Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
(06-05-2019, 05:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 01:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 53-61 Frederick St -- where the regional courthouse is now.
https://historicallyspeakingkitchener.wo...s-of-time/

I've seen that clock at the Library and the penny never dropped that it was a Pequenat.  I don't know that there are any reminders in town, other than Pequegnat Ave.
I hope the Regional History Museum picks up a few of them.

By the way, am I correct in remembering that, in Kitchener, the name is pronounced "PEG-uh-nat"?  Or is it PECK-wuh-nat?

I heard it pronounced by "Peg-uh-naw" by my family members who went to church with them.

(06-26-2019, 12:13 AM)nms Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 05:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I've seen that clock at the Library and the penny never dropped that it was a Pequenat.  I don't know that there are any reminders in town, other than Pequegnat Ave.
I hope the Regional History Museum picks up a few of them.

By the way, am I correct in remembering that, in Kitchener, the name is pronounced "PEG-uh-nat"?  Or is it PECK-wuh-nat?

I heard it pronounced by "Peg-uh-naw" by my family members who went to church with them.

Yes, now that I think about it, that seems familiar.  It is certainly not a common surname.
(06-26-2019, 09:44 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-26-2019, 12:13 AM)nms Wrote: I heard it pronounced by "Peg-uh-naw" by my family members who went to church with them.

Yes, now that I think about it, that seems familiar.  It is certainly not a common surname.

We lived on Pequegnat for many years and everyone said “Peg-uh-nawt.”  The ‘t’ was pronounced.
Kultrún World Music Festival
July 13 - 14, Victoria Park, Kitchener

This is one of the best festivals in this region.  Bring a lawn chair because once you hear one of the acts you may want to linger.
I love that one of the acts is a guy named "Ramon Chicharron". Smile
Those are some top-notch headliners - really excited for Systema Solaar coming to Kitchener.
Tickets are still available for the opening concert with Newen Afro Beat
https://www.kultrunwmf.com/gala

Nice write up on the CBC site:

Kultrún Festival celebrates world music and cultural appreciation this weekend
This video is from last year's Kultrun Festival.

Enjoy:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iDFX4nBNHuT5dXdN8
Lots to do in KW today and the weekend.

If you're not interested in going to the opening festival concert for Kultrun, and you don't want to see Cruising on King, then the KW Nugswap is what you might be looking for.  The Nugswap is "on Friday from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., residents can come to Waterloo Park and trade different strands of cannabis.

Snacks and water will be provided".

Well, duh.  When you have the munchies and a dry mouth what else do you need besides snacks and water? 
Sorry to see in the Record that the Frederick Cinemas are closing today. Not that it would have changed anything, but I was always surprised when the mall exterior was cleaned up a few years back that signage for the cinema was not made more prominent. I imagine they couldn't afford it, but I suspect that many people did not even know there was a movie theatre there.
(08-29-2019, 11:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Sorry to see in the Record that the Frederick Cinemas are closing today.  Not that it would have changed anything, but I was always surprised when the mall exterior was cleaned up a few years back that signage for the cinema was not made more prominent.  I imagine they couldn't afford it, but I suspect that many people did not even know there was a movie theatre there.
It's sad they closed but it's surprising that it lasted as long as it did based on The Record article.

I watched many movies there when I was a kid. I wonder what's going to end up happening with the space? I think it would be good if a Theatre like Princess Cinema opened there.
(09-02-2019, 05:18 AM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(08-29-2019, 11:35 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Sorry to see in the Record that the Frederick Cinemas are closing today.  Not that it would have changed anything, but I was always surprised when the mall exterior was cleaned up a few years back that signage for the cinema was not made more prominent.  I imagine they couldn't afford it, but I suspect that many people did not even know there was a movie theatre there.
It's sad they closed but it's surprising that it lasted as long as it did based on The Record article.

I watched many movies there when I was a kid. I wonder what's going to end up happening with the space? I think it would be good if a Theatre like Princess Cinema opened there.

Agreed, although a second-run house would seem more likely to me.  

This reminds me - I wonder how the Apollo is doing?

The Royal Medieval Faire will be this weekend in Waterloo Park near the band shell.
I have been arranging a concert series at Emmanuel United Church for the last few months. Coming up this fall:
October 1: Basset
October 3: Noah Derksen
October 8: Adrian Chalifour
October 12: 'Twas Now with Jesse Parent
October 18: Alan Cross
October 24: Lion Bear Fox
November 1: The Sun Harmonic
November 19: Skarni
November 29: Ian Foster & Nancy Hynes
December 7: Quartette (Cindy Church, Caitlin Hanford, Gwen Swick, and Sylvia Tyson)

(as a bonus, you'll get a chance to meet me face-to-face :-) )
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »