Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 08-13-2021

(08-11-2021, 06:58 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 06:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Wasn’t there a proposal a few years back to expand the offices by putting a few glass-clad storeys on top of the existing building?

Yes, that was the developer that did the office condo conversion. But clearly that project failed given what's happened. Not too surprising IMO, organizations are generally moving away from office ownership.
Van Mar purchased the building and paid a new record price. It is in The Record today.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 08:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 06:58 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Yes, that was the developer that did the office condo conversion. But clearly that project failed given what's happened. Not too surprising IMO, organizations are generally moving away from office ownership.
Van Mar purchased the building and paid a new record price. It is in The Record today.

https://outline.com/RzU2CL

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 08-13-2021

That would seem to increase the chances that the existing building will be lost, which is unfortunate (imo).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 09:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That would seem to increase the chances that the existing building will be lost, which is unfortunate (imo).

Yes ... I don't think Van Mar does office buildings.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 10:12 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 09:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That would seem to increase the chances that the existing building will be lost, which is unfortunate (imo).

Yes ... I don't think Van Mar does office buildings.

Station Park is supposed to have an office building in the corner closest to Google. 10fl of office, with 36fl of residential above.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 08:35 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 08:08 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Van Mar purchased the building and paid a new record price. It is in The Record today.

https://outline.com/RzU2CL

I'm glad that's all public, I think I might have been speaking to the same person as Terry.

The property referred to at Victoria/Park includes the iPrint right on the corner, and the industrial building that now has Taste of Seoul in it, plus some adjacent properties (2.2 acres is big). That property is rather contaminated, hence the lower price, but the Toronto-based developer is apparently ready to clean it up. They're planning for 2-3 towers on it.

The Victoria St N property is I believe the strip mall at the corner of Victoria/Duke that currently has The Cake Box in it. I was told to expect 40+ floors there.

There's strong development interest in Victoria St N, a number of developers are looking at properties along there out to Weber. Victoria St S apparently isn't as a popular, as building on the south/east side of Victoria St along there is too close to the houses and the resulting expected opposition.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-13-2021

I'm surprised there's so much interest ON Victoria in the first place. It's a pretty unpleasant traffic sewer. But I guess that doesn't deter developers.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 04:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm surprised there's so much interest ON Victoria in the first place. It's a pretty unpleasant traffic sewer. But I guess that doesn't deter developers.

No, it doesn't deter them.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but if you're walking or biking, you don't need to stay on Victoria. And if you do drive, it's convenient. So, for many potential buyers, it's probably not a major downside. And the availability of land on Victoria is relatively good.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 05:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 04:11 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm surprised there's so much interest ON Victoria in the first place. It's a pretty unpleasant traffic sewer. But I guess that doesn't deter developers.

No, it doesn't deter them.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but if you're walking or biking, you don't need to stay on Victoria. And if you do drive, it's convenient. So, for many potential buyers, it's probably not a major downside.

I mean besides living on the noisy, dangerous, polluted neighbourhood cuttoff that it is. The biggest advantage of living downtown to me is the walkability and it's an extremely unpleasant place to walk.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 08-13-2021

(08-13-2021, 06:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 05:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: No, it doesn't deter them.

It wouldn't be my first choice, but if you're walking or biking, you don't need to stay on Victoria. And if you do drive, it's convenient. So, for many potential buyers, it's probably not a major downside.

I mean besides living on the noisy, dangerous, polluted neighbourhood cuttoff that it is. The biggest advantage of living downtown to me is the walkability and it's an extremely unpleasant place to walk.

Can you explain what you mean by that, Dan?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-14-2021

(08-13-2021, 10:12 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 06:50 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean besides living on the noisy, dangerous, polluted neighbourhood cuttoff that it is. The biggest advantage of living downtown to me is the walkability and it's an extremely unpleasant place to walk.

Can you explain what you mean by that, Dan?

Victoria St has a lot of traffic.  I'm not sure what you'd like me to explain?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 08-14-2021

(08-14-2021, 06:09 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 10:12 PM)jeffster Wrote: Can you explain what you mean by that, Dan?

Victoria St has a lot of traffic.  I'm not sure what you'd like me to explain?

But once you cross the (admittedly noisy and unpleasant) street, you can indeed be on walkable streets.

As I said, I would not like it myself, but it may not be objectionable to everyone.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 08-15-2021

(08-14-2021, 02:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 06:09 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Victoria St has a lot of traffic.  I'm not sure what you'd like me to explain?

But once you cross the (admittedly noisy and unpleasant) street, you can indeed be on walkable streets.

As I said, I would not like it myself, but it may not be objectionable to everyone.

So one must walk along the bad road, wait at a crossing of the bad road, then cross the bad road before one can not be on the bad road.

I think for people who don't find it objectionable simply think they don't like walking.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 08-15-2021

I love to walk around DTK and other areas for that matter. When I walk, I don't have music in my ears disconecting me from the souroundings, I walk with attention to the traffic, vehicles, other pedestrians, and often cyclists who too cause concern. I do this with a purpose, to arrive at my destination safely just as I would if I was operating a vehicle. When I walk in these areas that you declare are unpleasant, I don't see it that way at all. I see, hear and smell the many different experiences which I find enjoyable. It is these experiences that I want to encounter when I go walking.

If I want peace and tranquility, I go for a hike on the Bruce Trail or other designated conservation/naturL areas.

I guess my point is that your unpleasant is another person's enjoyment. Everyone views life through a different lense...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Bjays93 - 08-15-2021

(08-15-2021, 10:51 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I love to walk around DTK and other areas for that matter.  When I walk, I don't have music in my ears disconecting me from the souroundings,  I walk with attention to the traffic, vehicles, other pedestrians, and often cyclists who too cause concern. I do this with a purpose, to arrive at my destination safely just as I would if I was operating a vehicle.  When I walk in these areas that you declare are unpleasant, I don't see it that way at all.  I see, hear and smell the many different experiences which I find enjoyable.  It is these experiences that I want to encounter when I go walking.

If I want peace and tranquility, I go for a hike on the Bruce Trail or other designated conservation/naturL areas.

I guess my point is that your unpleasant is another person's enjoyment.  Everyone views life through a different lense...
Same for me. When I go for a walk downtown, I want that big city feel. I like walking in the shadow of buildings towering over me, I enjoy the sound of construction ringing aloud, and vehicles and bikes and people going by. I dont mind narrow sidewalks, or walking amongst traffic (i grew up in Hong Kong so it feels homey in a way) i totally understand other people not liking that, but for me thats part of the charm of the big city. 

I'll go elsewhere for peace and quiet and to soak in the sounds of nature.