Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(07-13-2015, 05:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-13-2015, 05:09 PM)Lens Wrote: 48 Weber Street has been condemned by the city, tenants are gone and it is being boarded up now.

I'm surprised - I thought it might be bought and renovated.  Is it structurally unsound? 

I thought so too.  Maybe the structure was worse than thought?

Things that make me wonder, with potential to p*ss me off - A couple of weeks ago the fluted stainless steel (?) banding on the overhang of the former TBS on King St was removed for repairs to the wooden frame. Today the band is being replaced - with fluted aluminium siding.
Interior renovations are now underway at the former Ren@41/Peter Martin's Restaurant on King St W.
Does anyone know what is happening with the E&E Seegmiller land at Charles and Sydney? The place looks empty and there is some digging in one section that looks like foundation work, although no actual work seems to be taking place. I always thought this half-block would be a great place for a housing development (great views looking out on the golf course!).
(07-19-2015, 02:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does anyone know what is happening with the E&E Seegmiller land at Charles and Sydney?  The place looks empty and there is some digging in one section that looks like foundation work, although no actual work seems to be taking place.  I always thought this half-block would be a great place for a housing development (great views looking out on the golf course!).

It must be purely exploratory/investigative digging, as there are no building permits in the city's system.  (The entire block is zoned CR-3 for (potentially) mixed residential and commercial.)
The Record is reporting that the condemned apartment building at 48 Weber St W has been sold.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5743...new-owner/
Service Ontario consolidating at its Market Center location:

In a news release published Wednesday, Service Ontario said its office located at 1400 Weber St. E. would close permanently on November 27 and that its new location would be at 30 Duke St.t W. on November 30.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3163306

Consolidating the two locations is gonna create even bigger headaches. Weber St can be crazy busy most of the time but there is a fairly large waiting room, lots of parking and close to transit.
Duke St is small has nearly not waiting room you have to go up the elevator. Parking is nearly impossible to find but it is close to transit. As I recall there wasn't very many service counter spots either
(07-22-2015, 04:15 PM)white_brian Wrote: Consolidating the two locations is gonna create even bigger headaches. Weber St can be crazy busy most of the time but there is a fairly large waiting room, lots of parking and close to transit.
Duke St is small has nearly not waiting room you have to go up the elevator. Parking is nearly impossible to find but it is close to transit. As I recall there wasn't very many service counter spots either

The Duke St location was seldom very busy, but I wonder if they will be expanding it?  Parking is abundant nearby (the Duke St garage is across the street), although as often as not I'm able to find street parking when I'm down that way.  The surprise for me is that the province would favour a Downtown location over one out in the burbs - it's kind of refreshing! Smile
(07-22-2015, 04:15 PM)white_brian Wrote: Consolidating the two locations is gonna create even bigger headaches.

This consolidation only makes sense if they expand Duke St to handle the extra capacity.

BTW some other options:
1. There's also a Service Ontario on Davenport Rd in Waterloo but AFAIK it's only for vehicle-related stuff.
2. You can do a lot of Service Ontario stuff online these days, e.g. renew license plate stickers. It's a lot more convenient than bricks and mortar.
3. If you have to go to B&M, e.g. to get your photo taken, you can now make appointments through Service Ontario's website. I've only used that once (at Duke St) and it worked smoothly. No waiting.
The Davenport location is a full line service center as is Manitou and Victoria St. For those people with a vehicle Victoria and Davenport are the best options for you parking. Manitou has very little parking and the Duke St location is downtown street parking only.
(07-22-2015, 05:53 PM)white_brian Wrote: The Davenport location is a full line service center as is Manitou and Victoria St. For those people with a vehicle Victoria and Davenport are the best options for you parking. Manitou has very little parking and the Duke St location is downtown street parking only.

Not street parking only -- there is a multi-level parking garage literally across the street.

In any case, I expect ServiceOntario is seeing a continuing trend toward online transactions, so the Duke Street office will be able to handle the volume.
(07-22-2015, 05:53 PM)white_brian Wrote: The Davenport location is a full line service center as is Manitou and Victoria St. For those people with a vehicle Victoria and Davenport are the best options for you parking. Manitou has very little parking and the Duke St location is downtown street parking only.

Coming soon an LRT stop near by! Ok 2017 but still

Walper Hotel being used for movie filming again, it appears:

[Image: 381C8mo.jpg]
(06-29-2015, 02:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-28-2015, 05:20 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Landscaping is done and the construction fencing is down at the former Waterloo County Courthouse/new Regional Archives.  It is looking very good, although I don't know if the archives have started to move in yet.  No sign yet of the artwork that's to be installed on the Queen St side.

Not quite yet, it appears; this is the lobby as of a couple of hours ago:

The lobby is still lacking some finishing touches, but it appears they are open for business.  Archives, Facilities Management, Waste Management and one more group whose name I forgot, sorry.

[Image: 26oD24y.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »