Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Where are you finding that, Tom? Apologies if this was highlighted here before.

As an aside, it's not great if too many spaces in the neighbourhood turn over to office use. I am thinking of the former Zeke's restaurant space specifically, but also some of the units along Breithaupt. Losing amenities to offices is not ideal, though hopefully the offices in turn attract other amenities.

I googled for 318 Duke West. I found the real estate listing for it but when I clicked for it, it had already been taken down. So I went back to the Google listings and selected to view the cached version.

Losing amenities to office space is not great. But converting vacant space to office use is not nearly as bad. The fire station might have made a great pub or restaurant, too, but maybe the area isn't (yet) busy enough or otherwise attractive enough for someone to open one.
Ah, thanks. I didn't find any such listing when searching- glad I brought it up here!

Converting vacant space to office use is excellent. This hasn't been vacant for a while. I have no idea if the dance studio left because of increasing rents (it says its new space in Belmont is larger), but this has been used continuously for quite some time.

You mention that it might have made a great pub or restaurant, and I have thought that for a long time. I suppose the optimistic viewpoint is that the area will become busy enough to support things like that soon.
(02-09-2017, 11:05 PM)MidTowner Wrote: You mention that it might have made a great pub or restaurant, and I have thought that for a long time. I suppose the optimistic viewpoint is that the area will become busy enough to support things like that soon.

I hope so, too.  With intensification it'll happen, but will it take a year, five or ten, it's very difficult to predict.
It's a bit of an awkward site to imagine having a restaurant. Not many people will find their way there on foot outside of rare locals on the north side. Crossing the tracks will be a less likely occurrence should they become busier. The development that is much more likely to happen along Victoria, from the hub on eastward, will be the main draw. I do think it's a bit to far without seeing more people on the north side in the form of intensification, or more destinations on the north side, neither of which is at all likely.
How soon might the Boehmer Box building be adapted into high-end office space? That will move north-side activity further east...
A few of the units fronting Breithaupt towards the Waterloo side have been renovated. That might actually not strictly be the same building.

The tracks are a bit of a barrier, but they shouldn't be. It's a friendly unfriendly crossing right now, generally unpleasant-looking with not much shelter along Duke. Doubtlessly development along Victoria is more likely than along Wellington, but I do hope that, if the neighbourhood gets more office space, it gets some small commercial to serve it.

(06-11-2016, 03:34 PM)Lens Wrote: Vanguard Developments is also doing the Walter st. midrise which is a bit of a yawn architecturally and it looks like they have a few other projects coming:
51 Scott Street http://vanguarddevelopments.com/51Scott.html

The building permits for this development were issued late last year.
(02-14-2017, 03:56 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-11-2016, 03:34 PM)Lens Wrote: Vanguard Developments is also doing the Walter st. midrise which is a bit of a yawn architecturally and it looks like they have a few other projects coming:
51 Scott Street http://vanguarddevelopments.com/51Scott.html

The building permits for this development were issued late last year.

This does or does not include the vacant lot on the corner?

If it's mid block on Scott the way it looks, I like it a lot.
Correct, it's mid-block, not including the corner.
Was not a development planned or should have been started by now at that corner?
(12-11-2016, 08:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 02:10 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I fall somewhere in between you and MacBerry, who says he'd be surprised if they got $400,000. They're asking $570,000- that does seem ridiculous to me. But I've seen places in this part of the town which are in less than stellar shape go for over $400,000, and there has to be a premium for brand new construction with 21st century features. Usually, when you buy in a neighbourhood like this, you're getting something that has been adapted by potentially ten or twenty owners using various generations of technology, and I understand why some people may not be interested in that.

These are about 2000 sq ft, and apparently being built with high-end features.  Certainly if you compare to a larger condo unit (even a new townhouse condo unit such as 144 Park) the price tag doesn't look so bad.

I think they are pushing the envelope $570K, but I do believe they will be able to sell these for over $500K.

As an update, 2 of the 4 units are now sold with another having a conditional offer. Looks like the price has been raised to $589,000-$599,000 as well.
(02-15-2017, 11:24 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 08:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote: These are about 2000 sq ft, and apparently being built with high-end features.  Certainly if you compare to a larger condo unit (even a new townhouse condo unit such as 144 Park) the price tag doesn't look so bad.

I think they are pushing the envelope $570K, but I do believe they will be able to sell these for over $500K.

As an update, 2 of the 4 units are now sold with another having a conditional offer. Looks like the price has been raised to $589,000-$599,000 as well.

Apparently $570K was not ridiculous after all!   Blush

Yep, I noticed the other two listed for a bit higher the other day- so I eat crow on this. I'm shocked that someone would pay almost $600,000 for a semi in this neighbourhood, but apparently there are at least a few people who will!
Sorry guys, wasn't my intention at all to have you eat crow!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »