Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 06-14-2021

(06-14-2021, 10:38 AM)neonjoe Wrote: I don't think some people are bright enough that in many cases there are two choices, new development, or if you keep pushing developers away you can have vacant buildings, empty lots and blight. Maybe that's what they prefer. Keepin' it gritty.

Absolutely, too many people are like toddlers, who aren't willing to face the facts.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 06-15-2021

I think much of it is, "If you don't express an opinion, you too will have a tower in your backyard."

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BruceAshe - 06-17-2021

Not a huge project, but 27 Roy St has a redevelopment plan. Apartments and art space. https://bit.ly/3wBoWls

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-17-2021

Nice! We need to grow our artistic culture in this region. It's pathetically weak.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mastermind - 06-23-2021

Is there a thread for the Borden St project right near the Kitchener Aud? A tower crane went up there recently.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 06-23-2021

(06-23-2021, 12:13 PM)mastermind Wrote: Is there a thread for the Borden St project right near the Kitchener Aud?  A tower crane went up there recently.

Not sure, I wonder if the mods could make one if it doesn't exist?

Got a picture of it though, as it was going up.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-26-2021

Does anyone know if they're renovating the Oktoberfest building downtown? I've noticed the windows are boarded up and they have bins outside of the building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ZEBuilder - 06-26-2021

(06-26-2021, 05:14 PM)ac3r Wrote: Does anyone know if they're renovating the Oktoberfest building downtown? I've noticed the windows are boarded up and they have bins outside of the building.

The building was sold to Hans Haus Inc. and they are renovating it and converting the space into offices and retail.

Here's a CTV news article about it:
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/kw-oktoberfest-building-to-undergo-transformation-1.5430874

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 06-26-2021

That's a shame. It's an ugly building for sure, but that kitsch castle architecture has been an iconic part of the Kitchener identity so it seems suiting for the Oktoberfest offices.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-26-2021

A part of our identity that I won’t miss, I must say.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 06-26-2021

(06-26-2021, 06:12 PM)ac3r Wrote: That's a shame. It's an ugly building for sure, but that kitsch castle architecture has been an iconic part of the Kitchener identity so it seems suiting for the Oktoberfest offices.

How long has it been ugly? Before making it ugly it wasn't ugly. But I honestly can't remember when they renovated it to make it ugly.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-26-2021

It was a standard issue red brick commercial building with a ground floor storefront. The renovation will be an improvement, I think.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-26-2021

(06-26-2021, 06:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A part of our identity that I won’t miss, I must say.

And getting retail/restaurant space on the ground floor will be an improvement, too.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 06-28-2021

I think the castle façade is about 15 years old (a Wikipedia image of the building is dated 2006).  Prior to that, it was more of an A-frame façade (if you traced the angle from the ground floor front windows, you get a general idea).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 06-29-2021

(06-28-2021, 10:59 PM)nms Wrote: I think the castle façade is about 15 years old (a Wikipedia image of the building is dated 2006).  Prior to that, it was more of an A-frame façade (if you traced the angle from the ground floor front windows, you get a general idea).

I would have guessed earlier. Amazing how quickly changes become part of the environment and feel like they had always been there. I was talking to somebody just a couple of weeks ago and commented that the LRT had opened in 2019. They had only come to the city since then and didn’t realize it hadn’t been there for much longer.

I must confess I like oddities like the castle building. It may be in poor taste, but I’m a little sorry to see it change. Even the J&J building on Weber with its crenellations brings a bit of character to that bit of the road. That being said, I wouldn’t want too many buildings to look like that!