Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(10-09-2014, 09:21 AM)Markster Wrote: It's amusing that they've built this in the classic urban downtown style, with all those windows... only to have the tenant board them all up!  At least it's future-proofed, should the Beer Store ever move out, and the new tenants desire to see the sun.

Are the King St facing windows covered over too?  Or just the ones facing Francis

Folks, all the windows except the two on either side of the entrance are faux windows. They are not "boarded up windows", they are window-like panels intended to make the structure more sympathetic to the rest of the block. The two panels facing King St have not been installed yet and I am wondering whether one or both may not have signage/advertising on them? I assume that they could be converted to real windows by a future tenant, but for the purposes of a Beer Store, the building would need to be much larger to have real windows on the two sides, rather than walls for interior displays. (I can't believe I'm defending a Beer Store - I hang my head in shame!).
(10-09-2014, 10:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: They are not "boarded up windows", they are window-like panels intended to make the structure more sympathetic to the rest of the block.  The two panels facing King St have not been installed yet and I am wondering whether one or both may not have signage/advertising on them? I assume that they could be converted to real windows by a future tenant

I did not mean to imply that there are panes of glass that have been covered.  I meant simply that they have clearly built the building to support eventual conversion.  i.e. there are no structural issues, as we have all seen the building with those as open holes!  The holes were then boarded up!  Hence "boarded up windows".
You may be correct, Markster. I can't recall what the framing looked like before the brick cladding went on. I have no memory of those "windows" being open, as opposed to wall framing.
(10-09-2014, 11:02 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You may be correct, Markster.  I can't recall what the framing looked like before the brick cladding went on.  I have no memory of those "windows" being open, as opposed to wall framing.

I walk past this building almost daily and I watched this building slowly be built. The windows were framed properly and looked like real windows to me during construction. They were left as holes in the walls up until a week or two ago when they were boarded up.
I like this structure, but I will come back to my usual gripe: we need taller structures in the downtown areas. At least four stories high, preferably higher. This one has a patio on top, which I guess partially justifies the lower height.
So, with the mystery of the windows solved, I went down today to take a picture of the back of the new Beer Store. I am impressed by the low black stone wall that's been installed between the newly grassed strip (could do without that, but I guess a bit of green never hurts).

[Image: n1cop5.jpg]

Looks good! So I'm guessing you'll leave McCabes from the back door and head up those stairs to the patio?
There is work being done inside McCabes that I assume will be the main entrance to the terrasse. I wonder whether the stairs aren't intended as emergency exits?
Wait, does that mean that the patio belongs to McCabes? I always imagined it was a patio for the Beer Store Big Grin. Imagine that...
(10-16-2014, 11:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There is work being done inside McCabes that I assume will be the main entrance to the terrasse.  I wonder whether the stairs aren't intended as emergency exits?

I think this is correct. There's a staircase in the front of the building that will be the main entrance.
(10-16-2014, 11:14 PM)YKF Wrote: Wait, does that mean that the patio belongs to McCabes? I always imagined it was a patio for the Beer Store Big Grin. Imagine that...

Taste testing?!?
I was downtown Kitchener today thought I would stop by the 'Duke Street Food Block' for a bit.  Unfortunately, Holy Guac and Cheeses Murphy were both closed.

Its a shame for the downtown if they close (or feel that they have to close) on weekends....

(10-16-2014, 03:41 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, with the mystery of the windows solved, I went down today to take a picture of the back of the new Beer Store.  I am impressed by the low black stone wall that's been installed between the newly grassed strip (could do without that, but I guess a bit of green never hurts).  

Angel  Why does this building look like it is missing one or two floors?

[Image: n1cop5.jpg]
(10-18-2014, 02:52 PM)REnerd Wrote: I was downtown Kitchener today thought I would stop by the 'Duke Street Food Block' for a bit.  Unfortunately, Holy Guac and Cheeses Murphy were both closed.

Its a shame for the downtown if they close (or feel that they have to close) on weekends....

Welcome to the life of being a Downtown dweller.
It's getting better. Slowly.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »