Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
I had heard this from one of their employees as well. I'm quite intrigued as to how it will look from the street, hopefully it'll feel "alive" rather than the other extreme of a wall of windows with closed venetian blinds.

(10-24-2015, 04:28 PM)panamaniac Wrote: In an op-ed in today's Record re Downtown revitalization/gentrification, a VP at NetSuite indicated that they will soon be expanding into the former TD Canada Trust branch in the "Igloo Building".  They already have offices on the 9th floor.  

http://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/6...to-others/

What a great article, well written.
(08-29-2015, 04:21 PM)CTGal1011 Wrote: The backhoe/digger is BACK at the Noir spot on Courtland/Peter....

[Image: new_courtland_zpshmeqkovm.jpg]

I noticed that the pit now has concrete forms for pouring the foundation.  Have these been in place for long, or is this a new development?

Attached Files Image(s)

A new roof is being put on the former Schreiter-Sandrock Funeral Home on Benton at Church St. I don't know if this is just a maintenance project (the empty building has been looking a bit shabby since the business moved out), or if something more is happening.
Has anyone heard anything about what will occupy the little art deco building on King E that used to house the Little Pinto Shop? It is starting to look really sharp and a brick patio is being installed on the east side of the building. There are some large rectangular slabs of black granite or marble sitting out back waiting for placement. Someone is putting a lot of effort into this little place.
(10-29-2015, 04:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has anyone heard anything about what will occupy the little art deco building on King E that used to house the Little Pinto Shop?  It is starting to look really sharp and a brick patio is being installed on the east side of the building.  There are some large rectangular slabs of black granite or marble sitting out back waiting for placement.  Someone is putting a lot of effort into this little place.

Don't know ... the building permits show conversion of second-floor residential to office space.

And, there is another building permit for a residential dwelling on the same property -- made from shipping containers!  I need to go take a look ...  Smile
(10-29-2015, 09:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-29-2015, 04:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has anyone heard anything about what will occupy the little art deco building on King E that used to house the Little Pinto Shop?  It is starting to look really sharp and a brick patio is being installed on the east side of the building.  There are some large rectangular slabs of black granite or marble sitting out back waiting for placement.  Someone is putting a lot of effort into this little place.

Don't know ... the building permits show conversion of second-floor residential to office space.

And, there is another building permit for a residential dwelling on the same property -- made from shipping containers!  I need to go take a look ...  Smile

Well that would be interesting.  There would be space on the site for containers either beside or behind the existing structure.

I suspect behind. Looking at the GIS maps, the building is quite close to the lot boundary already.
Small update on the former provincial courthouse.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/608579...courthouse
Does anyone know what's going up at the corner of Victoria St N and Chestnut St, a block "north" of Lancaster?
(11-07-2015, 05:29 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does anyone know what's going up at the corner of Victoria St N and Chestnut St, a block "north" of Lancaster?

The empty parking lot? It used to be part of 411 Victoria, but was severed. I saw the original listing on mls and then the severed listings later as well. I found this report, although the original page doesn't seem to work so here's the cache. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/se...clnk&gl=ca

Sounds like they're planning to build a detached and a semi-detached on the parking lot. Kind of underwhelming. Not sure who would want to live on that street.
Apparently Nigel's Athletic Direct will be closing in December, citing ION construction etc.

I don't really believe so many businesses have closed their doors because of ION, I think it's marginally successful businesses with a good excuse to close.
(11-08-2015, 12:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Apparently Nigel's Athletic Direct will be closing in December, citing ION construction etc.

I don't really believe so many businesses have closed their doors because of ION, I think it's marginally successful businesses with a good excuse to close.

This is incredibly sad news for local Chucks fans.  Nigel has been a staple in town for as long as I can remember.  Hopefully it has more to do with him wanting to retire than anything.

(11-08-2015, 12:32 PM)Lens Wrote: Apparently Nigel's Athletic Direct will be closing in December, citing ION construction etc.

Today we had Dim Sum at Cameron Chinese Restaurant at the corner of Charles and Cameron.  Charles is closed and a mess in from of the restaurant but, as usual, the place was packed by 11:30 AM.  Anyone who came after that had to wait for a table.

Many years ago we were at a restaurant just west of New Hamburg at the intersection of Highway 7 and Wilmot Easthope Rd.  They had all-you-could-eat fish and chips but there were few people there.  The owner mentioned that the recently passed no smoking law in Waterloo Region was really hurting their business.  She also asked that we tell all our friends about the restaurant.  When our order came I realized I had to tell my friends about the restaurant.  The fish was from frozen fish squares and the fries tasted like it was made the day before.  It was just awful.  So yes, we did tell all our friends.  We told them not to go there if they wanted good food.  

So ION or the no smoking by-law can be blamed for businesses closing but sometimes it's not the real reason.  Just sayin'.

Interestingly enough, I used to buy a ton of stuff at Nigel's when I was younger and he was at King Centre. I wasn't even aware he had a store at Market Square! I'll have to go and check it out before it closes. Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »