Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
(07-31-2018, 03:34 PM)Markster Wrote: Oof, takes some unfortunate design clues from this gem, but frankly I prefer it over literally nothing.

That was the, "hey, were going to add an extra floor midway through construction". And the city actually signed off to allow them.  It was originally going to have a very nice roof on it.

It's from the back. Unless they completely messed up the sun and shadows, and the general ghost renders of the house across the street and Victoria Place to the right.
Is this a first mention of a mid-rise at Weber and Young? The render of the proposal at page 104 (!) is ... different. Perhaps Euro-different ... It certainly wouldn't resemble anything else in DTK. Six stories along the north side of Weber seems appropriate to me, and a good transition between DTK and the heritage SFHs behind. I imagine, however, that there will be some neighbourhood complaints about shadowing, among other things.
(08-06-2018, 12:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is this a first mention of a mid-rise at Weber and Young?   The render of the proposal at page 104 (!) is ... different.  Perhaps Euro-different ... It certainly wouldn't resemble anything else in DTK.  Six stories along the north side of Weber seems appropriate to me, and a good transition between DTK and the heritage SFHs behind.  I imagine, however, that there will be some neighbourhood complaints about shadowing, among other things.

Interesting find. It looks like they (Facet Design Studio) are still building their webpage as the image for the Fifty-FiftySix Weber project seems borrowed from another one of their projects (Guelph Lake Nature Centre).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
A project I came across in the committee of adjustment that I couldn't find a thread for:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-06-2018, 01:39 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: A project I came across in the committee of adjustment that I couldn't find a thread for:

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...5#pid54575
(08-06-2018, 12:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Is this a first mention of a mid-rise at Weber and Young?   The render of the proposal at page 104 (!) is ... different.  Perhaps Euro-different ... It certainly wouldn't resemble anything else in DTK.  Six stories along the north side of Weber seems appropriate to me, and a good transition between DTK and the heritage SFHs behind.  I imagine, however, that there will be some neighbourhood complaints about shadowing, among other things.

I remember the two properties on Weber St being up for sale, but haven't heard anything else until now. There might not be that many complaints about shadowing and so on from the neighbourhood just based on the type of buildings there. I used to live on the end of Roy St close to Young and that end of Roy/Young is a mix of commercial and rentals, not a lot of single family homes. That may result in fewer complaints, plus some members of the neighbourhood might be happy to see the buildings on Weber St gone.

Kitchener Post made inquiries about the status of this lot. Apparently Drewlo owns it and wants to use it to drop off fill. I wonder if this is from their King and Madison project?

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...ine-roads/
(08-08-2018, 09:58 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Kitchener Post made inquiries about the status of this lot.  Apparently Drewlo owns it and wants to use it to drop off fill.  I wonder if this is from their King and Madison project?

"Soils not compatible with development" - does that mean contaminated soil or something else?
(08-08-2018, 10:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 09:58 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Kitchener Post made inquiries about the status of this lot.  Apparently Drewlo owns it and wants to use it to drop off fill.  I wonder if this is from their King and Madison project?

"Soils not compatible with development" - does that mean contaminated soil or something else?

I think that might have been a gas station a long time ago ...
(08-08-2018, 10:52 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-08-2018, 10:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote: "Soils not compatible with development" - does that mean contaminated soil or something else?

I think that might have been a gas station a long time ago ...

Nope, never developed before. It was a woodlot until 6 years ago, that got clear-cut, and it's sat empty since.
Yeah, that's not a good look.
Last week I noticed fencing had been installed at Frederick Mall on the corner of Frederick and Edna.  This morning I saw a backhoe at work.  I assume this is for Tim Horton's.

Construction fencing up on Ottawa between King & Charles. Some heavy equipment sitting out back and minor demolition has begun.

Is there a page for what's happening here?
(08-13-2018, 11:15 AM)Ace Wrote: Construction fencing up on Ottawa between King & Charles. Some heavy equipment sitting out back and minor demolition has begun.

Is there a page for what's happening here?

Not for a demolition.  Afaik, there is no redevelopment proposal for the site yet, beyond widening Ottawa St.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »