Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
That is just a shame. Such a local institiution!

(03-30-2019, 03:22 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Was just getting my haircut at the Walper Barber Shop and they told me that as of yesterday, they're being forced out. They've been there since 1850, but Perimeter has given them 2 months to vacate, and are apparently trying to force out all the other tenants as well (though coffee culture apparently has a 25 year lease, and won't leave unless bought out for what I'm told is $9m)

The 3 barbers are interested in the former open sesame space, as well as the former Carmellos's space next to Young condos

Not sure what Perimeter's plan is.

That's a real shame.  I hope something changes.

I think the city has said they're not going to lease the Open Sesame space for a few years though because of the coming construction to the square.
(03-30-2019, 03:22 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Was just getting my haircut at the Walper Barber Shop and they told me that as of yesterday, they're being forced out. They've been there since 1850, but Perimeter has given them 2 months to vacate, and are apparently trying to force out all the other tenants as well (though coffee culture apparently has a 25 year lease, and won't leave unless bought out for what I'm told is $9m)

The 3 barbers are interested in the former open sesame space, as well as the former Carmellos's space next to Young condos

This being my barbershop as well, was a complete shocker to hear over the weekend. A real shame and a part of the downtown culture there that will be lost, unless they change their mind. Not sure what else could occupy that small space...
I wish there was something we could do to champion a cause to keep the Barbershop there.  Sigh
(04-01-2019, 09:53 AM)JJTL Wrote:

This being my barbershop as well, was a complete shocker to hear over the weekend. A real shame and a part of the downtown culture there that will be lost, unless they change their mind. Not sure what else could occupy that small space...

This stands out to me.  It's not a big space.

I wonder how they can justify getting rid of them.  Or is it raising the rent so that they leave on their own.
Given that they were trying to vacate the rest of the commercial units, I assumed Perimeter wanted to combine the space, or at least that's the impression I got when I was told the information. Something something restructuring.

There is certainly space across the street, in the American Block, as well. Or one block further (Kitchener) south on Queen St S, across the street from Northern Thai.

(04-01-2019, 02:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

There is certainly space across the street, in the American Block, as well. Or one block further (Kitchener) south on Queen St S, across the street from Northern Thai.
But it isn't the Walper Barber if it sint in the Walper.
(04-01-2019, 04:47 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 02:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: There is certainly space across the street, in the American Block, as well. Or one block further (Kitchener) south on Queen St S, across the street from Northern Thai.

But it isn't the Walper Barber if it sint in the Walper.

Kind of like King Street Trio on University?  Rolleyes 

Seriously, the barber shop is a separate business from the hotel, so unfortunately they are not in control -- nor can the city do anything in this case.

Still, the American Block is a historic building, and still located at the "Walper corner".
(04-01-2019, 05:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 04:47 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: But it isn't the Walper Barber if it sint in the Walper.

Kind of like King Street Trio on University?  Rolleyes 

Seriously, the barber shop is a separate business from the hotel, so unfortunately they are not in control -- nor can the city do anything in this case.

Still, the American Block is a historic building, and still located at the "Walper corner".
i get it,  i am not devoid of smartness but,  this is a historical landmark in Kitchener  Plus, I know the people who work there and i actually give sh.. about thier well being.  It isnt just about what I want,  it is looking out for those wonderful people as well... and some historical signifigance ..
(04-01-2019, 11:21 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Given that they were trying to vacate the rest of the commercial units, I assumed Perimeter wanted to combine the space, or at least that's the impression I got when I was told the information. Something something restructuring.

That would make the most sense.  Bigger spaces can draw bigger clients and therefore more money.  Who's next to the barber shop though that they could be combined with
I thought it was a corridor and Coffee Culture to the "north" and the hotel lobby to the "south", but I could be missing a commercial space between the barber shop and the lobby.  I wonder if the barbers will take the '50s stations with them to a new location?  They are pretty funky, although I always thought the place needed to be refurbished with "ye olde" wooden stations to give it an Edwardian vibe.  Although then the price of a haircut would go up ...
(04-02-2019, 09:10 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 11:21 AM)GtwoK Wrote: Given that they were trying to vacate the rest of the commercial units, I assumed Perimeter wanted to combine the space, or at least that's the impression I got when I was told the information. Something something restructuring.

That would make the most sense.  Bigger spaces can draw bigger clients and therefore more money.  Who's next to the barber shop though that they could be combined with

A new professional photography business. It just opened a few months ago.

(04-02-2019, 10:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 09:10 AM)Spokes Wrote: That would make the most sense.  Bigger spaces can draw bigger clients and therefore more money.  Who's next to the barber shop though that they could be combined with

A new professional photography business. It just opened a few months ago.

You're right, I remember passing by when they were setting up.  The hotel seems to have decided to look for more "up scale" storefronts.
Does anyone know if it is just the Walper Barbershop impacted, or other businesses too? I was just thinking of the Walper Tobacco Shop as well, I believe it is the oldest Tobacco shop in Canada (circa 1891). Not a shop I frequent, but certainly has historical value that also would be a shame to lose. Unless they are vacating Coffee Culture, not sure how the spaces could be better utilized than they already are...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »