Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - cherrypark - 12-08-2019

(11-09-2019, 12:46 AM)cherrypark Wrote: Noticed some drilling for samples at the corner of Victoria and Walnut today. Along with review of the zoning in the vacant lot between the tracks and Victoria, and 196 Victoria St S changing hands, I wonder if there might be planning afoot for development in that spot.

Follow up on this - less exciting. Noticed some cuttings barrels with KWH labelled on them, and some digging across the intersection. More likely utility related vs. site condition check-out.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - westwardloo - 12-18-2019

New Article about the opposition to development of the Tim Horton's on Fredrick and Lancaster. this is the third negative article about the development. I get that the record need to report news but come on. Looks like there is nothing the residents can do as it falls under current zoning. People are upset it is currently being used as a cold weather shelter, but don't want to see it redeveloped. Sometimes you can't eat your cake and have it too. As a resident of Central Fredrick I welcome this kind of mixed use development. The more people living in the downtown core the better. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9778238--development-should-benefit-all-stakeholders-residents-say-they-have-no-say-in-intensification/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 12-18-2019

(12-18-2019, 12:38 PM)westwardloo Wrote: New Article about the opposition to development of the Tim Horton's on Fredrick and Lancaster. this is the third negative article about the development. I get that the record need to report news but come on. Looks like there is nothing the residents can do as it falls under current zoning. People are upset it is currently being used as a cold weather shelter, but don't want to see it redeveloped. Sometimes you can't eat your cake and have it too. As a resident of Central Fredrick I welcome this kind of mixed use development. The more people living in the downtown core the better. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9778238--development-should-benefit-all-stakeholders-residents-say-they-have-no-say-in-intensification/

Letter to the Editor time ...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-01-2020

So, any big new projects likely to be announced in DTK this year, or will the 2019 surge mean a quiet 2020? I know there are a couple of possibilities out there but don't know how long before they firm up. Without knowing, I'd guess that the tower proposed at Weber and Ontario might be the furthest along in planning.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 01-01-2020

Ya I think Weber/Ontario and Ontario/Duke could be the big DTK ones.

I think 2020 might feel a bit like a let down in terms of new projects because of how big 2019 was. Not that 2020 will be bad, but the bar was just so high. That being said, we've got a ton of projects to follow!

With that being said, I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a Happy New Year! I hope everyone's had an opportunity to relax and enjoy the holiday season. Thanks for an amazing 2019!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Bjays93 - 01-01-2020

I'm optimistic. 

With phase 2 of the LRT being approved, I think we might see a bit of a spur in cambridge, particularly in the galt area. 

Theres also been a some nice proposals and growth going on in other cities in ontario. Projects like M city in Mississauga, the 250+m project proposed for Niagara, and recent growth in London makes me think we could see a bunch more sizable proposals and maybe even a large phased project. 

I'm not expecting much 30+ stories maybe one, but in the 20 story range I think we'll still get plenty.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-02-2020

(01-01-2020, 06:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, any big new projects likely to be announced in DTK this year, or will the 2019 surge mean a quiet 2020?  I know there are a couple of possibilities out there but don't know how long before they firm up.  Without knowing, I'd guess that the tower proposed at Weber and Ontario might be the furthest along in planning.

Maybe not so many announcements, but lots of projects that have already been announced and should hopefully break ground:
  • Station Park phase 1
  • Avenue M
  • OTIS
  • 242-262 Queen St S
  • 64 Margaret Ave
  • Node Kitchener
  • 387-397 King St E
  • Electrohome redevelopment
  • The Hudson
  • Ontario Die Company redevelopment
  • 19-41 Mill St
Maybe we'll get some details on the Schneiders lands redevelopment plans, and just maybe 588-600 Queen St S will get kicked off.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 01:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-01-2020, 06:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, any big new projects likely to be announced in DTK this year, or will the 2019 surge mean a quiet 2020?  I know there are a couple of possibilities out there but don't know how long before they firm up.  Without knowing, I'd guess that the tower proposed at Weber and Ontario might be the furthest along in planning.

Maybe not so many announcements, but lots of projects that have already been announced and should hopefully break ground:
  • Station Park phase 1
  • Avenue M
  • OTIS
  • 242-262 Queen St S
  • 64 Margaret Ave
  • Node Kitchener
  • 387-397 King St E
  • The Hudson
  • 19-41 Mill St
Maybe we'll get some details on the Schneiders lands redevelopment plans, and just maybe 588-600 Queen St S will get kicked off.

Which one is "Node Kitchener"?  It's not ringing a bell with me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 03:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 01:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maybe not so many announcements, but lots of projects that have already been announced and should hopefully break ground:
  • Station Park phase 1
  • Avenue M
  • OTIS
  • 242-262 Queen St S
  • 64 Margaret Ave
  • Node Kitchener
  • 387-397 King St E
  • The Hudson
  • 19-41 Mill St

Which one is "Node Kitchener"?  It's not ringing a bell with me.
node is the one going on madison behind cameron heights. at the top of the hill.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 01:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

• Station Park phase 1
  • Avenue M
  • OTIS
  • 242-262 Queen St S
  • 64 Margaret Ave
  • Node Kitchener
  • 387-397 King St E
  • The Hudson
  • 19-41 Mill St

ODC has broken ground. They've been moving tons of dirt around.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 01-02-2020

The old convenience store at Ahrens and Wellington has been painted black and had new wooden fittings installed.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 01-02-2020

Don't forget the Howard Johnson on Weber. Maybe some movement on Ottawa across from Mount Trashmore

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 08:04 PM)white_brian Wrote: Don't forget the Howard Johnson on Weber. Maybe some movement on Ottawa across from Mount Trashmore

I figured that was a bit far to qualify as DTK. Big Grin

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-02-2020

(01-02-2020, 07:32 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The old convenience store at Ahrens and Wellington has been painted black and had new wooden fittings installed.

All it needs is a hitching post ....

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 01-03-2020

(01-02-2020, 11:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-02-2020, 07:32 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The old convenience store at Ahrens and Wellington has been painted black and had new wooden fittings installed.

All it needs is a hitching post ....

and some batwing doors and a couple of spitoons out front.