Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-07-2020

(01-07-2020, 05:31 PM)plam Wrote: OK so I'm in Wellington NZ for the next few months. Wellington is about the same population as Waterloo Region (Wellington 521k, Waterloo 535k). Yet somehow there is a lot more stuff "downtown" in Wellington vs Waterloo. I think that part of it is that Wellington doesn't have the malls on the edge of town that Waterloo has (and which, to be fair, DTK and all North American municipalities tried to combat in the 70s onwards, with no success). Why? I don't know.

I love Wellington!

NZ is less suburban than almost all of North America (though not as urban as most of Europe) so the city centres are more substantial and alive for a given population. Waterloo Region makes that somewhat worse yet by having five (!) downtowns, so there isn't a critical mass in one location.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 01-08-2020

(01-07-2020, 10:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 06:37 PM)KevinL Wrote: True, but you then need to have each unit with its own hydro circuit, with fire code compliant exits, etc; this can be costly to re-work, especially in a space not built for it.

That actually is a good point. It’s not usually a matter of just tossing a partition in there. That being said, if the alternative is leaving it vacant for years, it feels strange that a relatively minor renovation would not be in order.

I'd bet it comes down to the owner's willingness to deal with the hassle of renting it out vs. the ease of just leaving it vacant and letting the property appreciate.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 08:28 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 10:15 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: That actually is a good point. It’s not usually a matter of just tossing a partition in there. That being said, if the alternative is leaving it vacant for years, it feels strange that a relatively minor renovation would not be in order.

I'd bet it comes down to the owner's willingness to deal with the hassle of renting it out vs. the ease of just leaving it vacant and letting the property appreciate.

The property values go up (or not) regardless of whether there is a tenant. Property taxes are almost the same in either case. And even without a tenant, you have some operational costs.

But if you have a tenant, you get rental income. Every landlord would prefer a bigger tenant (or smaller number of big tenants), so it's a question of balance, of trying to figure out how long you might have to wait for a dream tenant vs renting out half or quarter of the space, and subdividing it (which precludes getting that big tenant later).

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-08-2020

(01-08-2020, 12:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-08-2020, 08:28 AM)DK519 Wrote: I'd bet it comes down to the owner's willingness to deal with the hassle of renting it out vs. the ease of just leaving it vacant and letting the property appreciate.

The property values go up (or not) regardless of whether there is a tenant. Property taxes are almost the same in either case. And even without a tenant, you have some operational costs.

But if you have a tenant, you get rental income. Every landlord would prefer a bigger tenant (or smaller number of big tenants), so it's a question of balance, of trying to figure out how long you might have to wait for a dream tenant vs renting out half or quarter of the space, and subdividing it (which precludes getting that big tenant later).

That assumes that the land/property holder is motivated to have the property generate income via investment.  Until recently (in some cases), that hadn’t been the case in DTK for decades.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Bytor - 01-08-2020

Does anybody know anything about 85 Duke St W, right by Kitchener City Hall? It looks like it was finished in 2016 according to CondoCulture but it still isn't registered according to the realtor. The condo fees are oddly low compared to anything else in DTK or UTW that I have looked at and reading online tells me that condos are usually registered in about six months after completion, but this is going on 4 years so I am wondering what part of the story is not being told.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - neonjoe - 01-08-2020

That’s City Centre Phase 1?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-08-2020

The condo corp has been up and running for years, no?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 01-08-2020

(11-23-2019, 12:23 AM)DK519 Wrote:
(11-22-2019, 09:52 PM)panamaniac Wrote: "North-west" corner?  When was the fire?
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/damage-estimated-at-500k-for-late-night-kitchener-fire-1.4658551

Hopefully they had insurance.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Acitta - 01-09-2020

Long-neglected Kitchener Electrohome factory being demolished

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 01-09-2020

(01-09-2020, 11:28 AM)Acitta Wrote: Long-neglected Kitchener Electrohome factory being demolished

Good.  Has there been any indication of how soon redevelopment might take?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 01-09-2020

(01-07-2020, 08:04 AM)Spokes Wrote: I think a lot of people still think that way

It still has that reputation...but I feel now it's more so because there is still just really no reason to go downtown. There are very few shops that offer anything you can't get elsewhere in the city. There isn't even a grocery store. There is a pretty meh farmers market once a week. There is no "nightlife". In fact there is almost no street activity past 8PM in the summer. It's like there is nothing to do but walk around without aim like the transient population does.

Granted, if you live downtown, then there is a bit more because that is your neighbourhood 365 days a week and so you make do. But what incentive is there for someone to drive from - say the areas around Stanley Park or Homer Watson? Nothing at all, unless they are running to the market or there is some one-off event going on.

I work as an architect in Waterloo Region but I just cannot live here, because for someone like me, there is very little to do. I stay in Toronto where I have more friends, where I can visit architecture conferences, I can go to art galleries, I can see music by the most obscure noise band that bangs on tin cans or pop music, I can go to a dozen niche, indie cinemas, I can go to a plethora of restaurants, bars, I can see the water, I can go to the bluffs. There is always something to do. Kitchener-Waterloo? I come here to work and once a month, check out the new art exhibits.

Waterloo Region has done almost nothing to improve the downtown cores here. You can't just plop down an expensive mass transit line and hope condo developers start making condos and that ground level shopping is going to be enough to make people care. There is more to a city than shopping, and easily getting from shop to shop.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Rainrider22 - 01-09-2020

WOW, I am sorry you feel that way. When I have time, I will start listing all the different things to do just in DTK. From theatre to movies, to great dinning, to culture, to festivals...

But I guess it depends on what you want. I dislike Toronto and have no desire to go there (I work in the GTA), but I love our town. My favorite city is Chicago, but I love Boston and New York. But, everybody has different opinions. Even though I dislike Toronto, I would not speak down about it, just not for me.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 01-09-2020

(01-09-2020, 12:19 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-07-2020, 08:04 AM)Spokes Wrote: I think a lot of people still think that way

It still has that reputation...but I feel now it's more so because there is still just really no reason to go downtown. There are very few shops that offer anything you can't get elsewhere in the city. There isn't even a grocery store. There is a pretty meh farmers market once a week. There is no "nightlife". In fact there is almost no street activity past 8PM in the summer. It's like there is nothing to do but walk around without aim like the transient population does.

Granted, if you live downtown, then there is a bit more because that is your neighbourhood 365 days a week and so you make do. But what incentive is there for someone to drive from - say the areas around Stanley Park or Homer Watson? Nothing at all, unless they are running to the market or there is some one-off event going on.

The first step in revitalization is always food and drink, and I absolutely do think that's happening. Downtown Kitchener has many of the region's best restaurants right now, and people are increasingly coming downtown for that reason. Adding a few thousand more people living downtown will bring the corresponding increase in restaurants, bars, and coffee shops, many of which will be destinations. That's not the end of revitalizing downtown, but it's a pretty significant step in the right direction.

(01-09-2020, 12:19 PM)ac3r Wrote: I work as an architect in Waterloo Region but I just cannot live here, because for someone like me, there is very little to do. I stay in Toronto where I have more friends, where I can visit architecture conferences, I can go to art galleries, I can see music by the most obscure noise band that bangs on tin cans or pop music, I can go to a dozen niche, indie cinemas, I can go to a plethora of restaurants, bars, I can see the water, I can go to the bluffs. There is always something to do. Kitchener-Waterloo? I come here to work and once a month, check out the new art exhibits.

Yes, Waterloo Region under funds the arts and that's why you don't see more of that sort of thing here. But for those that don't go to art galleries or live music much that's not a big deal. I grew up in Toronto and I've lived in San Francisco, both pretty major cities, and only thing I really miss in KW is more variety in high end food and drink. But even that is rapidly changing as the demographics of KW change.

As for water or the bluffs, I think there's plenty of nature around. Have you taken some of the trails along the grand river? Or gone out into the townships?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - westwardloo - 01-09-2020

(01-09-2020, 12:19 PM)ac3r Wrote:

I work as an architect in Waterloo Region but I just cannot live here, because for someone like me, there is very little to do. I stay in Toronto where I have more friends, where I can visit architecture conferences, I can go to art galleries, I can see music by the most obscure noise band that bangs on tin cans or pop music, I can go to a dozen niche, indie cinemas, I can go to a plethora of restaurants, bars, I can see the water, I can go to the bluffs. There is always something to do. Kitchener-Waterloo? I come here to work and once a month, check out the new art exhibits.

Waterloo Region has done almost nothing to improve the downtown cores here. You can't just plop down an expensive mass transit line and hope condo developers start making condos and that ground level shopping is going to be enough to make people care. There is more to a city than shopping, and easily getting from shop to shop.
All great points. Kitchener needs to start reinvesting in arts and culture with a focus point downtown. It's great that we built a theatre 30 years ago. But what has been done since then? The museum is a great addition. I am hoping that there is a large expansion I  the works and possibly a completely new built space for it. I would love to see more small theatre spaces/ concert venue. Having said this. Getting people to luve and work downtown is step #1 and kitchener has been doing a good job for the last decade. There is still a lot of work to be done, but it is a step in the right direction. 
I lived and worked at an architectural firm in Toronto. Personally I wasn't in love with the city. There is lots to do, but by the time I finished paying for rent I had no disposable income to enjoy what the city had to offer. Kitchener isn't that far from Toronto, so if I really want to see a concert or sporting event it's not a far drive/train. Hopefully as 2-way all day go comes into effect it will feel even closer.
I will admit that Toronto has a plethora of amazing little nieghbourhood, each with so many unique restaurants. Its something kitchener never developed. We have the downtown's and maybe Belmont village then strip malls,  with generic Kelsey's and chucks roadhouse. Unfortunately I think People in the suburbs love stripmalls and big box stores for what ever reason. Those people are never going to shop downtown no matter what it has to offer. The main focus should be density. Keep adding condo towers and office towers. The downtown's will slowly shift to become a more urban centre. With that I believe the cultural scene will follow.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 01-09-2020

(01-09-2020, 12:46 PM)westwardloo Wrote: All great points. Kitchener needs to start reinvesting in arts and culture with a focus point downtown. It's great that we built a theatre 30 years ago. But what has been done since then? The museum is a great addition. I am hoping that there is a large expansion I  the works and possibly a completely new built space for it. I would love to see more small theatre spaces/ concert venue.

I think the old Charles Street Terminal offers some great land for something like this. It's at the doorstep to Victoria Park, it's a block away from King, there is ample parking in the Benton garage and there are two LRT stops right there. They could easily develop that to offer both a cultural space and living space (it could even be made to be affordable). Build a nice, tall mixed used development and offer some space inside for music, art exhibitions, public events. They could build a beautiful public square with food fountains, seating, green space on the outside, They could do amazing work there, so I really hope they don't just sell it off to the highest bidder to stick down a condo that few people will be able to afford to live in or shop at whatever trendy shops happen to be on the first floor.