Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Big renovations at 151 Frederick St: New windows and interior at the minimum. No more vertical mullions?

Is the second column of windows (from the right) original or renovated? It doesn’t have the vertical lines of the three rows to the left, but the windows look shorter than the newly installed ones on the right.
(12-10-2020, 10:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the second column of windows (from the right) original or renovated?  It doesn’t have the vertical lines of the three rows to the left, but the windows look shorter than the newly installed ones on the right.

Looks to me like they have removed the vertical lines and next will replace the actual windows in that column.
Yes, that would make sense.
Second column is still original. The new windows are substantially taller.

It's possible that they'll reinstall the vertical mullions (lines) but I see no evidence for that so far.
If they don’t, it won’t be an upgrade in terms of appearance.
Is this a fully commercial building?

Is there still a restaurant in the basement?
(12-10-2020, 11:10 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Second column is still original. The new windows are substantially taller.

It's possible that they'll reinstall the vertical mullions (lines) but I see no evidence for that so far.

Looks to me as if the mullion caps ( exterior strips between the glass sections ) still need to be installed.  I can see these being black to match the panels installed between floors.  Actually, this glazing looks a little similar to the work done on the rear of the new building at the old Mayfair Hotel site.
(12-11-2020, 12:10 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Is this a fully commercial building?

(12-11-2020, 12:39 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is there still a restaurant in the basement?

Yes, fully commercial. Three Kretans restaurant in the basement, office space for the remainder.
Looks like 163 units going in at Belmont/Glasgow

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/planning-and...venue-West
ijmorlan often goes on about verandas. I just read a thing suggesting that they can also serve as protection from pieces of glass sent flying by earthquakes.

http://wellington.scoop.co.nz/?p=133153

(I am not endorsing all of that, but mid-rise housing is something there really should be more of.)
The posts about 151 Frederick have me remembering the old Rathskeller. It must be 25 years or more since it closed.

Must be pretty close to that. Kudos to the Kretans for their longevity, though!
(12-11-2020, 02:15 PM)stevefromyellowstone2 Wrote: Looks like  163 units going in at Belmont/Glasgow

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/planning-and...venue-West

A nice find! This is the current Dettmer Tire location (660 Belmont St W). I think 13 storeys would fit in well with what's already on Belmont.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »