Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-27-2021

(04-27-2021, 08:07 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(04-26-2021, 09:59 AM)ac3r Wrote: I haven't heard anything and I don't see any building applications on the City of Kitchener website for those streets. Maybe someone else knows. I wouldn't be surprised if something goes up here - particularly in that old car sales lot - since they want to heavily redevelop around Borden Station.

I reached out to Vive directly and they replied with a few details. They've had one community meeting and apparently they're working through the site plan application process. Sounds like it will be a "single-loaded corridor" with all units facing King E.

If what my buddy said is true, it will be around 10 storeys. I asked to be added to their list for the next community meeting.

So, is this for the used car dealership property?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 04-27-2021

(04-27-2021, 08:23 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 08:07 AM)DK519 Wrote: I reached out to Vive directly and they replied with a few details. They've had one community meeting and apparently they're working through the site plan application process. Sounds like it will be a "single-loaded corridor" with all units facing King E.

If what my buddy said is true, it will be around 10 storeys. I asked to be added to their list for the next community meeting.

So, is this for the used car dealership property?

Yea the one that burned last summer.

Sounds like it will be demolished soon too.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 04-27-2021

(04-27-2021, 08:07 AM)DK519 Wrote: I reached out to Vive directly and they replied with a few details. They've had one community meeting and apparently they're working through the site plan application process. Sounds like it will be a "single-loaded corridor" with all units facing King E.

Interesting, thanks! If it's Vive indeed, it's nice to see them focusing on the east end of downtown. This would be their 3rd project around here, in addition to 388 King and the 32 floor condo they're currently designing for the block almost across the street from here. Apart from Drewlo, I think they're the only developer doing work in this area since I think I remember hearing that Perimeter Developments' The Junction was possibly being cancelled because I believe I heard the property went up for sale after they announced plans for that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 04-27-2021

(04-27-2021, 12:53 PM)ac3r Wrote:

Interesting, thanks! If it's Vive indeed, it's nice to see them focusing on the east end of downtown. This would be their 3rd project around here, in addition to 388 King and the 32 floor condo they're currently designing for the block almost across the street from here. Apart from Drewlo, I think they're the only developer doing work in this area since I think I remember hearing that Perimeter Developments' The Junction was possibly being cancelled because I believe I heard the property went up for sale after they announced plans for that.

They're also in charge of the one on Borden by Sheppard school. Not sure what is going on with that at this point though. It does look like permits were issued though.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-27-2021

(04-27-2021, 12:58 PM)DK519 Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 12:53 PM)ac3r Wrote: Interesting, thanks! If it's Vive indeed, it's nice to see them focusing on the east end of downtown. This would be their 3rd project around here, in addition to 388 King and the 32 floor condo they're currently designing for the block almost across the street from here. Apart from Drewlo, I think they're the only developer doing work in this area since I think I remember hearing that Perimeter Developments' The Junction was possibly being cancelled because I believe I heard the property went up for sale after they announced plans for that.

They're also in charge of the one on Borden by Sheppard school. Not sure what is going on with that at this point though. It does look like permits were issued though.

It's being excavated. The full permit (for a 6F apartment building) has been issued.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 04-27-2021

"Tiny homes" have been approved in the City of Kitchener: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchener-council-votes-to-allow-tiny-homes-on-residential-properties-1.5403670

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 04-27-2021

(04-27-2021, 03:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: "Tiny homes" have been approved in the City of Kitchener: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kitchener-council-votes-to-allow-tiny-homes-on-residential-properties-1.5403670

It's definitely good news, although no silver bullet, and IMO probably far less meaningful than a lot of people think.

And yet the comments on twitter lead you to believe that council just approved the appocalypse. People be crazy.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 04-29-2021

New apartment building near Kitchener Market is welcome news for downtown neighbourhood

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-29-2021

(04-29-2021, 12:31 AM)Acitta Wrote: New apartment building near Kitchener Market is welcome news for downtown neighbourhood

A very positive article by the Record. A few expected complaints about the character of buildings nearby but seems not to be a significant issue.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 04-29-2021

For once I wish people could raise actual valid objections. The height of the building is a moot point because there is an awful looking office tower directly across the street already. The so called character of the nearby buildings includes a dilapidated modernist building across from it and red brick buildings wrapped in painted sheet metal and various other terrible buildings like New City Supermarket which is nothing but stucco and windows with faded vinyl wrap and security bars.

Just build the damn thing, we are in a dire need of affordable housing in this country before things get even worse. It's a gravel lot (sans the rusty old sign for the bridal store that was never taken down) that has been sitting empty for close to two decades.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 04-29-2021

(04-29-2021, 12:55 PM)ac3r Wrote: For once I wish people could raise actual valid objections. The height of the building is a moot point because there is an awful looking office tower directly across the street already. The so called character of the nearby buildings includes a dilapidated modernist building across from it and red brick buildings wrapped in painted sheet metal and various other terrible buildings like New City Supermarket which is nothing but stucco and windows with faded vinyl wrap and security bars.

Just build the damn thing, we are in a dire need of affordable housing in this country before things get even worse. It's a gravel lot (sans the rusty old sign for the bridal store that was never taken down) that has been sitting empty for close to two decades.

I didn't attend the meeting but it's hard to believe anyone could object to anything about this development.

This area is the dimly lit armpit of DTK and literally anything would be an improvement.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 04-30-2021

It's interesting, you almost never hear any comments related to design, just the height.

It makes me wonder if people don't see bad design or don't know they're looking at bad design. Height is easy to spot.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 04-30-2021

(04-29-2021, 01:02 PM)DK519 Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 12:55 PM)ac3r Wrote: For once I wish people could raise actual valid objections. The height of the building is a moot point because there is an awful looking office tower directly across the street already. The so called character of the nearby buildings includes a dilapidated modernist building across from it and red brick buildings wrapped in painted sheet metal and various other terrible buildings like New City Supermarket which is nothing but stucco and windows with faded vinyl wrap and security bars.

I didn't attend the meeting but it's hard to believe anyone could object to anything about this development.

This area is the dimly lit armpit of DTK and literally anything would be an improvement.
This "dimly lit armpit" you speak of is actually a very vibrant area.  I frequent this area with my children often.  Have you ever ate at Yeti Cafe, or gone into the record shop in the alley X-Disc-C music or Sunrise Music  and shopped for some old vinyl ? Or gone to the market ?  Or gone to the amazing bakeries ? Or gone to Pho Dau Bo ?  or shopped in the New City Supermarket ?  I could keep on going...  Just because it isnt as pretty as say uptown Waterloo, it does not deserve the term "Armpit".   I am curious if you have actually walked around the area and shopped, or just making a casual observation from when you drove by.  P.S.  I am not trying to label you, I am genuinely interested in what lens your view point is to make this determination.  I sure dont see it the same way.  I hear comments like this from people often about DTK in general, yet when I challenge them on when and what places they frequent to come to this conclusion, I met with the same,,, I dont go there, it isnt safe.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 04-30-2021

(04-30-2021, 07:19 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 01:02 PM)DK519 Wrote: I didn't attend the meeting but it's hard to believe anyone could object to anything about this development.

This "dimly lit armpit" you speak of is actually a very vibrant area.  I frequent this area with my children often.  Have you ever ate at Yeti Cafe, or gone into the record shop in the alley X-Disc-C music or Sunrise Music  and shopped for some old vinyl ? Or gone to the market ?  Or gone to the amazing bakeries ? Or gone to Pho Dau Bo ?  or shopped in the New City Supermarket ?  I could keep on going...  Just because it isnt as pretty as say uptown Waterloo, it does not deserve the term "Armpit".   I am curious if you have actually walked around the area and shopped, or just making a casual observation from when you drove by.  P.S.  I am not trying to label you, I am genuinely interested in what lens your view point is to make this determination.  I sure dont see it the same way.  I hear comments like this from people often about DTK in general, yet when I challenge them on when and what places they frequent to come to this conclusion, I met with the same,,, I dont go there, it isnt safe.

I don't want to get into a "who spends more time downtown" contest but yes, I walk this block about twice daily sometimes three times. I have been to all the places you mention some more regularly than others. 

Sorry if the term armpit might not have been totally appropriate but of all the areas downtown, this stretch of King has more garbage and is obviously more dimly lit than anywhere. I've seen more fights and been yelled at by more people than anywhere else as well. Most friends of mine avoid walking through here and will take Duke St instead.

I agree there are great destinations nearby but you can't argue that it hasn't been neglected for a long time.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 04-30-2021

It's definitely a vibrant area. I find the market, the artistic amenities (gallery, craft ateliers, music venue(s?) and shops) as well as all the businesses, cafes, restaurants and bars contribute a lot to the environment of this area. It looks older than the rest of downtown but that is very superficial. I think people continue to consider the area sketchy because, for the longest time, everything around Eby and Cedar was considered "the ghetto" to most people, though in reality it never really deserved such a title. There's nothing bad about it at all.