Waterloo Region Connected
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph (/showthread.php?tid=225)

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - JCnb - 12-12-2016

Traffic lights have been installed at the intersection of Wellington & Riverbend/Shirley however not yet active as of Sunday. This will be a huge improvement over the previous and awkward 3 way stop setup. There are a few feet of roadway east of the intersection for the Shirley extension however still plenty of work and fill needed to connect the gap.

Also, some time ago, the NB 85 to EB Wellington ramp was dug up and is no longer.

Utility work is also well underway on Victoria itself with a multitude of lane closures in the Bruce St area.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - embe - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 02:38 PM)JCnb Wrote: Utility work is also well underway on Victoria itself with a multitude of lane closures in the Bruce St area.

Traffic pretty bad in this area on the way through tonight.  Victoria and Bruce intersection has lanes rerouted by the bridge so traffic was backed up past the Frederick/Victoria intersection and drivers were diverting down Frederick (thus jamming it up too).  Curious to see how the upcoming Wellington/Shirley route relieves this situation before the bridge work really begins.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - SammyOES2 - 12-12-2016

"Also, some time ago, the NB 85 to EB Wellington ramp was dug up and is no longer."

I drove by tonight but it was dark. It looks like you can now get off NB 85 from the north and then make a left turn onto Wellington to go east. Is that right?

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Smore - 12-12-2016

(12-12-2016, 09:41 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: "Also, some time ago, the NB 85 to EB Wellington ramp was dug up and is no longer."

I drove by tonight but it was dark. It looks like you can now get off NB 85 from the north and then make a left turn onto Wellington to go east. Is that right?

Yes, Wellington is accessible in both directions, from both expressway directions. And, both expressway directions are accessible from both Wellington directions.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - KevinT - 12-14-2016

(12-12-2016, 09:41 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: "Also, some time ago, the NB 85 to EB Wellington ramp was dug up and is no longer."

I drove by tonight but it was dark.  It looks like you can now get off NB 85 from the north and then make a left turn onto Wellington to go east.  Is that right?

Yes, the traffic lights at the top of the ramp (complete with sensor loops) are active to make this easier, and all four lanes of Wellington are open.  I was quite dismayed this evening to see that the Wellington / Riverbank / Shirley lights were still covered with the all-way stop remaining in effect.  Not a big deal at 9:00 p.m. but must be murder during the day with Victoria traffic now trying to divert...  Sad

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - SammyOES2 - 12-14-2016

Yeah, I almost turned into the wrong lane last night because I didn't realize the eastbound side had opened. Thankfully they had pylons to stop people from doing that.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Coke6pk - 12-15-2016

(12-14-2016, 09:45 AM)SammyOES2 Wrote: Yeah, I almost turned into the wrong lane last night because I didn't realize the eastbound side had opened.  Thankfully they had pylons to stop people from doing that.

I too almost made the same oops.  Problem is the sign below is still on the centre median at the off ramp from S/B Xway.

Coke

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Canard - 12-15-2016

Traffic on the Victoria St. bridge over the highway has been modified so that 1 lane WB and 1 lane EB are now made from the 2 WB lanes; the South side of the bridge is blocked off. I suspect this has to do more with the Bruce St. extension than it does the actual rebuilding of this bridge, so I've mentioned it in this thread.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - timio - 12-15-2016

Utility relocation for both the Bruce Street extension and Victoria bridge replacement.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Coke6pk - 12-20-2016

Drive by the Wellington/Shirley area yesterday, and was happy to see that if we need big ugly grey boxes for the traffic lights, at least the Region pretty'd them up a bit! Smile

Coke

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - SammyOES2 - 12-20-2016

I'll have to tell my wife about that, because she made a comment the other night about this weirdly placed Region of Waterloo sign. I didn't see it, but I bet this is what she saw.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Canard - 12-20-2016

That looks great!

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Coke6pk - 12-21-2016

(12-20-2016, 02:55 PM)Canard Wrote: That looks great!

Agreed!  Hopefully these iON boxes will get a similar [maybe even unique] treatment!

Coke

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Brad Van Horne - 01-09-2017

I am a new member and hope to find answers to a number of questions. We live just off Victoria and Lackner so will be affected by the construction. Very curious as to what is going to happen, when and exactly what is going to be built. Unless I have missed things in my reading, there are lot of questions unanswered or not published by the Ministry. So here they are:

Construction Phases:
... Work underway - connection of Wellington to Bingemans Centre Drive - when to be opened?
... Extension of Bruce through to the rebuilt interchange at Wellington - is there a published timeline for completion?
... Is the closing and rebuild of Victoria Street bridge over #85 going to happen and if so when?
... What is the contract situation and is there a published timeline for the new 18 km roadway and interchanges between #85 & Wellington in the west to the north end of the Hanlon in Guelph?

General:
... Is access to the new highway to be 100% interchange controlled or will there be lights / stops?
... If 100% interchange controlled, are the interchanges proposed in the image at the top of the thread accurate and approved?
... What will the speed limit be?

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Markster - 01-09-2017

(01-09-2017, 03:39 AM)Brad Van Horne Wrote: Construction Phases:
... Work underway - connection of Wellington to Bingemans Centre Drive - when to be opened?

The Wellington/Shirley straightening is underway, and will be complete within 2017.

Quote:... Extension of Bruce through to the rebuilt interchange at Wellington - is there a published timeline for completion?

The extension of Bruce will be some time, as they have to tunnel under the tracks.  I suspect the earliest would be 2018.  They've already begun clearing the approaches.  I suppose it's possible it may complete in 2017 too.  

Quote:... Is the closing and rebuild of Victoria Street bridge over #85 going to happen and if so when?

The rebuild of Victoria St bridge will happen, but there's no timetable.  We have our fingers crossed that it's after the Bruce St extension is complete.  This article (from 2015) claims 2017.

Quote:... What is the contract situation and is there a published timeline for the new 18 km roadway and interchanges between #85 & Wellington in the west to the north end of the Hanlon in Guelph?

The contract is tendered and underway.  I can't seem to find anything that actually points to when the road will open though.  This article says it will take "5 construction seasons" to finish.  That would give an estimate of 2019/2020.
The interchange with 85 is going to be the critical path. They've already begun earthworks. There are a lot of bridges and flyovers to build. Don't expect to see any of the road opening in stages.

Quote:General:
... Is access to the new highway to be 100% interchange controlled or will there be lights / stops?

100% Interchanges

Quote:... If 100% interchange controlled, are the interchanges proposed in the image at the top of the thread accurate and approved?

The image is final.

Quote:... What will the speed limit be?

I don't think there's been any statement, but I would imagine 100km/h.  The MTO doesn't build freeways with anything less than a 130km/h design speed these days.