Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 08-26-2016

(08-23-2016, 06:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The gates are an ever present issue on the trail.  A cyclist was killed in Victoria park after hitting a gate at night.

I assume this was a cyclist riding in the middle of the night, at high speed, with no lights?

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 08-26-2016

(08-26-2016, 02:04 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 06:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The gates are an ever present issue on the trail.  A cyclist was killed in Victoria park after hitting a gate at night.

I assume this was a cyclist riding in the middle of the night, at high speed, with no lights?

I actually don't know. But what would the point be?  I guess we aren't above victim blaming.  Trail should have been designed safely in the first place.

(08-26-2016, 03:07 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 02:04 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I assume this was a cyclist riding in the middle of the night, at high speed, with no lights?

I actually don't know. But what would the point be?  I guess we aren't above victim blaming.  Trail should have been designed safely in the first place.

OK, I found the reference (http://www.metronews.ca/news/kitchener/2013/05/21/kitchener-urged-to-remove-gates-from-iron-horse-trail.html):
Quote:In August 2008, Paul Brenner, a 62-year-old maintenance worker, was riding to work along the Iron Horse Trail before sunrise. Brenner was not familiar with the trail and rode into the gates behind Victoria Park. He was thrown to the pavement and died of head injuries.

But "victim blaming?"  Is everyone that experiences a single-vehicle accident a victim, regardless of circumstances?  If a car driver drives into a ditch, does that mean that we should automatically widen the road?

As the photo in the article shows, there is a reflective sign that would be visible to a rider using a headlight.
[Image: iron-horse-trail.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg]

RE: Trails - Markster - 08-26-2016

I wouldn't be particularly quick to blame the driver either, if the road was unlit, and the ditch was designed in a way that meant accidentally leaving the road and any speed caused your car to immediately roll over.

My point is that headlights would allow a car driver to see the lane markings, or a cyclist to see the gate markings and the warning signs. It's possible the cyclist in question did have a headlight -- but then why did he not see the reflective markings and the warning sign?

These gates are there actually for safety, to prevent bicycle wheels from getting caught in the railroad tracks.

RE: Trails - Canard - 08-26-2016

I'm with Tom on this one. I'm not sure who used the term "victim blaming" but that's ridiculous.

(08-26-2016, 05:21 PM)Canard Wrote: I'm with Tom on this one. I'm not sure who used the term "victim blaming" but that's ridiculous.

I did.  And I would consider the person who died because the trail is designed unsafe the victim.  Yes maybe with a light (not required under the hta) he might have seen it in time. But if the trail had been designed safely in the first place he definitely wouldn't have hit the barrier. 

Even unlit roads are often lit at major intersections.  Nobody would accept that trail design for cars.

(08-26-2016, 04:14 PM)tomh009 Wrote: My point is that headlights would allow a car driver to see the lane markings, or a cyclist to see the gate markings and the warning signs.  It's possible the cyclist in question did have a headlight -- but then why did he not see the reflective markings and the warning sign?

These gates are there actually for safety, to prevent bicycle wheels from getting caught in the railroad tracks.

Yes, because the trail was designed poorly, it has now, at great additional expense been fixed properly in a way which isn't likely to cause fatal accidents.  

As for why he didn't see, I don't know, nobody knows, but reflective tape, like reflective lane markings don't last forever.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 08-26-2016

It's extremely unfortunate that this individual had to lose his life before safety at this crossing was given enough attention and respect to be made truly safe. But if he is to have a legacy, it's to make sure we design all such infrastructure to this standard in future.

RE: Trails - clasher - 08-26-2016

I used to ride through those gates at night and most bike lights don't put out enough lux to really make retroreflective stickers shine bright and asking riders to dismount was even more ridiculous.

The city should be installing lights along the trail, the entire park is bathed in light but the trail is pitch black.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 08-26-2016

At least the full Spur Trail got lit. Perhaps an Iron Horse retrofit in future?

RE: Trails - GtwoK - 08-27-2016

It's on the plan from what I remember.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 08-27-2016

On the plan is vague. Staff costed a lighting of the trail but did not recommend funding it before the +10 year capital plan.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 08-27-2016

Kitchener City Council to decide to put a proposal in to the Ontario 150 program for IHT improvements OR public space improvements:
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Download.ashx?Id=b48b60b9-fe93-42b6-9bf0-288b3e6f2c9e

Also, recommendation for trail improvements along Courtland (Bedford to Hayward) to be completed by October 2017:
http://www.kitchener.ca/en/Calendar/Download.ashx?Id=5e02400a-f7af-41cf-a973-54fce6faea7f

RE: Trails - jamincan - 08-29-2016

Looking on Google Maps, it would be nice if they could extend the Forwell Trail west. There is one spot in particular where there might be difficulty squeezing past the parking lot of a business park off Dutton, but once past there, it could possibly go around the OMSF, connect to the Northfield LRT station, and then continue north along the rail ROW (in a similar manner to the Spur Line Trail) and provide a multi-use trail connection from Uptown to the St. Jacob's Market. A connection to Dutton would provide a much better connection to the Northfield LRT as well for the townhouses at Albert & Weber.