Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - clasher - 06-02-2020

(06-01-2020, 09:03 PM)jeffster Wrote: There seems to be only once occurrence in Canada, but it's hard to call it 'white flight' as it involved Brampton, which is basically a bedroom community of Toronto, and doesn't have much of a core.

I dunno if Brampton was so much white flight as it was just higher growth among non-whites... there were only ~18,000 people living there in 1961. Dunno where one would find the historical demographics to compare but it would be interesting to see.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 06-02-2020

(06-02-2020, 09:26 AM)clasher Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 09:03 PM)jeffster Wrote: There seems to be only once occurrence in Canada, but it's hard to call it 'white flight' as it involved Brampton, which is basically a bedroom community of Toronto, and doesn't have much of a core.

I dunno if Brampton was so much white flight as it was just higher growth among non-whites... there were only ~18,000 people living there in 1961. Dunno where one would find the historical demographics to compare but it would be interesting to see.

According to the link I posted, Brampton lost 23,000 ‘white people’ while the population of the city itself increased 60%, in a 2013 article. Further to that, the white population decreased from 192,000 in 2001 to 151,000 now. Whites make up only 25% of the population now - they’re the visible minority.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-02-2020

Markham would be comparable to Brampton in this regard, no?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-02-2020

(06-02-2020, 10:16 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 09:26 AM)clasher Wrote: I dunno if Brampton was so much white flight as it was just higher growth among non-whites... there were only ~18,000 people living there in 1961. Dunno where one would find the historical demographics to compare but it would be interesting to see.

According to the link I posted, Brampton lost 23,000 ‘white people’ while the population of the city itself increased 60%, in a 2013 article. Further to that, the white population decreased from 192,000 in 2001 to 151,000 now. Whites make up only 25% of the population now - they’re the visible minority.

It's quite a different scenario from what happened in, say, Detroit.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - robdrimmie - 06-03-2020

(06-01-2020, 05:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: But the article's claim that urban people are happier is 1) contrary to every study I've seen so far, and 2) not at all supported by the study linked in the article. In fact, the word "happy" (or its derivatives) isn't mentioned a single time in the study.

It's unfortunate that you don't cite these studies you mention. I think I would enjoy reading them.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 08:10 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 05:44 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: But the article's claim that urban people are happier is 1) contrary to every study I've seen so far, and 2) not at all supported by the study linked in the article. In fact, the word "happy" (or its derivatives) isn't mentioned a single time in the study.

It's unfortunate that you don't cite these studies you mention. I think I would enjoy reading them.

It's also not at all the case that the article is not supported by the study, as we have discussed "happy" is impossible to measure directly, generally we measure it either by self report, which is problematic (North Korea scores very high here), or by indirect measures like health, social interaction, and safety, which is exactly what this study did.  You can argue about the relative relevancy of the indirect measures but you cannot say that it isn't supported at all.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 06-03-2020

A number of allegations of improper pricing and short changing at New City Supermarket:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comments/gvnfyk/gravitational_anomaly_in_new_city_supermarket/

Does anyone else have experience with this? They seem busy enough, so I wouldn't expect this, but it would be disappointing to hear about this kind of thing going on.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 11:19 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: A number of allegations of improper pricing and short changing at New City Supermarket:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comments/gvnfyk/gravitational_anomaly_in_new_city_supermarket/

Does anyone else have experience with this? They seem busy enough, so I wouldn't expect this, but it would be disappointing to hear about this kind of thing going on.

Well, basically two complaints. One with overcharging, and one where it appears that meat package weights were including the weight of the dish or cutting board (134 g). The second could be an honest mistake, too, from someone who doesn't know how to use a scale properly.

We shop there fairly frequently. While some of the staff are less than friendly, I have had no issues with their business practices so far.

Soil contamination testing ongoing this morning at 787 King St E (at Stirling). No building permits in the city's system for this property.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - white_brian - 06-03-2020

There is still no sign of this and the other old service station being sold. I would assume this testing is related to the potential sale

That's my assumption, too. This one is really rather small on its own, I think, for redevelopment, but the combination is 0.32 hectares (about 0.8 acres) that should be enough for a mid-rise building, in spite of the odd lot shape.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-03-2020

(06-03-2020, 01:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's my assumption, too. This one is really rather small on its own, I think, for redevelopment, but the combination is 0.32 hectares (about 0.8 acres) that should be enough for a mid-rise building, in spite of the odd lot shape.

An odd-shaped lot that might make for an interesting "flatiron" building.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jeffster - 06-03-2020

(06-02-2020, 10:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-02-2020, 10:16 AM)jeffster Wrote: According to the link I posted, Brampton lost 23,000 ‘white people’ while the population of the city itself increased 60%, in a 2013 article. Further to that, the white population decreased from 192,000 in 2001 to 151,000 now. Whites make up only 25% of the population now - they’re the visible minority.

It's quite a different scenario from what happened in, say, Detroit.

It's different in the sense that Brampton still grew in population while Caucasian populate shrank, but at a much lower rate. Detroit's population went from 1.85M with about 1.5M white folks, to 670,000 people with about 67,000 white folks.

It's also fascinating to look across the other border at Buffalo, in 1900 it was the 8th largest city in the USA, in 1950 it's population peaked at close to 600,000, and was the 15th largest city in the USA, now Buffalo's estimated population is identical to Kitchener, both are at 255,000.

There are many reasons for what happened to those cities, but that's not my field.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jwilliamson - 06-10-2020

There is some framing work being done on the roof of this building near the Spur Line and Union. It looks like they're adding another floor.

[attachment=7066]

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - bgb_ca - 06-10-2020

(06-10-2020, 12:34 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: There is some framing work being done on the roof of this building near the Spur Line and Union. It looks like they're adding another floor.

I live close to this. (The exact address is 144 Lucan Ave). When this building was sold several years back, they revealed plans to add an additional story or two to it (I can't remember exactly, it was a long time ago when the notice was posted) as part of their renovation plans.

Edit: BTW This building is technically in Waterloo, and not Kitchener.