Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-24-2018

(09-24-2018, 01:31 PM)clasher Wrote: Using the golf course's path along the creek seems to be the easiest solution, all that is needed is a curb cut and a bit of paving on Sydney street near the little garage beside the creek and some signage. The existing paths on the golf course seem to only close to a couple holes so they probably aren't very busy except maybe on the weekends? The IHT south of Stirling isn't nearly as busy as parts north of there so maybe waiting for the new Courtland trails to come on line and see what kind of usage develops isn't a terrible idea... I know I'm not the only person that goes west at the end of the IHT and around to Eckhert St or the pedestrian bridge at the end of Carlin ave.

The city owned golf course would of course be the best option (there are no land issues, the city already owns all the property and 98% or so of the trail is done already), and when we have a council who's willing to force that corporate entity to play ball with the trails department, then we can make that happen.

Until that time, it's not an option, they outright refuse to consider the idea.

Leaving a trail disconnected then waiting to see if traffic volumes justify connecting it is the usual kind of nonsense we get from traffic engineers.

RE: Trails - MacBerry - 09-26-2018

(09-24-2018, 02:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: In that cost range, the construction is much more reasonable. Is that to get a MUT built, in lieu of a sidewalk?

The construction on Sydney could involve building a MUT on the boulevard--new pavement.

The construction on Bedford would involve paint, and flex posts only, reusing existing pavement only.

Almost everyone writing here and in the newspaper are ignoring an important part regarding the accessibility of our livable environment for all our citizens, required in Ontario law. 

If the City builds a road separated MUT on the Bedford Road portion then everyone in the city wins except the 14 homeowners who believe their private street should not have cyclists, pedestrians and persons with mobility on "their street".

Their moto is go away and leave us alone. Ask them if they want a legally required sidewalk allowing accessibility, to be built, and, everyone knows what their answer will be.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 09-27-2018

(09-26-2018, 10:10 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 02:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The construction on Sydney could involve building a MUT on the boulevard--new pavement.

The construction on Bedford would involve paint, and flex posts only, reusing existing pavement only.

Almost everyone writing here and in the newspaper are ignoring an important part regarding the accessibility of our livable environment for all our citizens, required in Ontario law. 

If the City builds a road separated MUT on the Bedford Road portion then everyone in the city wins except the 14 homeowners who believe their private street should not have cyclists, pedestrians and persons with mobility on "their street".

Their moto is go away and leave us alone. Ask them if they want a legally required sidewalk allowing accessibility, to be built, and, everyone knows what their answer will be.

There was another discussion about sidewalk construction, for another street in urban Kitchener, at the last council meeting. Homeowners vehemently opposed to putting in sidewalks (when the road surfaces is rebuilt).

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 09-27-2018

The construction at the north end of Patricia has largely wrapped up so I decided to try to use it and the short connecting trail to connect to the IHT today.

I discovered there is no legal way for cyclists to make that connection.

The sidewalk on the east side doesn't connect to the side trail, and the road has a curb that even if you mount would thrust you down a steep grass hill.

The only way to get from northbound on Patricia to the IHT is to:
1) Make a left in to someone's driveway.
2) Ride illegally on the sidewalk on the west side.
3) Hope that no one else is coming up the 1.5m connecting trail.

RE: Trails - clasher - 09-27-2018

The island on Queen street where the IHT was rebuilt today, it's currently taped off as the concrete hardens. It looks like it aligns with the trail now and looks longer than the one that was there before. I also saw a some work going on across from the old Lai Lai's place so I assume they were re-doing the curbs at Strange st. but didn't get a chance to go up and take a look.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 09-28-2018

The trail from Grenville to Ottawa, beside the Ion track, is well underway. The fence has been rebuilt further out and the ground is being re-graded.

RE: Trails - mpd618 - 09-28-2018

(09-27-2018, 10:53 PM)clasher Wrote: I also saw a some work going on across from the old Lai Lai's place so I assume they were re-doing the curbs at Strange st. but didn't get a chance to go up and take a look.

Yes, they poured new sidewalk and curbs there.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-28-2018

(09-28-2018, 02:34 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 10:53 PM)clasher Wrote: I also saw a some work going on across from the old Lai Lai's place so I assume they were re-doing the curbs at Strange st. but didn't get a chance to go up and take a look.

Yes, they poured new sidewalk and curbs there.

Sadly they made no modification to the curbs coming up past former Lai Lais.

RE: Trails - clasher - 09-28-2018

(09-28-2018, 02:51 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 02:34 PM)mpd618 Wrote: Yes, they poured new sidewalk and curbs there.

Sadly they made no modification to the curbs coming up past former Lai Lais.

What should be modified?

RE: Trails - plam - 09-28-2018

(09-28-2018, 05:20 PM)clasher Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 02:51 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Sadly they made no modification to the curbs coming up past former Lai Lais.

What should be modified?

Which curbs are we talking about here? We're talking about the new Golden Dynasty? I got a flat getting onto IHT from Victoria the other day (going too fast and missed the curb cut).

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-28-2018

(09-28-2018, 06:03 PM)plam Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 05:20 PM)clasher Wrote: What should be modified?

Which curbs are we talking about here? We're talking about the new Golden Dynasty? I got a flat getting onto IHT from Victoria the other day (going too fast and missed the curb cut).

Yes, Golden Dynasty now.

And yes, the curb cut that is right at the apex of the (unnecessary) curve.

RE: Trails - creative - 09-29-2018

I would be interested to see your design ideas that would accomodate both the needs of trail users as well as the needs of the restaurant. The curb cut into the trail at the bend allows for delivery vehicles to access the back entrance of the restaurant. The Bend in the trail also allows for access to the parking lot off of Patricia with safe separation from the trail. I’m sure that there were discussions between the city and restaurant ahead of time that we are not aware of that resulted in the current design.

RE: Trails - darts - 09-29-2018

(09-29-2018, 10:33 AM)creative Wrote: I would be interested to see your design ideas that would accomodate both the needs of trail users as well as the needs of the restaurant. The curb cut into the trail at the bend allows for delivery vehicles to access the back entrance of the restaurant. The Bend in the trail also allows for access to the parking lot off of Patricia with safe separation from the trail. I’m sure that there were discussions between the city and restaurant ahead of time that we are not aware of that resulted in the current design.

Thanks for that great perspective that might have been lost

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 09-29-2018

(09-29-2018, 10:33 AM)creative Wrote: I would be interested to see your design ideas that would accomodate both the needs of trail users as well as the needs of the restaurant. The curb cut into the trail at the bend allows for delivery vehicles to access the back entrance of the restaurant. The Bend in the trail also allows for access to the parking lot off of Patricia with safe separation from the trail. I’m sure that there were discussions between the city and restaurant ahead of time that we are not aware of that resulted in the current design.

That curb cut might be for delivery drivers to provide access to the trail, it is not for vehicle, it's not wide enough, although, it does appear to be being used by cars.

As for accommodation, there's very little challenge to that, the trail could be straightened pretty easily, and the curb cut could be moved off the apex of the corner, and there is also room to move the curb cut out of the trail.  

The curb cut wasn't even marked on the original plan. But yeah, I'm guessing they picked the design to save the two trees marked on the map.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 10-06-2018

P2018-16 Supply of Three (3) Prefabricated Pedestrian Bridges for Homer Watson Boulevard Improvements
"The work of this contract includes the supply, delivery, manufacture, and installation of three (3) pedestrian bridges as part of a larger Homer Watson Boulevard Improvements and Multi-Use Trail project scheduled for 2019 construction in the Transportation Capital Program. The pedestrian bridges will be delivered and installed at two (2) Schneider Creek crossings, as well as a Balzer Creek crossing, within the project limits. It is anticipated that the bridges will be manufactured starting in February 2019 with delivery and installation to the sites beginning in March 2019 and ending in September 2019."