Waterloo Region Connected
Trails - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Trails (/showthread.php?tid=378)

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 08-18-2017

Here is a map of the properties in the area of interest that would likely be involved so everyone can follow along:

The distance between the Airboss building and the rail right-of-way is just under 5.5m:

I wonder if some of the reluctance to embark on this trail link is the uncertainty of HSR. The rail right-of-way is 27-30m wide through that stretch which is just big enough for the track to be twinned, but there would not be room for a third set of tracks (say EB HSR, WB HSR, and all other); they would need to expand the right-of-way and a trail running parallel would no longer fit.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 08-18-2017

Detour posted for the trail work in Waterloo Park.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 08-18-2017

The report on the Iron Horse Trail connector is out:

http://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Council/Detail/2017-08-22-Planning-and-Works-Committee/Agenda%20to%20Print.pdf

Basically, a circuitous substandard off road route to Joseph St. Disappointing.

At least one of the recommendations was to keep pursuing the direct route:
"3. The Region and the City of Kitchener, as a long term planning goal, continue to pursue the Alternative 1 alignment in planning applications."

Laurel trail repaving progress:

RE: Trails - Elmira Guy - 08-22-2017

Multi-use trail coming to Cambridge on Conestoga Blvd

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/multi-use-trail-cambridge-conestoga-blvd-1.4256255

Construction of the 2km trail begins August 24

RE: Trails - Canard - 08-22-2017

Hopefully, it will properly link in to the existing short MUT on Conestoga that goes between Dunbar and Can-Amera.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 08-22-2017

I was half-listening to planning and works today.

Did they end up voting to defer the decision on the IHT to hub trail to their next meeting to allow staff to connect with property owners along the preferred route (#1 or #1a) as it seem the discussion was heading that way?

Quite a lengthy discussion when the video gets uploaded here:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/WebCouncilStreaming.asp?_mid_=24370

RE: Trails - highlander - 08-23-2017

(08-22-2017, 09:00 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I was half-listening to planning and works today.

Did they end up voting to defer the decision on the IHT to hub trail to their next meeting to allow staff to connect with property owners along the preferred route (#1 or #1a) as it seem the discussion was heading that way?

Quite a lengthy discussion when the video gets uploaded here:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/regionalGovernment/WebCouncilStreaming.asp?_mid_=24370

It was deferred and they asked staff to:
- contact CN about preferred route 1 via higher level contacts that the region has (many suggested this was futile within the timeframe required to use the federal funding - March 2018)
- provide more information on a Stewart St. routing (cost of expropriation land and issues around a new crossing of the GEXR line)

Also from P&W yesterday, a staff member responding to a question about why the MUT is located on the east side of Weber mentioned a potential trail connection from Dutton Dr. under the expressway, presumably connecting to Conestogo Rd. Has anyone seen any information about this before?

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 02:45 PM)highlander Wrote: Also from P&W yesterday, a staff member responding to a question about why the MUT is located on the east side of Weber mentioned a potential trail connection from Dutton Dr. under the expressway, presumably connecting to Conestogo Rd. Has anyone seen any information about this before?

I assume this is in reference to the wish of the City of Waterloo to extend the spur line trail/laurel trail all the way up the railway line to the St. Jacobs market.

This is a *very* long term plan, and not worth building for now, I think it's more of a distraction, even if it was being built, there's a good chance it wouldn't have any effect on the design of the bridge anyway.

(08-23-2017, 03:20 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I assume this is in reference to the wish of the City of Waterloo to extend the spur line trail/laurel trail all the way up the railway line to the St. Jacobs market.

This is a *very* long term plan, and not worth building for now, I think it's more of a distraction, even if it was being built, there's a good chance it wouldn't have any effect on the design of the bridge anyway.

I think its a different trail, which is why it caught my interest. Here's the quote, from 1:48:41 in the video: "There's also a potential future connection of a multi-use trail down Dutton Drive and underneath the expressway that's being talked about in concept".

I'm sure it's not going to happen any time soon, if at all, but I'd never heard of this idea before.

RE: Trails - danbrotherston - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 04:06 PM)highlander Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 03:20 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I assume this is in reference to the wish of the City of Waterloo to extend the spur line trail/laurel trail all the way up the railway line to the St. Jacobs market.

I think its a different trail, which is why it caught my interest. Here's the quote, from 1:48:41 in the video: "There's also a potential future connection of a multi-use trail down Dutton Drive and underneath the expressway that's being talked about in concept".

I'm sure it's not going to happen any time soon, if at all, but I'd never heard of this idea before.

I have a very strong suspicion that the staff member misspoke, I don't recall seeing such a trail in any master plan.

RE: Trails - Smore - 08-23-2017

Not sure if this is the right thread, but the seemingly ample space for MUT along north side of Bingemans Crt Dr is most definitely not MUT...sidewalk forming started today and is of a standard width.

RE: Trails - Pheidippides - 08-23-2017

(08-23-2017, 02:07 PM)highlander Wrote: It was deferred and they asked staff to:
- contact CN about preferred route 1 via higher level contacts that the region has (many suggested this was futile within the timeframe required to use the federal funding - March 2018)
- provide more information on a Stewart St. routing (cost of expropriation land and issues around a new crossing of the GEXR line)

Thanks for the info.

With the deferral I think it would be prudent to advocate that the recommendation to keep pursuing alternative 1 have a timeline associated with it so that it doesn't languish.

"The Region and the City of Kitchener, as a long term planning goal, continue to pursue the Alternative 1 alignment in planning applications within 3 years."

I feel like the only reference I've seen to a future trail near Dutton was some "dream" cycling network someone on here or WW had posted (Zanate maybe?).