Waterloo Region Connected
17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) (/showthread.php?tid=1612)

17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - taylortbb - 09-17-2021

This project has had dozens of posts in the general updates thread, so I figured it was time for its own thread. Mods, can you move the previous discussion here?

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - taylortbb - 09-17-2021

The castle facade is mostly down now. The building underneath is nicer than I expected, I can't imagine why anyone ever wanted to cover it up. Especially bricking up real windows only to cover it with fake stucco windows.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - ac3r - 09-17-2021

Wow. They sure used a lot of adhesive to glue that faux castle façade on. I didn't know the windows were bricked up too.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - jamincan - 09-17-2021

What did they do in there?

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - KevinL - 09-18-2021

I believe that was already bricked over when Oktoberfest moved in during the 90s, and they just applied the castle features to replace an earlier facade.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - Coke6pk - 09-24-2021

(09-17-2021, 04:58 PM)jamincan Wrote: What did they do in there?

Meeting rooms and storage mostly.

That triangle shape on the front, was that a peaked roof that stuck out when it was a sports store, or am I making that architectural detail up?

Coke

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - tomh009 - 09-24-2021

(09-24-2021, 10:43 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: That triangle shape on the front, was that a peaked roof that stuck out when it was a sports store, or am I making that architectural detail up?

I do think that matches my recollection of the Riordan's roofline.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - panamaniac - 09-24-2021

Correct re the triangle. I seem to recall that there was a childrens clothing store there prior to the Riordans makeover, but my memory may be off.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - cherrypark - 03-29-2022

The building is up for leasing for the ground floor tenant, which looks to provide both ground and basement space together. Brightpath Capital to be leasing the upper two units.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - dtkvictim - 03-29-2022

(03-29-2022, 07:33 PM)cherrypark Wrote: The building is up for leasing for the ground floor tenant, which looks to provide both ground and basement space together. Brightpath Capital to be leasing the upper two units.

Interesting take on the LRT route...

[Image: qke1HGq.png]

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - Lens - 03-29-2022

I always love Google as a "feature" in publications and maps like this, forgetting the fact that 99.9 percent of people can't and won't ever enter the building.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - cherrypark - 03-29-2022

(03-29-2022, 09:28 PM)Lens Wrote: I always love Google as a "feature" in publications and maps like this, forgetting the fact that 99.9 percent of people can't and won't ever enter the building.

Well, for a potential restaurant/retail space, it is definitely a feature! And I would suspect the residential ads you see marking it as a landmark has more to do with inventory buyers wanting to know well paid tenants from the city's fastest growing employer are a block away than it being a landmark for potential owner residents.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - westwardloo - 03-30-2022

They also have the LRT running down king st and weber, instead of charles and duke.

RE: 17 Benton St (Old Oktoberfest Building) - nms - 03-30-2022

"You had one job..."

I am always surprised that realtors neglect to get the details right in their ads. I have found blatant mistakes in local amenities descriptions that are attached to various property descriptions. The text is clearly copied and pasted from a general Waterloo Region realty portal.