Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 10:02 AM)rangersfan Wrote: I don't know the area but a trail proposal is seeking resistance from nearby residents. I personally don't get the resistance to trails ( I live a house a away from the Dom Cardillo trail and absolutely love it) .

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/7175451-kitchener-residents-object-to-trail-behind-homes

I think the resistance to trails comes from a general resistance to any change of any kind ever.

I mean, you can get even more hyper specific, the group which loved the trail in Waterloo, but opposed paving it.

RE: Trails - tomh009 - 03-07-2017

Happily the council approved the trail by an overwhelming majority.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 10:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Happily the council approved the trail by an overwhelming majority.

Definitely!  I'm very happy that council saw reason.  Even in the face of an attempt to reverse it by "sacrificing" their road to cyclists.

I should actually watch the meeting before judging what was said, but even so, the reported Gazzola quote was...well ridiculous.

RE: Trails - timc - 03-07-2017

(03-07-2017, 10:20 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I mean, you can get even more hyper specific, the group which loved the trail in Waterloo, but opposed paving it.

I question the "but" in that sentence; many opposed paving it because they loved the trail.

RE: Trails - jwilliamson - 03-08-2017

A public open house for the Waterloo Park Central Promenade will be held on March 23 from 4-7 at the Clay and Glass Gallery.

RE: Trails - nms - 03-10-2017

In other trail news, there is a proposal to create a trail network that runs the full length of the Grand River by stitching existing trail networks (such as the Walter Bean Trail) with other trails. Anne Crowe, one of the proponents, suggested that this could be a building block in an Ontario equivalent of Quebec's Route VerteThe Record is on board.

I could also see this developing in the same manner as the TransCanada Trail or the Bruce Trail network: identify the general corridor and then slowly improve the route through the corridor to create the ideal trail.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 03-10-2017

This would obviously include the Cambridge-Paris Rail Trail and the Trans-Canada Trail through Cambridge. Having a single recreational corridor - once the Walter Bean is finished (ahem) - would be a great selling point.

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-10-2017

OMG yes. No more fragmented trails please!!

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-26-2017

Any ideas as to what's going on here?

All the trees adjacent the tracks along the Spur Line Trail, between Blucher and Ahrens, look like they've been torn apart.  It almost looks like wind or ice damage, but it's selectively only on the track side, which makes me think it's all coming down intentionally for track upgrades or something.

Unrelated, but a little further up toward Waterloo, just off of William, they're doing some track replacement:

Sidebar: I know I keep saying it, but I absolutely adore the Forwell trail.  Thank you to whoever pointed out a while back that I should check it out!  It's my favourite part of my rides.

RE: Trails - KevinL - 03-26-2017

(03-26-2017, 11:56 AM)Canard Wrote: Any ideas as to what's going on here?

No clue. Certainly doesn't look like professional pruning; looks like someone came in with an axe or other less-than-sharp implement to cut back the branches. Very strange.

RE: Trails - clasher - 03-26-2017

There's similar "work" done to some trees along the IHT near Victoria Park, I thought it was weird to see such isolated wind damage. Probably aliens, I reckon.

RE: Trails - razzie13 - 03-26-2017

I watched it happen along the IHT a year or two ago. Basically it's done by a machine that rides on the rails and shreds all the vegetation around the track.

RE: Trails - Canard - 03-26-2017

...that's awful. Sad

RE: Trails - kitborn - 03-27-2017

I've seen this before along the rail line crossing Mill Street. It seems like a very primitive way to cut overhanging trees and shrubs.

RE: Trails - Markster - 03-27-2017

Primitive, but cost and time effective.

Unfortunately not as cool as this: