewalk in the city, which would cost the city 3.6million per year + 4.0million the capital expense of purchasing equipment. There would also be costs associated with complaints/ damages.  Kitchener's winter sidewalk report concluded that residential complaints went up when the city took over the service.  Personally that money is better spent expanding permanent separated bike lanes.  

We’ve been over this. City sidewalk clearing is typically estimated to cost a pittance per property per year; there is no way you can even remotely hire somebody to clear your sidewalk for the amount (can’t remember actual number). To increase the headline tax rate in order to take responsibility for sidewalk clearing would be an overall tax reduction (by the difference between the cost of everybody individually hiring somebody to clear their sidewalk and the cost for the City to do the same work), while actually providing sidewalks that are consistently clear. Why are so many people opposed to efficiency?

And it’s not a matter of opinion that the present system doesn’t result in consistently and reliably clear sidewalks. It doesn’t, period. I still say somebody should try an AODA lawsuit.

Edit: I just noticed that you both claimed that $890k to clear maybe 15% of the sidewalks is “minimal”; meanwhile paying about 4 times as much to clear 100% of the sidewalks would somehow be excessive. You might want to re-think your calculations. Also, maybe part of the reason winter walking is more prevalent is because the City does the clearing.

(11-03-2020, 01:25 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 01:21 PM)westwardloo Wrote: Well 4 months is a bit of an exaggeration. Obviously side walks are clearer when the city provides that surface, but is it worth the cost to do so? in my opinion, the cities staff and councils opinion, it is not. Certain areas of the city where winter walking is more prevalent like downtown receives this service, it works well and cost to the city are minimal (890K per year in 2016). That is for 193km of sidewalk. there are over 1,200km of sidewalk in the city, which would cost the city 3.6million per year + 4.0million the capital expense of purchasing equipment. There would also be costs associated with complaints/ damages.  Kitchener's winter sidewalk report concluded that residential complaints went up when the city took over the service.  Personally that money is better spent expanding permanent separated bike lanes.  

We’ve been over this. City sidewalk clearing is typically estimated to cost a pittance per property per year; there is no way you can even remotely hire somebody to clear your sidewalk for the amount (can’t remember actual number). To increase the headline tax rate in order to take responsibility for sidewalk clearing would be an overall tax reduction (by the difference between the cost of everybody individually hiring somebody to clear their sidewalk and the cost for the City to do the same work), while actually providing sidewalks that are consistently clear. Why are so many people opposed to efficiency?

And it’s not a matter of opinion that the present system doesn’t result in consistently and reliably clear sidewalks. It doesn’t, period. I still say somebody should try an AODA lawsuit.

Edit: I just noticed that you both claimed that $890k to clear maybe 15% of the sidewalks is “minimal”; meanwhile paying about 4 times as much to clear 100% of the sidewalks would somehow be excessive. You might want to re-think your calculations. Also, maybe part of the reason winter walking is more prevalent is because the City does the clearing.
Obviously a discussion for winter walking forum. Winter walking is more prevalent because it is a dense urban downtown core. Very little to do with the city clearing the sidewalks. 

But the more I think about it, you two make valid points. At the end or the day I think i would be fine with an additional $27 a year on my taxes if it were able to help people with mobility issues get around in the winter.
(11-03-2020, 10:49 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Gazzola is objecting to spending money -- but this will come from the economic development fund, not the city budget.

You can't possibly expect him to know that.  His thought process:  Money's being spent huh?  That's a no!
This discussion is supposed to be about development updates and rumours, not winter walking and snow removal. Unsure why we keep moving off topic.

On topic, I think this is money well spent. I think the problem that Dan brought up regarding the parking lot is valid, so hopefully they can figure something out for this. Ideally, you can cut the size of the lot down, and use the rest for a nice park.
(11-03-2020, 10:10 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 09:59 AM)ac3r Wrote: Council approved proposal to give 8.5 million to UW for the medical facility on Victoria: https://outline.com/MSZHpx
Gazzola's opposition would be expected.  What was Chapman's rationale?
I watched some of this, and as far as I saw, no rationale was given. 

On a somewhat related note, I have been surprised the number of times Chapman and Gazzola are the lone councillors in opposition to certain motions. I would have thought that they have fairly different perspectives/opinions on things.
(11-04-2020, 08:17 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 10:10 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Gazzola's opposition would be expected.  What was Chapman's rationale?
I watched some of this, and as far as I saw, no rationale was given. 

On a somewhat related note, I have been surprised the number of times Chapman and Gazzola are the lone councillors in opposition to certain motions. I would have thought that they have fairly different perspectives/opinions on things.

Yes, this has frustrated me as well...frankly, if I recall, she also voted against VZ...
(11-04-2020, 09:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 08:17 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote: I watched some of this, and as far as I saw, no rationale was given. 

Yes, this has frustrated me as well...frankly, if I recall, she also voted against VZ...
I believe that's correct.

(11-04-2020, 09:48 AM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(11-04-2020, 09:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Yes, this has frustrated me as well...frankly, if I recall, she also voted against VZ...
I believe that's correct.

Going against spending money, usually increases your re-election bids.
Anyone have any info on what's going on at 603 King E.?

The former (former?) R.J Malleck office. Looks like it was sold and has had some serious renovations done.
I believe that is where the Walper Smoke Shop shop is relocating to. The owners ( of the Walper) have caused a lot of their long term tenants to relocate.... Now you will be able to go to Morris Car wash for the best wash in town and then go get a cigar...
The idea that the Walper Smoke Shop would relocate really shocks me. It has always seemed such an integral part of the hotel, even though I know it's not. And to a location so far out of town (so to speak) for a business that has always been at the heart of DTK.
(11-19-2020, 08:10 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I believe that is where the Walper Smoke Shop shop is relocating to.  The owners ( of the Walper) have caused  a lot of their long term tenants to relocate....  Now you will be able to go to Morris Car wash for the best wash in town and then go get a cigar...

That makes sense. 

There is some fancy ironwork on the porch that I thought has a "W" with an "Est. 1891" under it. I couldn't figure out what that might be.
Kind of sad that the people who bought the Walper Hotel have driven out both the Walper Tobacco Shop and the Walper Barbers, both very very long term tenants and respected businesses to many people. I just hope that the used book store doesn't go out of business, it's pretty good.

I agree... Very sad. Those businesses actually complimented it as a boutique hotel..
(11-19-2020, 12:53 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I agree... Very sad.  Those businesses actually complimented it as a boutique hotel..

Well, there is a barbershop there now, just not the same one. As I understand it, the owners wanted the barbershop to do some upgrades and the barbershop did not agree so they parted ways (I don't have any details on the specifics of the request or its reasonableness though).

No information yet on why the tobacco shop is moving. It's quite possible that the rent at renewal time was too high -- it they had a long-term lease, their rent might have been set up to 10 years ago, and the downtown rents have gone up a lot since then.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »