Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
Victoria Park's loss is WLU's gain - the 22 statues of Canadian Prime Ministers will be installed at Laurier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3132952

Is it really a loss for Victoria Park?
(06-30-2015, 10:34 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is it really a loss for Victoria Park?

I always thought so, and even more when I saw the quality of the John A statue, but I'm in the minority I think.  I imagine even the WLU location will drag out the chronic complainers.
Not this one. I'm very happy with the choice of WLU as location. I'm sure they have plenty of basement space where the sculptures can be "displayed".  Tongue 

I kid, I kid. I actually think the sculptures would have been out of place in Victoria Park, while quite appropriate if peppered around campus.
As an opponent of the idea to put the statues in Victoria Park, I think that Laurier is a great place for them. Much more appropriate.
For one thing, they are named after a Prime Minister, so the tie already has a good start.
Laurier is a more dense space, so the statues won't become an overwhelming feature of the campus, as they would be in Victoria Park.
Laurier has various programs related to business and politics, including ties to the Balsillie School of International Affairs, which is highly political.

Seems like a good fit.
(06-30-2015, 10:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Victoria Park's loss is WLU's gain - the 22 statues of Canadian Prime Ministers will be installed at Laurier.

I hope that they become target of being 'dressed up' like the otter (or bear?) on Gordon St at the University of Guelph.  I've always thought that was kind of harmless prank and fun tradition.

I'm sure drunk university students will think of something!  Smile 
(06-30-2015, 04:03 PM)REnerd Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 10:29 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Victoria Park's loss is WLU's gain - the 22 statues of Canadian Prime Ministers will be installed at Laurier.

I hope that they become target of being 'dressed up' like the otter (or bear?) on Gordon St at the University of Guelph.  I've always thought that was kind of harmless prank and fun tradition.

I'm sure drunk university students will think of something!  Smile 

I can almost see the mittens dangling from strings on Joe Clark's wrists!

(06-30-2015, 06:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I can almost see the mittens dangling from strings on Joe Clark's wrists!

Panamaniac, you are dating yourself!   Big Grin   That was the first election I could vote in. In retrospect, I have a lot of respect for Joe Who, but as a politician he was badly outmaneuvered by Trudeau.
(06-30-2015, 10:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-30-2015, 06:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I can almost see the mittens dangling from strings on Joe Clark's wrists!

Panamaniac, you are dating yourself!   Big Grin   That was the first election I could vote in. In retrospect, I have a lot of respect for Joe Who, but as a politician he was badly outmaneuvered by Trudeau.

It's worse than that - I can remember Dief as PM!  Sad
Eek! That was rather before my time ...
It's shaping up to be a perfect evening for the Night Market, Downtown this evening.
Sunday afternoon at the Waterloo Region Museum (combine with Beer! The Exhibit):

Summer Music Series: The Haret http://www.therecord.com/whatson-story/4...big-sound/
Start Date Sunday, July 5, 2015
End Date Sunday, July 5, 2015
Time 1 to 3 p.m.
It probably merits its own thread but Neruda Arts' KULTRÚN FESTIVAL looks to be an excellent event this weekend.  It has been moved from Uptown to Downtown to accommodate its expansion. There are a number of events connected to the Festival, in addition to the free concerts.  Here is the festival program:

JULY 9

O P E N I N G   G A L A
8pm Victoria Park Pavilion, Downtown Kitchener (ticketed)
Back-to-Back Performances By:
ANITA TIJOUX, CHICO TRUJILLO & LUCHO QUEQUEZANA
$40 Advance | $45 Door
Students/Senior 65+ $30 Advance | $40 Door (with ID)

JULY 10

PAN AM GAMES SHOWCASE OF ARTISTS
5-11pm Civic Park, 116 Queen Street North, Kitchener (FREE)

VOCES DEL SUR (Waterloo)
Opening song by Local Children’s Choir

CHIPPEWA TRAVELLERS
Canadian Aboriginal Music Award and 2010 Powwow Idol Winners

THE WOMYN’S QUARTET (Waterloo)

Alysha Brilla, Janice Lee, Charlena Russell, Natalia Mansilla & Eugénie Ducatel

LUCHO QUEQUEZANA (Peru)
2015 Bellas Artes Winner & 2014 Latin Grammy Nominee

ROBERTO LOPEZ PROJECT (Venezuela, Colombia, El Salvador, Québec)
Lopez’s song ‘Soy Panamericano’ is a Pan Am & Parapan Am Games theme Tune!

ANITA TIJOUX (Chile)
Hip Hop Activist, Latin Pop Star & Latin Grammy Winner

ORQUESTA TIPICA FERNANDEZ FIERRO (Argentina)
Buenos Aires’ most popular tango orchestra with cult-like status & gold records

JULY 11-12

KULTRÚN IN VICTORIA PARK (FREE)
July 11, 12-11pm | July 12, 12-9pm

SALTERELLO (Québec)
Historically Inspired Music from the Four Corners of the Earth

LE BAL À L’HUILE (Québec)
Traditional Québécois Music by Six Remarkable Singers

TANIA NARANJO & MINNA WEURLANDER (Chile, Sweden)
Dramatic & Playful Tango by Two Musical Soul Mates

LA CHIVA GANTIVA (Belgium, Holland, Colombia)
Rock, Rap, Soul and Ferociously Funky Latin Rhythms

TRIBU BAHARU (Colombia)
An Afro-Champeta Music Crew from the Colombian Caribbean

CHICO TRUJILLO (Chile)
Chile’s Rockinest Ska-Cumbia Orchestra

PUPY Y LOS QUE SON SON (Cuba)
A Cuban Salsa Steam Engine with a Mighty Four-Man Horn Section

DRUMHAND (Ontario)
Old and New Rhythms on Weathered Skins - Global Beats for Dancing Bodies!

AMAI KUDA and Y JOSEPHINE (Ontario)
Afro-Soul Duo with Sweet, Smoky Vocals and a Peruvian Fruit Box Drum Kit

JONI NEHRITA (Ontario)
Jazz, R&B, Funk and Infectious Band Chemistry from a Tri-City Homegirl

SOM BIT (Mexico)
Music + Movement, Heavy on Drums and Afro-Funk Bass and Jazz Grooves

VOX SAMBOU (Québec, Haiti)
Int. Ambassador of Hip Hop Culture and Founding Member of Nomadic Massive

ADONIS PUENTES (Cuban-Canadian)
Juno and Grammy nominee Adonis Puentes and his Voice of Cuba Orchestra

All-Ages Workshops by Professional Artists · Interactive Activities for Kids and Families by: Latitudes Storytelling Festival, MT Space, Bring on the Sunshine Celebration of African Culture, Link Picnic Afro-Caribbean Festival, Francophone Association of KW, the Corn Festival, Trash Theatre and more...  PLUS Food and Craft Market + Boathouse Beer Garden & After-Parties!

The scheduled time of the various performances/events can be found here:   http://www.nerudaarts.ca/kultrun/schedule/143

Busy night tonight Downtown, with the 25th annual Crusin on King event, music in Carl Zehr Square and various musical performances as part of Kutrun Festival in the Civic Square by the KPL.
(07-09-2015, 11:11 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It probably merits its own thread but Neruda Arts' KULTRÚN FESTIVAL looks to be an excellent event this weekend.  It has been moved from Uptown to Downtown to accommodate its expansion.

I got my weekends mixed up and was expecting Ribfest.  Kultrun was pleasant surprise.  The music was top quality.  Perhaps because I was there later on Sunday evening, it appeared to be less of a zoo than the Multicultural Festival which is probably reaching the point where it needs to expand its footprint beyond just  the Victoria Park Common.  I wish Kultrun luck and look forward to future years.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »