Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Arts and Culture News
Has the big mural gone up yet on the retaining wall along Charles St at Madison? I'm looking forward to seeing pics (and wondering whether it will be respected by the taggers).

No, it hasn't even been started. Sad It seems like it is woefully behind schedule. IIRC it was supposed to be done by now.
The mural is done, it just needs to be installed.

Neruda Arts had a table at the market a few weeks ago and said it should be installed by the end of July. There is an event at the end of August on their calendar; perhaps an official unveiling?
http://www.nerudaarts.ca/events/mural-about-belonging-0
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Wait, what?  I thought it was being painted onto the concrete... is that not the case?

At any rate - thanks for the update, I was just about to tweet out a picture of the blank wall, wondering about what was going on.  From what the link you posted shows, it looks like it's going to be beautiful!

EDIT - If you click here and work your way back (hit the right arrow), you can see a bunch of photos from the painting of it at the Granite Club on Seagram.
Yeah, it has been painted on wood panels that will be mounted on the concrete wall.
Will that withstand the weather?
I imagine it will wear about as it would if it were painted directly on concrete. The bigger concern for me is whether it will be vandalized.

I'm just thinking painted wood will rot pretty quickly, unless it's treated or something.
I'm sure the panels have been treated wtih something; I also trust some kind of cladding will cover the top edge to keep off the worst of the elements.
Hopefully! The photos on the artist's Facebook page show blank sheets of plywood. That's what made me wonder. I'm sure they've thought about this, though!

They have an August date on the webpage, I wonder if that's the installation day.
In addition to the 5PM news, CTV Kitchener is finally upgrading their studio to HD.
(08-22-2017, 06:43 PM)KevinL Wrote: In addition to the 5PM news, CTV Kitchener is finally upgrading their studio to HD.

Get out ... that's only 4-5 years late #CKCO
(07-23-2017, 08:22 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The mural is done, it just needs to be installed.

Neruda Arts had a table at the market a few weeks ago and said it should be installed by the end of July. There is an event at the end of August on their calendar; perhaps an official unveiling?
http://www.nerudaarts.ca/events/mural-about-belonging-0

It's now nearly the end of August, and installation hasn't even begun. When will installation begin?

Every time I bike by I am disappointed it is not there yet. Sad

(08-22-2017, 07:22 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 06:43 PM)KevinL Wrote: In addition to the 5PM news, CTV Kitchener is finally upgrading their studio to HD.

Get out ... that's only 4-5 years late #CKCO

Maybe we can get Bowling For Dollars, Trivia & Co, and Big Top Talent in 4K!

Coke
And a kids' block, with Romper Room and Tiny Talent Time?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »