Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Markster - 11-29-2016

I dunno, can't you just get out an asphalt saw, like they use for countless roadworks? Just cut off the asphalt on the track side, and cut off the asphalt on the building side, leaving the 3m in the middle. The lighting will be installed adjacent to the trail (which is the case for the rest of the trail), so there's no need to bury anything directly underneath it.

RE: Trails - Canard - 11-29-2016

Absolutely agreed with Viewfromthe42 - you nailed it.

I'm glad to hear this is happening; I dread riding through there as it is now, since it's so narrow with the difficult parking.

If I frequented the store, I'd also hate the setup, always worrying someone is going to fly right by me as I'm backing out. The visibility is very poor here, and if they have a new lot and won't have to lease, sounds like its win-win all around.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 11-29-2016

(11-29-2016, 12:35 PM)Markster Wrote: I dunno, can't you just get out an asphalt saw, like they use for countless roadworks?  Just cut off the asphalt on the track side, and cut off the asphalt on the building side, leaving the 3m in the middle.  The lighting will be installed adjacent to the trail (which is the case for the rest of the trail), so there's no need to bury anything directly underneath it.

Preferably more than 3 meters.  My assumption was this was what was being done, you know as opposed to leaving the whole width in place.  There are some drainage considerations I guess.

RE: Trails - MidTowner - 11-29-2016

(11-29-2016, 10:47 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder which abutting property? The properties facing Union would seem to offer potential for parking AND redevelopment.

The property in question, the convenience store right at the corner of Moore and Union, would be prime for redevelopment, but it probably couldn't accommodate it while providing its own parking and the amount of parking that Len's Mills needs.

(11-29-2016, 12:44 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Preferably more than 3 meters.  My assumption was this was what was being done, you know as opposed to leaving the whole width in place.  There are some drainage considerations I guess.

Apparently I'm wrong,

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/more-lighting-coming-to-spur-line-trail-next-summer-iron-horse-must-wait-1.3870866

They do plan to repave entirely, seems like a big waste of money. I wonder if that money would be enough to light the sections of the Iron Horse Trail that are being improved.

In other news, I'm disappointed about the reporting here, we do want the trail lit, but the other improvements are probably just as important, regardless however, the reason that lighting is being deferred is because we're unwilling to spend the political and financial capital to do it. Worse yet, the plan actually called for widening the trail to 3.6 meters, not 3 meters, and improvements to crossings which for all intents and purposes aren't even happening. As a result, we're getting extremely limited improvements. It's all extremely disappointing.

RE: Trails - mpd618 - 11-29-2016

(11-29-2016, 12:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: They do plan to repave entirely, seems like a big waste of money.  I wonder if that money would be enough to light the sections of the Iron Horse Trail that are being improved.

I didn't think paving was particularly expensive? And definitely a small paving job is nowhere near the cost to light several kilometres of trail.

(11-29-2016, 09:49 PM)mpd618 Wrote: I didn't think paving was particularly expensive? And definitely a small paving job is nowhere near the cost to light several kilometres of trail.

I don't think paving is cheap exactly, but maybe it's inexpensive compared with grading and subsurface, I don't really know.  But I would have expected it to be more expensive than some cutting.  And the article gives some prices, it would be pretty close to paying for lighting the IHT.

RE: Trails - mpd618 - 11-29-2016

(11-29-2016, 10:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And the article gives some prices, it would be pretty close to paying for lighting the IHT.

The article quotes $1.5m to light the Iron Horse Trail. Meanwhile it quotes $250K to install light posts and repave the Len's Mill section of the Spur Line Trail. That's not close even if you assume none of the latter cost is for the lighting.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 11-30-2016

(11-29-2016, 11:44 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(11-29-2016, 10:19 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And the article gives some prices, it would be pretty close to paying for lighting the IHT.

The article quotes $1.5m to light the Iron Horse Trail. Meanwhile it quotes $250K to install light posts and repave the Len's Mill section of the Spur Line Trail. That's not close even if you assume none of the latter cost is for the lighting.

What I meant to say, was it's close to paying for lights on the section that's being rebuilt right now.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 12-13-2016

Plans for a crossing at Weber and the Laurel trail.  Desperately needed, one of the few places on the trails that I feel quite unsafe while biking.

RE: Trails - Markster - 12-13-2016

They don't explicitly mention the bus stop at MacKay, I wonder if there are going to be any changes. I need to cross there to catch the 8 or 12, so it'll be real nice to have a crossing island.

In other trail news.
lololollol

RE: Trails - Canard - 12-13-2016

It's unreal how far out of whack our two cities are on this. I think that's literally exactly at the border of Kitchener and Waterloo; turning 180 degrees between the two photos.

RE: Trails - clasher - 12-13-2016

I rode through the spur line on Sunday and had to do a WTF when I hit that segment. I don't get why the CoK wouldn't just straight up pay Waterloo to finish clearing the trail.

RE: Trails - timc - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 12:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Plans for a crossing at Weber and the Laurel trail.  Desperately needed, one of the few places on the trails that I feel quite unsafe while biking.

I'm very excited to see this. Crossing Weber is often impossible without going down to Lincoln Road. Is it still being planned for 2017?

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 12-13-2016

(12-13-2016, 03:44 PM)timc Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 12:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Plans for a crossing at Weber and the Laurel trail.  Desperately needed, one of the few places on the trails that I feel quite unsafe while biking.

I'm very excited to see this. Crossing Weber is often impossible without going down to Lincoln Road. Is it still being planned for 2017?

That is what was suggested.

I do hope this means actual construction in 2017 (and like, not December).  "2017" has a habit of meaning, design 2017, find contractor later, approval much later, building TBD.