Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Canard - 05-30-2018

John indicated that there’s another layer yet to go down.

Regarding the IHT at Victoria; will there be a refuge?

RE: Trails - timc - 05-30-2018

(05-30-2018, 07:49 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: Central promenade:
Does anyone know why a gap was left in the curbing between PI and Clay and Glass (top photo, middle left)

Before construction, there was a walkway connecting to the parking lot. Is that it?

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-03-2018

I saw this tender in the council meeting agenda for this week. Can someone explain where it runs to and from?

"Project No. 66112, Multi-use trail construction on Mill Street between Ottawa Street and Grenville Avenue, Kitchener on behalf of Grand River Transit."

RE: Trails - KevinL - 06-04-2018

Ooh, nice! It will run from the far west end of Grenville, along the Ion fence to the Mill/Ottawa intersection. Will give residents on Grenville and Borden (and eventually the Schneiders lands) walking access to Mill Ion.

RE: Trails - panamaniac - 06-04-2018

(06-04-2018, 09:21 AM)KevinL Wrote: Ooh, nice! It will run from the far west end of Grenville, along the Ion fence to the Mill/Ottawa intersection. Will give residents on Grenville and Borden (and eventually the Schneiders lands) walking access to Mill Ion.

That will restore the informal path /service road corridor that ran from Grenville to Mill before the Ion construction.  As you say, it will ensure a good link to the Schneiders lands.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 06-04-2018

I had heard about this trail, I'm surprised they're jumping on it so quickly. Frankly, I'd rather they get sidewalks in on Ottawa. I've now twice tried to walk there past the LRT station and been surprised to be forced onto the road.

Work on Ottawa is actually already under way - initial surveying and other prep work started last week.

(06-04-2018, 09:34 AM)KevinL Wrote: Work on Ottawa is actually already under way - initial surveying and other prep work started last week.

Any plans for a sidewalk on the "north" side of Mill?

That, I don't know.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 06-04-2018

(06-04-2018, 09:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 09:34 AM)KevinL Wrote: Work on Ottawa is actually already under way - initial surveying and other prep work started last week.

Any plans for a sidewalk on the "north" side of Mill?

Work on Ottawa?  Which work?  Are they actually installing a sidewalk?  That's great news, I'm not sure how I missed that.

(06-04-2018, 11:00 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 09:46 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Any plans for a sidewalk on the "north" side of Mill?

Work on Ottawa?  Which work?  Are they actually installing a sidewalk?  That's great news, I'm not sure how I missed that.

I assume that's part of the planned Ottawa St rebuild between Pattandon and the expressway.

East/south side of Ottawa, from the tracks to Hoffman. This morning it looks like they were working on utility re-trenching (with those narrow flexible yellow pipes).

I took some photos from the bus, I'll post them this afternoon when I'm on a PC.

RE: Trails - Canard - 06-04-2018

(06-04-2018, 09:21 AM)KevinL Wrote: Ooh, nice! It will run from the far west end of Grenville, along the Ion fence to the Mill/Ottawa intersection. Will give residents on Grenville and Borden (and eventually the Schneiders lands) walking access to Mill Ion.

And better yet: Yet another excellent ion LRV viewing area!

Not the best shots, but you get the gist.

[Image: 3gd9.jpg]

[Image: 3gda.jpg]

Also: the area originally in question, where the path will be made (just beyond the farthest fence). That greenery will definitely need some cutting back.
[Image: 3gdb.jpg]

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 06-04-2018

Thanks all for the clarification. That is what I had suspected, but was thrown off by the wording of "on Mill"; it doesn't really feel like it is on Mill there.

This is another is good example of failure to plan and see all modes a part of a complete system.

This trail project is apparently on behalf of GRT, but look where the GRT bus stop pad and shelter was placed, right where the natural flow of the trail should follow (street view).