Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - plam - 01-18-2020

(01-17-2020, 06:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Which cities are you referring to, preferably in Canada?

For example, Toronto very much does require permits for food trucks:
https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/permits-licences-bylaws/food-trucks-food-carts-ice-cream-trucks/food-trucks/

Montreal is probably even worse than Toronto for being friendly to food trucks and no one would argue that is not vibrant.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 01-18-2020

I just heard on the No Such Thing as a Fish podcast that apparently the average cost for a food truck spot in NYC is over $200k. Perhaps our problem is that it's too cheap and easy for food trucks?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-18-2020

I've never understood the appeal of food trucks. Every time I've tried one, whether K-W or elsewhere, it was a matter of long line-ups and a lot of waiting for pretty mediocre food.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - JoeKW - 01-18-2020

Very expensive food at that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 01-19-2020

I've also found them surprisingly expensive. Good food. But expensive

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-19-2020

edit  (can't get the "delete" function to work).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 01-19-2020

(01-16-2020, 02:24 AM)nms Wrote: I guess the big question is: what have you done to contribute to the things to see and do here?

1. Have you attended any of the concerts that happen in the Region? They range in size from the Centre in the Square to medium theatres (eg the Registry) to house concerts (eg the KW Chamber Music Society) to porch parties. There are numerous bands and musical groups that create great music every day of the week in the Region if you know where to look.

2. Have you attended any of the theatre productions that range from professional to amateur? It's not Broadway or Mirvish but we're not New York.

3. Have you walked along the Grand River or along any of the other trails that are here?

4. Have you attended any of the festivals that happen here?

5. As an architect, have you contributed to creating great spaces that can host planned or impromptu gatherings and events?

6. Have you tried to find or create a community here that might have what you're looking for?

But frankly, there are some people in Waterloo Region who do appreciate that it isn't a bigger city like Toronto. We and those who lived here before us have built a community that more or less suits us.

Sigh, where to begin with this one...I won't until I'm on a desktop with keyboard. Too much to type on a phone.

The onus isn't on just me, a local resident, to create the community. The city planners, event coordinators etc are appointed, hired or volunteer to do this. 

Yes and we see those that feel Kitchener is too big and congested move to places like Ayr and Paris ON, Brantford etc. The reality is people need places to live and since GTA is out pricing them, they come here. That's what it is. And since people are here, they should have stuff to do. I know the weather is not very conducive of hanging around outside today (unless you really love the snow/snow activities etc) I personally find myself bored out of my mind.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 01-19-2020

(01-16-2020, 02:24 AM)nms Wrote: I guess the big question is: what have you done to contribute to the things to see and do here?

1. Have you attended any of the concerts that happen in the Region? They range in size from the Centre in the Square to medium theatres (eg the Registry) to house concerts (eg the KW Chamber Music Society) to porch parties. There are numerous bands and musical groups that create great music every day of the week in the Region if you know where to look.

2. Have you attended any of the theatre productions that range from professional to amateur? It's not Broadway or Mirvish but we're not New York.

3. Have you walked along the Grand River or along any of the other trails that are here?

5. As an architect, have you contributed to creating great spaces that can host planned or impromptu gatherings and events?

6. Have you tried to find or create a community here that might have what you're looking for?

But frankly, there are some people in Waterloo Region who do appreciate that it isn't a bigger city like Toronto. We and those who lived here before us have built a community that more or less suits us.

If you really want answers...

No, I don't attend concerts here - the kind of music I like is very very niche. I went to a theatre production once. I grew up a 10 minute bike ride from the Grand River. Yes, I've been to the festivals, but they're the same thing year after year. Yes, in the past I've been involved in the design of major buildings here (John M. Harper Library, Stephen Hawking Centre at the Perimeter Institute) that serve the community. No.

I know Waterloo Region is smaller and comparing it to Toronto is not fair, but nonetheless, there is just a lack of interesting things to do here for a lot of people. Of course this will change with time, as the city evolves.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - dtkmelissa - 01-19-2020

(01-19-2020, 08:03 PM)ac3r Wrote:

If you really want answers...

No, I don't attend concerts here - the kind of music I like is very very niche. I went to a theatre production once. I grew up a 10 minute bike ride from the Grand River. Yes, I've been to the festivals, but they're the same thing year after year. Yes, in the past I've been involved in the design of major buildings here (John M. Harper Library, Stephen Hawking Centre at the Perimeter Institute) that serve the community. No.

I know Waterloo Region is smaller and comparing it to Toronto is not fair, but nonetheless, there is just a lack of interesting things to do here for a lot of people. Of course this will change with time, as the city evolves.
I have to admit that I find this thread a bit surprising as I can't fathom being bored here. I find there's such an abundance of things to take part in that I often have more than one option in my calendar on any given day. Now I suspect I may be older than the average person on this forum, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I also moved here from a small town where I did indeed feel like there was a severe lack of things to do. I also talk to a lot of people about different things I attend and they often reply that they would have also attended had they only known about it. Perhaps some of the problem is getting the word out about all of the things happening in the area?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-19-2020

I am reminded of a UofW history professor who once told us that "there are no bored people, only boring people". It always stuck with me. The context was that it was 1975 and one of my fellow undergrads was complaining that K-W was boring ....

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 01-20-2020

(01-19-2020, 08:42 PM)dtkmelissa Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 08:03 PM)ac3r Wrote: If you really want answers...

I have to admit that I find this thread a bit surprising as I can't fathom being bored here. I find there's such an abundance of things to take part in that I often have more than one option in my calendar on any given day. Now I suspect I may be older than the average person on this forum, so perhaps that has something to do with it. I also moved here from a small town where I did indeed feel like there was a severe lack of things to do. I also talk to a lot of people about different things I attend and they often reply that they would have also attended had they only known about it. Perhaps some of the problem is getting the word out about all of the things happening in the area?
I concur with you....  I dont have enough time to take in all the event I want to go to.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 01-20-2020

(01-19-2020, 03:30 PM)Momo26 Wrote: The onus isn't on just me, a local resident, to create the community. The city planners, event coordinators etc are appointed, hired or volunteer to do this. 

Au contraire, ultimately it is only those who live here who can create the community. Our collectively-hired planners can do things to impede or encourage it (for example, by deciding whether to have a parking lot or a meeting space in front of a major covered shopping area in Uptown), but ultimately we are (mostly) free people who govern, and entertain, themselves.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-20-2020

(01-18-2020, 11:30 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Very expensive food at that.

(01-20-2020, 08:51 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-19-2020, 03:30 PM)Momo26 Wrote: The onus isn't on just me, a local resident, to create the community. The city planners, event coordinators etc are appointed, hired or volunteer to do this. 

Au contraire, ultimately it is only those who live here who can create the community. Our collectively-hired planners can do things to impede or encourage it (for example, by deciding whether to have a parking lot or a meeting space in front of a major covered shopping area in Uptown), but ultimately we are (mostly) free people who govern, and entertain, themselves.

It occurs to me that, despite their strengths, both univerities punch well below their weight in terms of their contributions to K-W's cultural and social life.  That seems to me to be true both of the institutions and the respective student bodies.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 09:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 11:30 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Very expensive food at that.

(01-20-2020, 08:51 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Au contraire, ultimately it is only those who live here who can create the community. Our collectively-hired planners can do things to impede or encourage it (for example, by deciding whether to have a parking lot or a meeting space in front of a major covered shopping area in Uptown), but ultimately we are (mostly) free people who govern, and entertain, themselves.

It occurs to me that, despite their strengths, both univerities punch well below their weight in terms of their contributions to K-W's cultural and social life.  That seems to me to be true both of the institutions and the respective student bodies.

Pulling out of Canada Day doesn’t help.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-20-2020

(01-20-2020, 10:56 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-20-2020, 09:41 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It occurs to me that, despite their strengths, both univerities punch well below their weight in terms of their contributions to K-W's cultural and social life.  That seems to me to be true both of the institutions and the respective student bodies.

Pulling out of Canada Day doesn’t help.

Yes, although that would be the least of it, istm.