Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
What? There are people living on the SOUTH side of the 401? Seriously?

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Is that blue shape on the sign meant to be a representation of the shape of the lot?
(04-28-2016, 05:13 PM)519 Wrote: Is that blue shape on the sign meant to be a representation of the shape of the lot?

I've wondered about that myself.  I'm not sure, but I think the lot may indeed have a narrow strip that stretches over to Hebel Pl (Kitchener's narrowest residential street?).
(04-28-2016, 05:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 05:13 PM)519 Wrote: Is that blue shape on the sign meant to be a representation of the shape of the lot?

I've wondered about that myself.  I'm not sure, but I think the lot may indeed have a narrow strip that stretches over to Hebel Pl (Kitchener's narrowest residential street?).

It does, yes.  See this map:

Oddities of 19th century Kitchener. If you look at that map just beside 155, you can see a house behind the Benton St row that seems totally misplaced in relation to St George. I assume that the house was there well before the the Benton row or the neighbouring houses on St George. If you look around, there are a number of anomalies like that in the pre-War urban fabric.
I've heard from a man who purported to be the owner of the Shopper's building downtown / owner of the white building behind that (26 college, I believe?) that that building, and the shoppers parking lot, are slated for demolition. Supposedly, a 17 storey condo is planned for the 2 lots.

The guys credentials seems valid as far as I could tell, he was discussing this with the store manager at Shopper's, who I later asked and was told that the guy owned both properties.
Very interesting considering how recently it was all renovated.

I think he's just referring to 26 college being demolished and the adjacent parking lot. Seems like an appropriate lot for redevelopment.
Yeah, sorry, just the lots on the corner behind the laneway. The 3 in red here.

[Image: VWzzr1m.png]
I always just assumed that those properties belonged to the church. It would be nice to see a development go up there - the footprint seems a bit small for a 17 storey tower, but I guess if there were a parking podium.....
(04-30-2016, 03:18 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I've heard from a man who purported to be the owner of the Shopper's building downtown / owner of the white building behind that (26 college, I believe?) that that building, and the shoppers parking lot, are slated for demolition. Supposedly, a 17 storey condo is planned for the 2 lots.

The guys credentials seems valid as far as I could tell, he was discussing this with the store manager at Shopper's, who I later asked and was told that the guy owned both properties.

If it is designed well, that would be a really good compliment to City Centre and the area as a whole.
(04-30-2016, 05:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: the footprint seems a bit small for a 17 storey tower

I've seen similar heights go up in Toronto on similar footprints.

I was just thinking to myself recently that this would be a prime location for redevelopment, being so close to the LRT and with no structures of note. Pleased to see it advancing!
It would be a fairly slender tower, meaning less efficient use of the floorplate for condos (ie greater % overhead for elevators, stairs and hallways). On the other hand, each unit would have a greater window area, so potentially could be sold as premium units. Location is excellent, as noted above.

That sounds like an exciting possibility. I think something like the first rendering for 53 David would look awesome there.
On another note, I remember seeing a For Sale (and possibly a Sold?) sign on the South West corner of Weber Victoria. Anyone know any details, or which specific building was sold there? This intersection is ripe for some redevlopment, post grade separation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »