Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - jamincan - 12-12-2018

The Open Street Maps cycling map is pretty good, but it does miss some trails, mostly single-track, more MTB-style trails.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 12-12-2018

The best map for bike infra in the region right now is probably Google Maps, you can turn on the bicycle overlay (you'll find it next to the traffic and transit overlays).

It's generally quite accurate (which the region map is not), while including the whole region (which the city maps do not), with good readability--trails are clearly marked, bike lanes are marked, and sharrows are only vaguely suggested.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 12-12-2018

TriTag (Mike Boos) has this one as well. Not sure how up-to-date it is.

RE: Trails - jamincan - 12-13-2018

Is Mike on here? That's an awesome map, but there are some off-street bike routes that probably shouldn't be included (more single-track MTB trail then bike route).

RE: Trails - Canard - 12-14-2018

Sigh.

RE: Trails - Spokes - 12-14-2018

Huh. But why??

I asked. No reply; I don’t expect one.

“Thanks for reaching out” always makes me snicker.

RE: Trails - clasher - 12-14-2018

Lame...
"why's it closed?"
"it'll reopen next year"
"not what I asked but okay"

This is literally basically every twitter correspondence with the project team for the past 4 years, haha.

RE: Trails - ijmorlan - 12-14-2018

(12-14-2018, 05:54 PM)Canard Wrote: This is literally basically every twitter correspondence with the project team for the past 4 years, haha.

Not impressed (with them). Thanks for trying though.

(12-14-2018, 05:54 PM)Canard Wrote: This is literally basically every twitter correspondence with the project team for the past 4 years, haha.

Cheers to keeping at it though!

In other trails news, I just noticed there are Bollards at the end of David Street where it meets the IHT... finally! Tall, skinny blue ones. I wonder how they will stand up to the snow pile that ends of there most years.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 12-14-2018

(12-14-2018, 09:09 PM)clasher Wrote:

Cheers to keeping at it though!

In other trails news, I just noticed there are Bollards at the end of David Street where it meets the IHT... finally! Tall, skinny blue ones. I wonder how they will stand up to the snow pile that ends of there most years.

That question crossed my mind as well. They also have an opening large enough for city vehicles which is also large enough for cars.  Probably not a problem on backwater David St but I've already encountered cars on the trail at Victoria St .

I saw that gap too... I had a run-in with a driver on that section of trail by David Street. I dunno what took so long to get bollards there, hopefully the rest of the trail gets them too, as much as I'd rather not have them these ones are an improvement on the old gates.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 12-15-2018

(12-14-2018, 11:56 PM)clasher Wrote: I saw that gap too... I had a run-in with a driver on that section of trail by David Street. I dunno what took so long to get bollards there, hopefully the rest of the trail gets them too, as much as I'd rather not have them these ones are an improvement on the old gates.

A car really came from David St.?  I wouldn't have thought it would be common occurrence, I rarely see cars ON that section of David St.

It is truly terrifying some drivers inability to tell where they are supposed to drive. During the Christkrindl market two cars drove around the very prominent road closed barricade, onto the sidewalk and through the market.

One clearly knew he was in the wrong and didn't care as he sped off onto College St.

The other was totally confused and shocked to discover this was a non-go area for cars, of course this driver also thought he was on the UW campus. 

It is really terrifying as a pedestrian and cyclist to see that.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 12-15-2018

The sidewalks on Ottawa South from the parkway to Strasburg were converted to MUTs last year. They've just now put these markings on them where they cross the plaza entrances.

[Image: Zz9e0sW.jpg]

[Image: 5pj6hbO.jpg]