Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest
(04-18-2020, 04:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 02:56 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Any idea what it’s like? Any historical or architectural interest?

I want to say that it was kind of a standard issue red brick commercial building, but my memory of it is pretty vague.  Wasn’t the storefront a children’s clothing store at one time?

It probably was at some point, as I seem to recall that too. It also was some sort of ski shop before Oktoberfest took it.

The building I don't remember being anything special. Yet, somehow, it was made into something that looked worse. Fake windows...like...wow.

(04-18-2020, 09:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 09:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Riordan Ski & Sport! But that was a looooong time ago ...

Yes, I remember Riordan's, but I was thinking that it was children's clothing before that.  Could be wrong - memories do fade.

I think Riordan's was in the 70s/80s, anything before that is beyond my memory horizon!
(04-19-2020, 09:33 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 09:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Yes, I remember Riordan's, but I was thinking that it was children's clothing before that.  Could be wrong - memories do fade.

I think Riordan's was in the 70s/80s, anything before that is beyond my memory horizon!

My earliest DTK recollection would be going in to Kresge's at age six to buy my Mom a rhinestone brooch for Christmas - it was ugly as sin and I remember being thrilled to be buying it with "my own money".  I still have the brooch, which I saved when we cleared out my mother's home.  

Actually, I have a vague memory of sitting in the window inside the old Waterloo Trust (King/Ontario) and singing a hymn at the top of my voice while my mother did her banking - I couldn't have been more than four years old, which would take it (just) to the 1950s in DTK!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »