Waterloo Region Connected
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph (/showthread.php?tid=225)

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Canard - 03-11-2017

If you're on Victoria, heading Eastbound... how do you get on 85 Southbound? It looks like the ramp off of Edna is gone?!

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - KevinL - 03-11-2017

Right on Bruce, left on Wellington, right at the Wellington ramp.

And '85 southbound' doesn't exist here, for the record (it's where 85 ends). Technically you're getting on 7 westbound.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - jamincan - 03-11-2017

If the Bruce St. Extension is able to meet Victoria at an intersection, why not the Edna extension?

Edna isn't being extended like Bruce is - its ramps are being reworked. Thus it is a level below Victoria at the parkway interface.

It looked like the whatever-bound Edna ramp is being removed, which is why I was asking. I said Eastbound Victoria - turning right on Bruce doesn't go to Wellington... I'm so confused!

If I'm at Lancaster/Victoria, how do I get on the highway, toward Sportsworld?

(03-11-2017, 01:16 PM)Canard Wrote: It looked like the whatever-bound Edna ramp is being removed, which is why I was asking. I said Eastbound Victoria - turning right on Bruce doesn't go to Wellington... I'm so confused!

If I'm at Lancaster/Victoria, how do I get on the highway, toward Sportsworld?

Whoops, read eastbound as westbound there.

Take Lancaster to Wellington, and turn left at its onramp. If you've passed Lancaster, you have to cross over the parkway, turn left at Bruce, left at Wellington and re-cross, right at the onramp.

Oh that's horrible. I loved this project until today!

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Masala - 03-12-2017

Update on the Guelph end:

Sittler Demolition finished removing the former garden center at the intersection of Woodlawn and the Hanlon.

Kieswetter Demolition has been removing outbuildings, but not the old stone house "Elderslie" on Elmira Road.

I don't see any other signs of progress. I doubt primary construction will start this year. Hopefully in 2018.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - KevinT - 03-12-2017

(03-11-2017, 07:46 AM)Canard Wrote: If you're on Victoria, heading Eastbound... how do you get on 85 Southbound?  It looks like the ramp off of Edna is gone?!

Ish.  If you look at the frederick-expresswayclean.pdf linked in this post by JCnb, the Edna-Wellington connector looks to be two way.  So I'd say take the ramp from Edna like you always did, but now it will take you north to the intersection at Wellington.  Just go through the lights there and bingo, you're on the 85 Southbound ramp.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Canard - 03-12-2017

Argh, I guess... but it just seems like a huge mistake to miss such an important connection. Victoria is a massive road, and so is the Conestoga Parkway.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - KevinT - 03-12-2017

(03-12-2017, 08:37 AM)Canard Wrote: Argh, I guess... but it just seems like a huge mistake to miss such an important connection.  Victoria is a massive road, and so is the Conestoga Parkway.

Without dropping the Frederick bridge and expropriating 460 Frederick, I don't think there's much they could do.  Or you could argue for complete elimination of the collectors to make more room for ramps and mergers (having a 3+3 lane main highway), but then the Frederick and Wellington bridges would have had to come down in addition to Victoria.  Imagine the budget/construction outcry over that one!

The collector/express thing exists solely because of the bridge design they built at Frederick, Victoria and Wellington (with intermediate columns)!  I don't really follow the rest of your post at all (why would they have to drop a bridge or demolish anything? The ramp is already there!), but I could totally imagine that the radius of the current ramp probably doesn't meet MTO guidelines today.  So it might be like the railway upgrades here regarding LRT - "If you touch it, you have to fix it." and they probably couldn't make it work with a bigger radius, so just deleted it.

After looking at it some more, if they aren't doing any work on the Frederick Bridge at all (I don't know - are they?), they have a "window" they have to fit all the new lanes through so that's probably why... they used up the width for the Edna Southbound (Westbound? whatever) on-ramp to get another lane in there for through traffic.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - taylortbb - 03-12-2017

I think part of the concept is that Victoria is only currently such a massive road because of everyone heading out along Highway 7. With the new highway 7 the part east of 85 will see basically no traffic, and the part west the traffic will mostly shift to Wellington.

I'm not sure things will actually pan out that way, but I think that's the theory on why Victoria wasn't a priority for connection.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - The85 - 03-12-2017

(03-12-2017, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: The collector/express thing exists solely because of the bridge design they built at Frederick, Victoria and Wellington (with intermediate columns)!  

The collector/express system was actually built due to the very close proximity of the Wellington and Frederick/Victoria exits. At the time, the MTO was concerned about weaving between traffic entering and exiting the expressway, so they separated that potential conflict into lower-volume collector lanes. The bridges were then built accordingly, with piers placed in the physical division between the collector and express lanes.

(03-12-2017, 08:54 AM)Canard Wrote: After looking at it some more, if they aren't doing any work on the Frederick Bridge at all (I don't know - are they?), they have a "window" they have to fit all the new lanes through so that's probably why... they used up the width for the Edna Southbound (Westbound? whatever) on-ramp to get another lane in there for through traffic.

The Frederick bridge will also be replaced after the Victoria bridge to accommodate the new ramps. The Frederick Bridge is the only remaining bridge on the expressway to not receive a full rehabilitation in the past 10 years, all because it will eventually be replaced. 

Here is a previous post I did on this:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=225&pid=18228#pid18228