Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 04-04-2019

That's definitely an interesting twist to the story.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - urbd - 04-04-2019

(04-04-2019, 12:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 12:39 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't disagree, I'm just saying I don't think Perimeter is "missing the boat", they're probably doing exactly what they should be to maximize profit. I think it's important to recognize that the cause isn't Perimeter acting against capitalism, it's that capitalism doesn't always work the way we want it.

According to the Record article, Perimeter had offered the barbers a long-term lease but was turned down. So now they have found a new tenant.

As in most situations, there are two sides here. The barbers' month-to-month is indeed being terminated, but they did have an option (assuming the article is correct) to commit for the long term and secure the space for themselves. They decided to not commit, but that also meant that Perimeter was at liberty to terminate at any time.

The current barbers simply could not afford the proposed (expensive) long term rate and could not afford a big investment in the space. Another independent business being forced out of downtown by this gentrification machine.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-04-2019

(04-04-2019, 03:06 PM)urbd Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 12:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: According to the Record article, Perimeter had offered the barbers a long-term lease but was turned down. So now they have found a new tenant.

As in most situations, there are two sides here. The barbers' month-to-month is indeed being terminated, but they did have an option (assuming the article is correct) to commit for the long term and secure the space for themselves. They decided to not commit, but that also meant that Perimeter was at liberty to terminate at any time.

The current barbers simply could not afford the proposed (expensive) long term rate and could not afford a big investment in the space. Another independent business being forced out of downtown by this gentrification machine.

The "gentrification machine" renovated the Walper many years ago. At the minimum, the barbers would have had advance warning based on the long-term proposal.

And they are not being forced out of downtown, they are only losing their inexpensive space at the Walper. Multiple downtown locations have been suggested in this thread. And while they may not be "inside the Walper building", I do expect that many of their customers would follow them anyway. There are lots of street-level retail options available within 3-4 blocks of their current location.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 04-04-2019

(04-04-2019, 03:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 03:06 PM)urbd Wrote: The current barbers simply could not afford the proposed (expensive) long term rate and could not afford a big investment in the space. Another independent business being forced out of downtown by this gentrification machine.

The "gentrification machine" renovated the Walper many years ago. At the minimum, the barbers would have had advance warning based on the long-term proposal.

And they are not being forced out of downtown, they are only losing their inexpensive space at the Walper. Multiple downtown locations have been suggested in this thread. And while they may not be "inside the Walper building", I do expect that many of their customers would follow them anyway. There are lots of street-level retail options available within 3-4 blocks of their current location.

The point is this. We get it about leases and business blah blah blah. It is a historical institution that will be gone forever.  People like the nostalgia.  It is easy to be objective and all when you don't have any emotional attachment. That's all we are saying. I for one will stop commenting because my thoughts are falling on deaf ears. And as I said before, I have gotten to know the Barbers over the years. I reached out and asked them about talks and warnings. They advised me they had no notice. But if the Record says they had warning then they must have. Funny how when ThThe Record reporreports on some subjects people here are quick to say they are terribleterrible reporters but on a subject like this, your willing to treat a story as gospel

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - urbd - 04-04-2019

I am actually neutral in this particular case. By gentrification machine I meant the development pressure in Downtown Kitchener as a whole, which is in fact pushing many long term tenants and residents outside of Downtown. Not getting into if this is good or bad and how can we balance it, that's a whole other discussion that is happening in another thread.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-04-2019

(04-04-2019, 03:57 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The point is this. We get it about leases and business blah blah blah. It is a historical institution that will be gone forever.  People like the nostalgia.  It is easy to be objective and all when you don't have any emotional attachment. That's all we are saying. I for one will stop commenting because my thoughts are falling on deaf ears. And as I said before, I have gotten to know the Barbers over the years. I reached out and asked them about talks and warnings. They advised me they had no notice. But if the Record says they had warning then they must have. Funny how when ThThe Record reporreports on some subjects people here are quick to say they are terribleterrible reporters but on a subject like this, your willing to treat a story as gospel

Gospel? I said, to quote, "according to the Record story …" and "assuming the article is correct".

Institutions move, too. The current barbers have been at the Walper for up to 25 years, which is pretty long. And there have been other barbers (presumably also renting space) at the Walper for much longer. But while the current location has some nostalgia (traditional location, Walper name), there are other downtown locations (in historic buildings) available nearby for the barbers to continue to ply their trade.

On a personal level, sure, it's always unfortunate when someone has to move or to look for a new job. But I do not see Perimeter as an evil corporation here: they, too, need to make sure the Walper is successful. If they cannot do it with the barbers, then they will look for a new tenant. If the hotel were owned by an individual, that person would want and need to do the same.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 04-04-2019

I doubt the success of the entire Walper hotel hinges on getting the most money for the relatively small barber shop. I hope they take their sweet old chairs and cash-register and move to another spot. I've never been there but hope they continue serving their loyal clientele even if it won't be in the Walper proper.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 04-04-2019

Someone on Reddit is claiming the new tenant is a barber shop too. Just one that was willing to sign a longer term lease, unlike the current one.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comments/b9cjl4/weeks_left_for_historic_walper_hotel_barbershop/ek417yp

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 04-05-2019

Walper Barber Shop v2.0???

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-05-2019

(04-05-2019, 10:25 AM)Spokes Wrote: Walper Barber Shop v2.0???

I expect there have been countless barbers there over the years.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-05-2019

(04-04-2019, 03:57 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 03:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The "gentrification machine" renovated the Walper many years ago. At the minimum, the barbers would have had advance warning based on the long-term proposal.

The point is this. We get it about leases and business blah blah blah. It is a historical institution that will be gone forever.  People like the nostalgia.  It is easy to be objective and all when you don't have any emotional attachment. That's all we are saying. I for one will stop commenting because my thoughts are falling on deaf ears. And as I said before, I have gotten to know the Barbers over the years. I reached out and asked them about talks and warnings. They advised me they had no notice. But if the Record says they had warning then they must have. Funny how when ThThe Record reporreports on some subjects people here are quick to say they are terribleterrible reporters but on a subject like this, your willing to treat a story as gospel

The historical instituion, istm, is A barber shop in the Walper.  If the current operation is replaced by another, more upscale, barber shop, the historical institution is maintained, no?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - lump23 - 04-05-2019

(04-05-2019, 06:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(04-04-2019, 03:57 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The point is this. We get it about leases and business blah blah blah. It is a historical institution that will be gone forever.  People like the nostalgia.  It is easy to be objective and all when you don't have any emotional attachment. That's all we are saying. I for one will stop commenting because my thoughts are falling on deaf ears. And as I said before, I have gotten to know the Barbers over the years. I reached out and asked them about talks and warnings. They advised me they had no notice. But if the Record says they had warning then they must have. Funny how when ThThe Record reporreports on some subjects people here are quick to say they are terribleterrible reporters but on a subject like this, your willing to treat a story as gospel

The historical instituion, istm, is A barber shop in the Walper.  If the current operation is replace by another, more upscale, barber shop, the historical institution is maintained, no?

the walper hotel has indeed been there for well over a hundred years and it has seen many barbers in that time. I am sorry that this has happened, however, Perimeter has invested a lot of money to update the property and they are only looking to enhance the property for the market. Why would someone be upset about them spending money to improve there investment? Should we also be sentimental about all the other institutions that have fallen by the wayside such as Budd Canada, Schnieders, Lear Seating etc? We all have fond memories about things that are considered special to us, such as Goudies or the Eaton Center at King and Water (later Market Square). When do we say, lets move on?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 04-07-2019

The time to say let's move on is now. Lol

As a disclaimer I will say I have lived here all my life but I'm also a Millenial. While we can integrate growth with some classic architecture I say let's advance.

Fyi old Schneider's factory now demolished looks like a wasteland for a movie set.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 04-07-2019

(04-05-2019, 11:01 PM)lump23 Wrote:
(04-05-2019, 06:24 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The historical instituion, istm, is A barber shop in the Walper.  If the current operation is replace by another, more upscale, barber shop, the historical institution is maintained, no?

the walper hotel has indeed been there for well over a hundred years and it has seen many barbers in that time. I am sorry that this has happened, however, Perimeter has invested a lot of money to update the property and they are only looking to enhance the property for the market. Why would someone be upset about them spending money to improve there investment? Should we also be sentimental about all the other institutions that have fallen by the wayside such as Budd Canada, Schnieders, Lear Seating etc? We all have fond memories about things that are considered special to us, such as Goudies or the Eaton Center at King and Water (later Market Square). When do we say, lets move on?

It was known as Eaton's, never Eaton Centre, afaik.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 04-09-2019

The bible mission thrift shop at 25-27 Scott St (the former Braun's Bicycles space) has closed and there are "for lease" signs on the property.

This is actually a decent-size parcel for future development, but it appears the owner is not quite ready for that yet.