Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kinkaku Izakaya
(01-03-2015, 05:14 PM)EdM Wrote: My officemates and I went four or five times before they switched over and generally found it excellent. After they changed over the menu in the window looked like a generic AYCE place and seemed to be missing many of the previous items. We haven't been back since so I can't compare.

Last time I was there at lunch time it was packed. Food was ok.

(01-03-2015, 02:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Back to Kinkaku Izakaya.  I noticed today that there is a small sign inside that limits the amount of time you can sit in the restaurant (1hr 30min for lunch, 1hr 45min for dinner).  Is this for real?  If they are that busy, they should shift to two separate servings or something, imho.

I thought this kind of thing wasn't about how busy a place is, but about preventing abuse of the all-you-can-eat format. The AYCE sushi places have this kind of rule too.
That's just sad - that it would be needed, that is.
(01-04-2015, 11:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote: That's just sad - that it would be needed, that is.

A friend of mine back in university would barely eat for three days and then go to an all you can eat Chinese buffet and eat for four hours, slowly and steadily.
Kinkaku's popularity seems to be holding up quite well. I tried to go with a couple friends yesterday evening, as of 6pm the expected wait was 1.5 hours (and there were multiple groups standing there planning to wait it!). Even when I went with on a Thursday at 1pm the wait was over half an hour (though fortunately I had reservations).

If you're planning to go reservations are strongly recommended. Food quality seems to be holding up well despite the switch to AYCE format, still by far the best Japanese food I've had in KW.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »