Waterloo Region Connected
Electric BBQs - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Connected Café (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Forum: General and Off-Topic Discussion (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Electric BBQs (/showthread.php?tid=1715)

Pages: 1 2

Electric BBQs - danbrotherston - 08-12-2022

Hey All,

I wasn't really sure where to put this one, so..."General Off-Topic" it is.

I'm sure you folks won't be surprised that I am interested in divesting myself of fossil fuel infrastructure. While I am renting, I cannot change that I am using a gas combi boiler, but I did get an induction hotplate to use instead of the gas stove (which is awesome, because during a heatwave you can bring it to the patio and cook outside) but I also found that I could get an Electric BBQ here.

I'm not sure who here would be interested, but I was surprised that you can also get them in Canada.

What we got was this: https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/barbecues/products/portable-grills/travelq-pro-series/travelq-pro285e-pro285e-bk

It's a completely normal Napolean BBQ but with an electric burner instead of gas. I've been really impressed. It heats up faster than gas, but works the same way in every other way. It's been great to use. Now it is what they are calling "travel" size. For me, it's more than big enough for a BBQ for a family of three, even with two guests. Rarely have I ever needed or used a full size BBQ. (And portability is nice because I can store it in the shed).

But if you do want a full size BBQ, I'm amazed but Napolean is coming out with a full size electric BBQ. I am seriously excited about this, I love BBQing and being able to do it without using fossil fuels is awesome. And...also way more convenient, no more running out to get propane cylinders.

Edit: This is also a game changer for folks with balconies where gas grills are banned for safety reasons. FWIW last time I had a balcony I also had a tabletop grill...but it was not at all like a real BBQ, more like an electric griddle...this IS a real BBQ.

RE: Electric BBQs - tomh009 - 08-12-2022

Yes, some of the people in our building have electric BBQs as well. Compared to a propane/natural gas BBQ, it is functionally identical and there is no difference in the flavour of the food. Old-style charcoal BBQs are a whole different thing, of course, but in practice few people use them on a regular basis.

We haven't got one ourselves as we have found that we BBQ far less now that we are rarely eating meat. I'd still love to do fish on a charcoal grille but I'm not going to buy one just for that ...

RE: Electric BBQs - danbrotherston - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 10:40 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes, some of the people in our building have electric BBQs as well. Compared to a propane/natural gas BBQ, it is functionally identical and there is no difference in the flavour of the food. Old-style charcoal BBQs are a whole different thing, of course, but in practice few people use them on a regular basis.

We haven't got one ourselves as we have found that we BBQ far less now that we are rarely eating meat. I'd still love to do fish on a charcoal grille but I'm not going to buy one just for that ...

I was a little surprised, there are a lot more charcoal grills here than I saw in Canada--at least 3 neighbours have them.

I suspect propane grills are a little less convenient here, propane cylinders aren't exactly on every corner (and some run on butane here I think as well).

I think I'm the only one with an electric grill even here.

FWIW..I BBQ a lot of veggies on it as well...I just enjoy cooking out doors for some reason...and it also lets me do smokey cooking without affecting indoor air quality much.

RE: Electric BBQs - ac3r - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 10:40 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Compared to a propane/natural gas BBQ, it is functionally identical and there is no difference in the flavour of the food.

Tell that to Hank Hill...taste the meat, not the heat!

RE: Electric BBQs - plam - 08-12-2022

Thanks! I have been looking for ways to BBQ. I used to have a charcoal BBQ but it took super long to heat up. It rusted away so I don't have it anymore. I never did bother getting a propane BBQ. This looks like a good option. (I say that as I'm about to leave KW for the fall, but might be useful for a picnic I'm having tomorrow).

There is a Napoleon dealer in Waterloo that I may stop by tomorrow.

RE: Electric BBQs - danbrotherston - 08-12-2022

(08-12-2022, 12:57 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 10:40 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Compared to a propane/natural gas BBQ, it is functionally identical and there is no difference in the flavour of the food.

Tell that to Hank Hill...taste the meat, not the heat!

I think Hank Hill was arguing against charcoal grills...

Aside from some likely political identity issues, he'd be all on board with electric grills.

RE: Electric BBQs - tomh009 - 08-12-2022

Presumably he would be opposed to smoking {meat|fish|sausages|other things} as well, then ...

RE: Electric BBQs - jeffster - 01-01-2023

(08-12-2022, 09:03 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Hey All,

I'm sure you folks won't be surprised that I am interested in divesting myself of fossil fuel infrastructure. While I am renting, I cannot change that I am using a gas combi boiler, but I did get an induction hotplate to use instead of the gas stove (which is awesome, because during a heatwave you can bring it to the patio and cook outside) but I also found that I could get an Electric BBQ here.

I'm not sure who here would be interested, but I was surprised that you can also get them in Canada.

What we got was this: https://www.napoleon.com/en/ca/barbecues/products/portable-grills/travelq-pro-series/travelq-pro285e-pro285e-bk

It's a completely normal Napolean BBQ but with an electric burner instead of gas. I've been really impressed. It heats up faster than gas, but works the same way in every other way. It's been great to use. Now it is what they are calling "travel" size. For me, it's more than big enough for a BBQ for a family of three, even with two guests. Rarely have I ever needed or used a full size BBQ. (And portability is nice because I can store it in the shed).

But if you do want a full size BBQ, I'm amazed but Napolean is coming out with a full size electric BBQ. I am seriously excited about this, I love BBQing and being able to do it without using fossil fuels is awesome. And...also way more convenient, no more running out to get propane cylinders.

Edit: This is also a game changer for folks with balconies where gas grills are banned for safety reasons. FWIW last time I had a balcony I also had a tabletop grill...but it was not at all like a real BBQ, more like an electric griddle...this IS a real BBQ.

I'd imagine you could cook inside too -- no CO to worry about. I have electric grills (open face) but not a BBQ.

RE: Electric BBQs - danbrotherston - 01-01-2023

(01-01-2023, 04:30 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-12-2022, 09:03 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Hey All,

I'd imagine you could cook inside too -- no CO to worry about. I have electric grills (open face) but not a BBQ.

That's a good point...I don't see any safety reason you couldn't do that.

It's still messy like a BBQ so you'd probably want to be either much more careful with cleaning it, or change what/how you cook.

That being said, it would be great for some ... semi-indoor areas where people do sometimes use a BBQ (especially in winter) that are in a grey area...i.e., on a covered porch or in the garage.

As an aside, I've also enjoyed having an induction hotplate that we're using rather than a built in range for the opposite reason...in the summer, during the heatwave, I could take it outside and do all the hot kitchen work on the patio to keep the house cooler.

As a second aside...I find it ironic that we see the dangers of putting a gas BBQ in an enclosed area but most people don't see the dangers of using a gas stove and oven (which is basically the same thing) indoors (FWIW....I suspect the dangers are largely comparable...LP a comparably clean burning fuel to natural gas).

RE: Electric BBQs - plam - 01-04-2023

Good point, I put it outside but there's no real reason it has to be except for splattering. The cable makes it so that I have to put it in kind of an annoying place outside...

RE: Electric BBQs - tomh009 - 01-04-2023

(01-01-2023, 04:30 PM)jeffster Wrote: I'd imagine you could cook inside too -- no CO to worry about. I have electric grills (open face) but not a BBQ.

We have a Breville grille with two plates so you can also do paninis. For inside use, I think more convenient (and compact!) than an electric BBQ.

RE: Electric BBQs - danbrotherston - 01-05-2023

(01-04-2023, 10:10 PM)plam Wrote: Good point, I put it outside but there's no real reason it has to be except for splattering. The cable makes it so that I have to put it in kind of an annoying place outside...

Is it not possible to use an extension cord?  That’s how I have mine setup?

RE: Electric BBQs - ijmorlan - 01-05-2023

(01-05-2023, 08:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-04-2023, 10:10 PM)plam Wrote: Good point, I put it outside but there's no real reason it has to be except for splattering. The cable makes it so that I have to put it in kind of an annoying place outside...

Is it not possible to use an extension cord?  That’s how I have mine setup?

Just make sure it’s a heavy-duty extension cord. The instructions for the BBQ probably say not to use an extension cord at all but they just don’t want somebody to use a lightweight one.

RE: Electric BBQs - danbrotherston - 01-05-2023

(01-05-2023, 10:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-05-2023, 08:33 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Is it not possible to use an extension cord?  That’s how I have mine setup?

Just make sure it’s a heavy-duty extension cord. The instructions for the BBQ probably say not to use an extension cord at all but they just don’t want somebody to use a lightweight one.

Yes...in Canada it'd be important to use an extension with 12 gauge wiring.

That being said, in Europe the same BBQ uses less than 10 amps Tongue  240v circuits deliver a shocking about amount of power.

That being said, I don't think Europe has the same kind of light duty extension cords as Canada....every Schuko plug extension cord I've seen has been rated to carry the full 16 amps available on a standard circuit (there are light duty extension cords around but they seem to only have the europlug socket which is only rated for 2.5 amps and so couldn't be used with high draw appliances).

RE: Electric BBQs - plam - 01-06-2023

(01-05-2023, 04:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-05-2023, 10:01 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Just make sure it’s a heavy-duty extension cord. The instructions for the BBQ probably say not to use an extension cord at all but they just don’t want somebody to use a lightweight one.

Yes...in Canada it'd be important to use an extension with 12 gauge wiring.

That being said, in Europe the same BBQ uses less than 10 amps Tongue  240v circuits deliver a shocking about amount of power.

That being said, I don't think Europe has the same kind of light duty extension cords as Canada....every Schuko plug extension cord I've seen has been rated to carry the full 16 amps available on a standard circuit (there are light duty extension cords around but they seem to only have the europlug socket which is only rated for 2.5 amps and so couldn't be used with high draw appliances).

I don't actually own any extension cords... the other thing about 240V circuits is that electric kettles are fast!