Waterloo Region Connected
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph (/showthread.php?tid=225)

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - ijmorlan - 07-22-2021

I just want to see the link roads under the railway built. Then we can close the Lancaster crossing to motor vehicles and eliminate the congestion at that intersection. As to the highway itself, I say never. Re-work the roads on the north side of the tracks (Shirley/Bingeman’s Centre/Shirley/Victoria) to form a single continuous highway and widen the rest of the route to Guelph to 4 lanes with a centre barrier. Use the superhighway money for public transit.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - jeffster - 07-22-2021

(07-21-2021, 08:21 PM)SammyOES Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 05:32 PM)jeffster Wrote: Yet it seems that it's now officially approved...again...

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-news/province-moving-forward-with-new-highway-7-3974375

Hopefully shovels in before next election -- but it really does smell like an election promise, much like the Liberals before, and the PC's before that, and the NDP before that, and the Liberals before that, and the PC's before that.

Just seems like we've been down this road (pardon the pun) several times....

This is the same old shit. Pick one small part of the project that takes 2 years and fund it while doing nothing else.  It doesn’t move the needle at all on completion because if anyone was serious this would be done in parallel with at least 3 other parts (like the bridges over the Grand River!).

I admit I was fooled last election because I thought no party would be stupid enough to not keep working on the project after it had gotten to the point of expropriations and construction started.  But whoops I was wrong.

The stupidity of Ford is on display again though because he could have done this token work 3 years ago and then picked the next token project now and been able to claim it was continuous.

As long as any government feels they can get some MPP’s from the 2 regions, they’ll continue to do it. It’s not just Ford, but all 9 previous premiers, going back to John Robarts (PC), then Bill Davis (PC), then Frank Miller (PC), then David Peterson (Lib), then Bob Rae (NDP), then Mike Harris (PC), then Ernie Eves (PC), then Dalton McGuinty (Lib) <- he swore on his mother it would be done, then Kathleen Wynne (Lib) and now Doug Ford (PC).

For whatever reason, this project gets stalled constantly. And I doubt it will be the last time. We’ll have highway 7 expanded to Stratford before Guelph. That I do believe.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - kps - 07-22-2021

(07-21-2021, 07:13 PM)jeffster Wrote: Stage 3 Ion (2030's) will be from Victoria and IRA Needles in Kitchener to Guelph, ending a UoG. Stations are at Victoria and IRA Needles (or potentially the Boardwalk), Victoria and Fischer-Hallman, Victoria and Westmount, Victoria and King, Victoria and Lancaster, River Road, Bingemans, Breslau, then in Guelph; Woodlawn and Imperial, Woodlawn at Hanlon, Hanlon and Willow, Hanlon and Wellington, Stone Road Mall (Edinburgh), then UoG (Gordon).

Or just use the existing line, pick up Ottawa's surplus DMUs, and open next month.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Bytor - 07-22-2021

(07-21-2021, 07:13 PM)jeffster Wrote: You didn't hear this from me:

Stage 3 Ion (2030's) will be from Victoria and IRA Needles in Kitchener to Guelph, ending a UoG. Stations are at Victoria and IRA Needles (or potentially the Boardwalk), Victoria and Fischer-Hallman, Victoria and Westmount, Victoria and King, Victoria and Lancaster, River Road, Bingemans, Breslau, then in Guelph; Woodlawn and Imperial, Woodlawn at Hanlon, Hanlon and Willow, Hanlon and Wellington, Stone Road Mall (Edinburgh), then UoG (Gordon).

Highway 7 can't be improved further without disrupting this stage 3.

It's part of the regional transit improvement for the tri-cities and Guelph.

That is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - jeffster - 07-22-2021

(07-22-2021, 02:12 PM)kps Wrote:
(07-21-2021, 07:13 PM)jeffster Wrote: Stage 3 Ion (2030's) will be from Victoria and IRA Needles in Kitchener to Guelph, ending a UoG. Stations are at Victoria and IRA Needles (or potentially the Boardwalk), Victoria and Fischer-Hallman, Victoria and Westmount, Victoria and King, Victoria and Lancaster, River Road, Bingemans, Breslau, then in Guelph; Woodlawn and Imperial, Woodlawn at Hanlon, Hanlon and Willow, Hanlon and Wellington, Stone Road Mall (Edinburgh), then UoG (Gordon).

Or just use the existing line, pick up Ottawa's surplus DMUs, and open next month.

They really should. No reason why this can't or shouldn't be done.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - ijmorlan - 07-22-2021

(07-22-2021, 04:30 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 02:12 PM)kps Wrote: Or just use the existing line, pick up Ottawa's surplus DMUs, and open next month.

They really should. No reason why this can't or shouldn't be done.

Existing freight and GO traffic?

But yeah, we should get better transit on this route a lot sooner than we’re actually going to get it.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - danbrotherston - 07-22-2021

(07-22-2021, 10:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 04:30 PM)jeffster Wrote: They really should. No reason why this can't or shouldn't be done.

Existing freight and GO traffic?

But yeah, we should get better transit on this route a lot sooner than we’re actually going to get it.

Metrolinx owns the line between KW and Guelph. Working around existing GO service is the only real limitation.

But as much as I like trains, buses work just fine, and there are zero limitations on running buses literally tomorrow...

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - ijmorlan - 07-23-2021

(07-22-2021, 10:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 10:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Existing freight and GO traffic?

Metrolinx owns the line between KW and Guelph. Working around existing GO service is the only real limitation.

But as much as I like trains, buses work just fine, and there are zero limitations on running buses literally tomorrow...

Just because Metrolinx owns the line doesn’t mean the freight can be ignored. We don’t want all of that to end up on trucks…

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - danbrotherston - 07-23-2021

(07-23-2021, 10:23 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 10:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Metrolinx owns the line between KW and Guelph. Working around existing GO service is the only real limitation.

Just because Metrolinx owns the line doesn’t mean the freight can be ignored. We don’t want all of that to end up on trucks…

Sure...but honestly rail freight for short haul is already barely relevant. We should fix that too, but we aren't going to fix it by holding up passenger rail service. And besides, metrolinx isn't going to be running 24/7 service any time soon, so freight can always shift time.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Chris - 11-12-2021

https://outline.com/4cU3fX

‘Shovels in the ground as soon as possible’ on new Highway 7 project, province says

Oh man, this line is great. Speaks to your commitment for a project you cancelled?
“Our government has made significant progress on Highway 7, which speaks to our commitment to moving this project forward,” she said. “We do not want to delay its completion and have been implementing a phased approach.”

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - westwardloo - 11-12-2021

(11-12-2021, 10:18 AM)Chris Wrote: https://outline.com/4cU3fX

‘Shovels in the ground as soon as possible’ on new Highway 7 project, province says

Oh man, this line is great. Speaks to your commitment for a project you cancelled?
“Our government has made significant progress on Highway 7, which speaks to our commitment to moving this project forward,” she said. “We do not want to delay its completion and have been implementing a phased approach.”

The government have announced full funding for Bradford bypass (a hwy to cut Fords commute time to his cottage) and HWY 413. Yet a hwy the government has already spent 100 million on and owns all the land required has received little to no announcements since the conservative as good as cancelled it in 2018. No doubt we will get a big announcement about constructing HWY 7 in march or April. Just in time for the election. But that will depend on who is in power and who the region and Guelph decides to elect as our MPP.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - jamincan - 11-12-2021

Hwy 7 is every government's favourite election tool. They all announce they will build it a year out from an election and then promptly quietly cancel it afterward. You can't campaign on building a highway that you've completed, afterall. It's been going on long enough that it deserves a Heritage Minute spot.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - jeffster - 11-12-2021

(11-12-2021, 10:18 AM)Chris Wrote: https://outline.com/4cU3fX

"Frederick Street" underpass -- I thought it's considered an overpass since it's over the highway?

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - ijmorlan - 11-12-2021

(11-12-2021, 03:52 PM)jamincan Wrote: Hwy 7 is every government's favourite election tool. They all announce they will build it a year out from an election and then promptly quietly cancel it afterward. You can't campaign on building a highway that you've completed, afterall. It's been going on long enough that it deserves a Heritage Minute spot.

Heritage Minute Tongue

This one really is taking it a bit far. I mean it’s one thing to straighten another 30km of some random 2-lane rural highway every election season. But it sounds like they’re trying to pretend they’re now beginning the project, as if people in KW don’t remember all the construction a few years ago to replace the Victoria St. bridge, re-arrange the Wellington St. ramps, and other related changes. This project has already been started but then put on pause.

Of course I think the overall project is largely unneeded, but that doesn’t mean I can’t recognize self-serving nonsense when I see it.

RE: Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph - Spokes - 11-14-2021

Is there an election coming up or something??