Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 08:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 02:16 AM)HistoryInDecay Wrote: Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it;

Additionally, 

Almost the entire block between Charles, Delta and Sydney (5 homes, a former printing building)  has been bought by an unnamed developer. Fences are up on part of the property. All of it is currently vacant. Neighbors have been told to call police immediately if anyone is loitering around them (as I learned from experience... Oops) 

Not sure if the business on the corner of Sydney and Charles is also part of that or not.

My magic development wand has always itched to turn Delta into a site for higher-end residential properties overlooking the golf course.  Great location for any kind of redevelopment.
And a view of Rockway Gardens... Such an understated gem !!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-19-2019

(06-19-2019, 08:39 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 08:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: My magic development wand has always itched to turn Delta into a site for higher-end residential properties overlooking the golf course.  Great location for any kind of redevelopment.
And a view of Rockway Gardens... Such an understated gem !!

Yes, the Gardens are lovely, although the rockery is badly in need of restoration.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-19-2019

That's including the chapel at Emmanuel too, if I am seeing that right.

I attended a wedding there once - the bride was a former student.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - timio - 06-19-2019

Chapel, administrative building, cafeteria, and the older residence building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jgsz - 06-20-2019

I've driven and walked by the Duke Street parking garage many times and, until last year when we moved back to the city, I had no idea there was a tree growing in the middle of the ramp.  It complements the green paint quite well.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 06-20-2019

Here's an article that has some details about the development happening on the Emmanuel College property.
Developer: Urban Legends Developments 
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8754159-bible-college-sells-land-for-residential-development/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-20-2019

(06-20-2019, 08:48 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Here's an article that has some details about the development happening on the Emmanuel College property.
Developer: Urban Legends Developments 
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/8754159-bible-college-sells-land-for-residential-development/

Thanks! Neighbours unhappy, as is to be expected. However, the neighbourhood already has low-rise apartment buildings so this does not seem out of place.

based on the developer's comments, this will be four-storey low-rise building and townhouse condos, not rentals. A total of 137 units. The developer is proposing to keep many trees (good) and is requesting to provide less parking than the city minimum (also good). The city rejected the density and the parking so it's going to LPAT on appeal.

What's the transit availability in this area? It's definitely not very close to LRT.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - timio - 06-20-2019

Until Sunday, route 7 and 8 stop right at the corner. On Monday, the new route 8 will still be there with a short walk up to 28 at Franklin or a bit longer to route 1 a Thaler/Kinzie.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-20-2019

And that will take you to the LRT terminus at Fairway, right?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - timio - 06-20-2019

Correct.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - robdrimmie - 06-25-2019

I'm seeing rumours that Frankie's is closing and that they're currently selling their stools and chairs for $10.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 06-25-2019

(06-19-2019, 02:16 AM)HistoryInDecay Wrote: Sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it;

The lot formerly belonging to Emmanuel College now has a demolition fence up around it and some general machinery sitting on the property. Everything there 
will be demolished (along with two homes on the side of the property). 
It's at least half gone now

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 06-25-2019

(06-25-2019, 02:29 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm seeing rumours that Frankie's is closing and that they're currently selling their stools and chairs for $10.
That is a shame...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-25-2019

It will be deeply missed.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 06-25-2019

(06-25-2019, 02:29 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I'm seeing rumours that Frankie's is closing and that they're currently selling their stools and chairs for $10.

I had heard that as well and there is already a for lease sign up over their signage.