Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - plam - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 05:28 PM)Markster Wrote: And in the usual case, building within the constraints of the existing zoning means building something that is largely no different from what is currently there.  When greenfield is zoned, it is zoned to precisely what is intended to be built. When a parcel is rezoned, it is usually immediately built to the specifications of the new zoning.

It is exceedingly rare for development to proceed due to up-zoning that wasn't a part of a developer's request. But, it's actually happening now, as you can see in Northdale and on King St.

For the parcel we were talking about (King and Borden), the flier said "MU-3 existing zoning", which has a minimum height of 6m and no maximum height. I don't think the existing houses even meet that minimum height.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 02-18-2015

(02-18-2015, 05:28 PM)Markster Wrote: And in the usual case, building within the constraints of the existing zoning means building something that is largely no different from what is currently there.  When greenfield is zoned, it is zoned to precisely what is intended to be built. When a parcel is rezoned, it is usually immediately built to the specifications of the new zoning.

The zoning isn't necessarily the same as what's there: it's based on what the city wants to be there.  For a prime example, see the student highrises that replaced the houses on King St N between University and Columbia.  If your project fits the zoning, you don't need to go in front of the council.

There is a lot of downtown land in KW that is built up to nowhere near what the zoning would allow.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 02-19-2015

Part of what I meant is precisely that there's a lot of upzoned land. Waterloo has done quite the job of opening up development in the Northdale area and north of uptown. Kitchener has established its mixed-use corridor zoning and will probably upzone station areas in the zoning update that is supposed to be coming this year.

My recollection was that there was some opposition to RED condos, but a few tweaks to the project (e.g. covering up the rear balconies) mostly placated it. I understand the bigger obstacle may have been city planners.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Lens - 02-20-2015

Some small Downtown news:

The ground floor of the former Boa Nova space is looking completely renovated on the inside. It doesn't look "brick and beam" style but it's an attractive space none the less

I'm not sure if someone posted this or noticed but Carbon Computing is closed for good. It looks like they only have one store of 3? Remaining.

There is hoarding up in the former Casablanca space and I saw what looked to be new toilet and plumbing supplies inside about a week ago. I'm not sure if anything is happening with the space but it could be a potential location for Together We're Bitter.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 02-22-2015

Not sure if it's "urban" or not, but it looks like there's an apartment building under construction on Duke Street West, across the street from Little City Farm.

If only someone would buy this nearby eyesore to redevelop it and put a pathway through to the Spur Line Trail...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - rangersfan - 02-22-2015

I tried to look up the site mentioned by mpd618 above on the Kitchener active permits GIS but it isn't working for me. Anyone else having trouble with the city's interactive map?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 02-22-2015

(02-22-2015, 02:24 PM)rangersfan Wrote: I tried to look up the site mentioned by mpd618 above on the Kitchener active permits GIS but it isn't working for me. Anyone else having trouble with the city's interactive map?

Yes, I asked about it today - staff know about the issue and said it should be fixed tomorrow.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - nms - 02-23-2015

(02-22-2015, 11:31 AM)mpd618 Wrote: Not sure if it's "urban" or not, but it looks like there's an apartment building under construction on Duke Street West, across the street from Little City Farm.

If only someone would buy this nearby eyesore to redevelop it and put a pathway through to the Spur Line Trail...

Looks like a perfect spot for a café/bakery and bike rental shop to me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - MidTowner - 02-23-2015

According to the building permits search on the City of Kitchener's web site, there are two permits for construction of single-family dwellings on two Duke Street lots that had been severed from a lot on Bismark Ave. I remember when the lot was for sale, it mentioned zoning for an apartment building- does that look like what's now going up?

I love nms' idea. I will not hold my breath. A few people in the neighbourhood have been waiting for redevelopment of the Electrohome building just down the block...for a long time.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - mpd618 - 02-23-2015

(02-23-2015, 04:46 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I love nms' idea. I will not hold my breath. A few people in the neighbourhood have been waiting for redevelopment of the Electrohome building just down the block...for a long time.

Well, presumably Electrohome will require large-scale environmental clean-up. The property I mentioned likely wouldn't.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Smore - 02-23-2015

I drove by today. Looks like more than one foundation going in. The basements are poured.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 03-06-2015

It seems that Zehr Group is responding to the Crown Plaza renovation and the new Delta, with long-overdue renovations at the Walper.  If I recall correctly, Walper was last renovated in the mid-1980s ...

[Image: Walper-Model-Suite-7-899x600.jpg]

http://www.zehrgroup.ca/2015/01/walper-model-suite-unveiled/

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 03-06-2015

The Walper has been closed since the beginning of January for a renovation that's supposed to last at least six months.  That model suite is much more contemporary than I would have gone (although the bathroom looks great) - I hope the public areas will retain their historic charm.  I am also hoping that the old Barristers Lounge will be turned into another "adult drinking establishment".

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 03-06-2015

Yes, more modern than I expected, too, although with some 60s retro look to the furniture. At least it doesn't look like a generic Marriott/Hilton/Delta/Crown Plaza ...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 03-06-2015

(03-06-2015, 11:42 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The Walper has been closed since the beginning of January for a renovation that's supposed to last at least six months.  That model suite is much more contemporary than I would have gone (although the bathroom looks great) - I hope the public areas will retain their historic charm.  I am also hoping that the old Barristers Lounge will be turned into another "adult drinking establishment".

Definitely a unique look.

If memory serves, aren't some of the interior finishes protected under heritage designation.