Waterloo Region Connected
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph (/showthread.php?tid=225)

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - danbrotherston - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 08:22 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Dan, you're worrying about what will happen without planning.  But it's a fact that we do have planning: the region, the cities and the townships all have official plans.  All of these are fundamentally aligned in protecting farmland, containing urban sprawl, focusing development only in specific areas and promoting intensification (within the cities). 

It could certainly happen that thousands and thousands of single-family homes will be built in new subdivisions between Kitchener and Guelph.  But in order for that to happen, both the townships and the region will need to change direction, revise their development policies and update their official plans.  At this time no one -- not the cities, not the townships, not the region -- has indicated any desire or intent to do that, so I am not expecting it to happen.

Policies and plans can indeed be changed later.  But so can any legislation, or even the constitution.  At this point in time I have trust in our region, our cities and our townships that they indeed have the right direction, and they intend to stay with it.  Of course, if you cannot trust them to do that, then it's a whole different situation.

You're right.  We do have plans, and our current politicians seem to fully support them.  I don't think Wellington county has nearly as aggressive protection as we have.  Also, the area has no protection provincially, which I think should be fixed.

But you're also right, these things change, politicians change, policies change, and they bend to pressure from various developer interests.  So this is why I would oppose the highway and similar highways in other areas, why provide the temptation, they're much harder to change than politicians.

Anyway, I think this conversation has run it's course.  Lets see meet back in 50 years what Highway 7 looks like between Guelph and KW.  I hope I'll be proven wrong.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - DKsan - 09-27-2016

Wellington Township is completely within, smothered by, the Greenbelt. I don't we have to worry too much about sprawl along the highway.

We might have concerns about Guelph though.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - mpd618 - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 06:27 AM)jamincan Wrote: What were the transit options between Cambridge and Kitchener prior to GRT? I wonder if the lack of transit links between Guelph and KW is an interjurisdictional issue more than anything else.

Both the Region of Waterloo and the City of Guelph have interest in direct transit connections, but no one has stepped up to implement it. I'm sure the bureaucratic complexity is a factor, as are the current intercity bus regulations.

(09-27-2016, 09:24 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: There *are* already links between these regions, the new Highway 7 follows old highway 7.  The only difference is an increase in capacity.

That's not true. The new highway will by-pass a dozen signalized intersections, so in addition to the higher highway speeds it will also have less intersection delay. I'm going to guess that the new route will be 5-10 minutes faster, which does matter.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - SammyOES2 - 09-27-2016

"That's not true. The new highway will by-pass a dozen signalized intersections, so in addition to the higher highway speeds it will also have less intersection delay. I'm going to guess that the new route will be 5-10 minutes faster, which does matter."

Exactly.  Plus the development that is going in will slow down the road even more because there's at least 1 and I think 2 new roundabouts planned for the current highway. 

I think my biggest problem with what Dan's saying is that it just feels like he's against anything remotely related to outward growth / improved car transportation.  And that's just not practical/reasonable for where we are right now.  And I also find it hurts the overall transit strategy by turning a lot of people off.

(09-27-2016, 08:48 PM)DKsan Wrote: Wellington Township is completely within, smothered by, the Greenbelt. I don't we have to worry too much about sprawl along the highway.

We might have concerns about Guelph though.

http://www.mah.gov.on.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=12342

Very little of Wellington County, and none of the area between Guelph and KW is included in the greenbelt.

The province is currently doing an evaluation of the greenbelt, you can help advocate for including our region in the greenbelt:

http://smartgrowthwaterloo.ca/2016/07/18/help-support-greenbelt-expansion-in-waterloo-region/

(09-27-2016, 08:55 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: "That's not true. The new highway will by-pass a dozen signalized intersections, so in addition to the higher highway speeds it will also have less intersection delay. I'm going to guess that the new route will be 5-10 minutes faster, which does matter."

Exactly.  Plus the development that is going in will slow down the road even more because there's at least 1 and I think 2 new roundabouts planned for the current highway. 

I think my biggest problem with what Dan's saying is that it just feels like he's against anything remotely related to outward growth / improved car transportation.  And that's just not practical/reasonable for where we are right now.  And I also find it hurts the overall transit strategy by turning a lot of people off.

Like I said, I'm not against growth, even greenfield growth, so long as it's smart growth, sustainable growth.  I'm against continued unsustainable "dumb" growth, which I see, building a highway, and no transit as perpetuating.

That's all.

In other news, the Netherlands was recently found to be the best place in the world to drive https://www.waze.com/driverindex

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - BuildingScout - 09-27-2016

I said it before and I'll say it again:

We shouldn't force people off cars, but tempt them into public high quality efficient transportation.

I've lived in Germany and travel there several times a year. Germany has the best car infrastructure in the world: no speed limit autobahns. Yet, in all that time I've rented a car exactly once, since I always found public transit (tram, buses , LRT, trains) to be the preferable option.

(09-27-2016, 09:11 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I said it before and I'll say it again:

We shouldn't force people off cars, but tempt them into public high quality efficient transportation.

I've lived in Germany and travel there several times a year. Germany has the best car infrastructure in the world: no speed limit autobahns. Yet, in all that time I've rented a car exactly once, since I always found public transit (tram, buses , LRT, trains) to be the preferable option.

I believe there are two things that are done to disincentivize driving.  First, driver's bear much more of the cost of driving than they do here.  Whether you call that disincentivizing or simply being fair, I'm not sure, but either way, it makes driving far less attractive because a huge part of the cost is no longer paid by "other people".

Second, cars are often banned from city centers etc.

But generally yes, attracting to transit is a better option.  Just as we've done with driving for 50 years.

Dan, you keep saying things like "which I see, building a highway, and no transit as perpetuating." which are just blatantly untrue.

We are building out transit.  There's a whole lot of money being spent to improve transit between KW, Guelph, and Toronto with a true long term vision.  The "sprawl" that you're complaining about being built between KW/Guelph is literally planning to include a major transit station that will offer options not just to Guelph but to Toronto.

Could there be more done short term?  Absolutely.  But it literally has nothing to do with the highway.

Edit: To be even clearer - It's possible (although unlikely) that 2-way, all-day GO trains between KW/Toronto (covering Guelph!) will be running before the new highway 7 is open.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - BuildingScout - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 09:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I believe there are two things that are done to disincentivize driving.  First, driver's bear much more of the cost of driving than they do here.  Whether you call that disincentivizing or simply being fair, I'm not sure, but either way, it makes driving far less attractive because a huge part of the cost is no longer paid by "other people".

Second, cars are often banned from city centers etc.

But generally yes, attracting to transit is a better option.  Just as we've done with driving for 50 years.

I have a travel budget that pays for the car, so cost wasn't an issue in my case. Also, while many streets city center streets are closed, you can easily get rather close to the center. Additionally there is plenty of well advertised parking near it, which includes live updates as to the number of free spaces available in each location.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - tomh009 - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 08:45 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Anyway, I think this conversation has run it's course.  Lets see meet back in 50 years what Highway 7 looks like between Guelph and KW.  I hope I'll be proven wrong.

I hope so, too.  Sadly, I may be dead before we find out! Sad

(09-27-2016, 09:33 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: I have a travel budget that pays for the car, so cost wasn't an issue in my case. Also, while many streets city center streets are closed, you can easily get rather close to the center. Additionally there is plenty of well advertised parking near it, which includes live updates as to the number of free spaces available in each location.

Ahh, that is nice lol.

Yes, that is true, that is another thing I would point out, I think Europe actually makes more efficient use of their car infrastructure as well.

I don't have any numbers on it, but it is my impression, quiet rural roads here, are always two lanes wide, but in the Netherlands they were usually 1 - 1.75 lanes wide, requiring cars to either slowly squeeze past each other or use turnouts. For quite roads, this is probably both safer (as it forces drivers to go slower) and cheaper, requiring less paving. And using a parking management system like that would help mitigate the problem of users perceiving parking that is only 60% used, as "being full all the time" as we currently see in uptown parking studies.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - DHLawrence - 09-27-2016

(09-27-2016, 06:27 AM)jamincan Wrote: What were the transit options between Cambridge and Kitchener prior to GRT? I wonder if the lack of transit links between Guelph and KW is an interjurisdictional issue more than anything else.

It was either take the Trentway Wager bus that ran between Kitchener and Hamilton or take the 2 Coronation bus to the top of Shantz Hill and walk to Sportsworld to catch a Kitchener Transit bus.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - notmyfriends - 09-27-2016

When is the planned completion date for the new highway anyway? Has any such guess been put out there?

I think its just "beyond 2020" right now.  

It sounds like by the end of next year they'll have done some of the work around 85 (the Victoria street bridge, some of the Wellington exit) and a bunch of prep like building demolition.  But that sounds like it.  And there's still a lot of work to do after that.  My wild ass guess is like 2022.

Edit: Just noticed that it looks like the Victoria street bridge isn't going to be replaced until 2018.  So... even 2022 is probably optimistic.  Although I assume once they actually start building the bulk of the road it will actually go quite quickly.