Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BruceAshe - 06-16-2020

(06-16-2020, 11:25 AM)DK519 Wrote: 1001 King Street East

https://civichubwr.org/wp-content/uploads/LiVinci-Final-Presentation-1.pdf

Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I assumed VIVE owned this lot as well so I was surprised to see this would have a chance at happening. Unless it's just spit balling at the moment.

It looks like it opened at the Lot42 location instead. It just opened in the last week or two.

Edit to add link to article https://outline.com/Y6NSex

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 06-16-2020

(06-16-2020, 11:45 AM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 11:25 AM)DK519 Wrote: 1001 King Street East

https://civichubwr.org/wp-content/uploads/LiVinci-Final-Presentation-1.pdf

Has anyone heard anything regarding this? I assumed VIVE owned this lot as well so I was surprised to see this would have a chance at happening. Unless it's just spit balling at the moment.

It looks like it opened at the Lot42 location instead. It just opened in the last week or two.

I knew about the Lot42 location, it was just posted on Nextdoor as if King St. would be the next location. 

Maybe I'm mistaken.

(06-16-2020, 12:19 PM)DK519 Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 11:45 AM)BruceAshe Wrote: It looks like it opened at the Lot42 location instead. It just opened in the last week or two.

I knew about the Lot42 location, it was just posted on Nextdoor as if King St. would be the next location. 

Maybe I'm mistaken.

When I read the proposals for the Better Tent City, it seemed like it was a one or the other location. Maybe they are thinking of a second or more permanent location now? I just read some of that post in next door, but I don't think they actually know either especially since they aren't even aware if Vive owns that property. Doesn't of that side of King from Borden to Ottawa have at least vague redevelopment plans? I've sort of lost track of everything that has been proposed or suggested for that area even though that's my neighbourhood.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 06-16-2020

(06-16-2020, 01:27 PM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 12:19 PM)DK519 Wrote: I knew about the Lot42 location, it was just posted on Nextdoor as if King St. would be the next location. 

Maybe I'm mistaken.

When I read the proposals for the Better Tent City, it seemed like it was a one or the other location. Maybe they are thinking of a second or more permanent location now? I just read some of that post in next door, but I don't think they actually know either especially since they aren't even aware if Vive owns that property. Doesn't of that side of King from Borden to Ottawa have at least vague redevelopment plans? I've sort of lost track of everything that has been proposed or suggested for that area even though that's my neighbourhood.

Why do we think they are not aware that Vive owns the King St E property?

Yes, this area is surely slated for development, but I think Vive has enough projects on the go right now that they might be willing to let Civic Hub use it for a few years.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - robdrimmie - 06-16-2020

The best source of information about the project is the live web page where this document was retrieved: https://civichubwr.org/a-better-tent-city/

The file creation date of the `LiVinci-Final-Presentation-1.pdf` document that identifies both sites is April 6.

The Civic Hub page describing the project links to the LiVinci document as well as another, https://civichubwr.org/wp-content/uploads/CCCGroup_FinalPresentation-1.pdf, which includes the date April 6 in the document itself. Both these documents were proposals from UW planning students.

Unfortunately, the page itself had not been captured by the Internet Archive before today, so it's tricky to compare historical details.

It seems very likely that both locations were considered, and provided to the Waterloo Planning students. Lot42 is where the current effort is focused though. The 1001 King St. East location may well be considered in the future, but the project at present seems to be very focused on Lot42.

I believe that it is most likely the case that these two documents were the basis for early discussion and consideration, and the final decision landed with Lot42, if only because the owner of the property is a very strong advocate for the project. They are historic documents now though.

(06-16-2020, 01:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-16-2020, 01:27 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: When I read the proposals for the Better Tent City, it seemed like it was a one or the other location. Maybe they are thinking of a second or more permanent location now? I just read some of that post in next door, but I don't think they actually know either especially since they aren't even aware if Vive owns that property. Doesn't of that side of King from Borden to Ottawa have at least vague redevelopment plans? I've sort of lost track of everything that has been proposed or suggested for that area even though that's my neighbourhood.

Why do we think they are not aware that Vive owns the King St E property?

Yes, this area is surely slated for development, but I think Vive has enough projects on the go right now that they might be willing to let Civic Hub use it for a few years.

The person who made the post on Next Door and wrote an article about the King St location doesn't know who owns the property, so I'm not sure that they are even involved in the idea or the best source of information regarding if it will be located there. I'm sure those who are responsible for the Better Tent City would know that.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - taylortbb - 06-16-2020

(06-15-2020, 09:41 AM)clasher Wrote: I wish they'd just stop with those faux olde-timey lights, they're not that great at actually lighting up the road and sidewalks. Now they need to enforce the no stopping/parking when people leave their cars in front of the Walper's doors to check in and get the valet service. It seemed ridiculous to me that was allowed at all.

I agree on the old-timey lights. They're not very good lights, and they're not high end enough to actually look historical. At least on Queen St they put them on solid black poles. At King/Victoria we have these brand new old-timey light fixtures mounted on to totally modern poles that hold the light rail OCS, and it looks absurd.

(06-15-2020, 12:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Sorry, does the reconfiguration include a bay in front of the Walper?

There is no bay in front of the Walper now, the curbs go straight through there. However, the sidewalk in front of the Walper is paved with asphalt rather than concrete, right up to the building. Paired with the roll curbs it seems to be a pretty clear indication that people loading/unloading at the Walper are expected to park completely blocking the sidewalk. No idea how that's acceptable, but based on walking by and looking at it that's the only conclusion I can reach. Certainly the fact it looks that way means people will use it that way. I still fail to understand the local obsession with roll curbs, drivers certainly think that they mean they're a place where they can drive, and I fully expect any Uber/taxi called to the new Queen St to pull up on the sidewalk as a result.

Design complaints aside, the section from King to Charles is now open to traffic, and the section from King to Duke is now closed to traffic.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 06-16-2020

(06-16-2020, 04:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There is no bay in front of the Walper now, the curbs go straight through there. However, the sidewalk in front of the Walper is paved with asphalt rather than concrete, right up to the building. Paired with the roll curbs it seems to be a pretty clear indication that people loading/unloading at the Walper are expected to park completely blocking the sidewalk.

It’s a woonerf!

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Square - 06-16-2020

(06-16-2020, 04:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 09:41 AM)clasher Wrote: I wish they'd just stop with those faux olde-timey lights, they're not that great at actually lighting up the road and sidewalks. Now they need to enforce the no stopping/parking when people leave their cars in front of the Walper's doors to check in and get the valet service. It seemed ridiculous to me that was allowed at all.

I agree on the old-timey lights. They're not very good lights, and they're not high end enough to actually look historical. At least on Queen St they put them on solid black poles. At King/Victoria we have these brand new old-timey light fixtures mounted on to totally modern poles that hold the light rail OCS, and it looks absurd.

(06-15-2020, 12:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Sorry, does the reconfiguration include a bay in front of the Walper?

There is no bay in front of the Walper now, the curbs go straight through there. However, the sidewalk in front of the Walper is paved with asphalt rather than concrete, right up to the building. Paired with the roll curbs it seems to be a pretty clear indication that people loading/unloading at the Walper are expected to park completely blocking the sidewalk. No idea how that's acceptable, but based on walking by and looking at it that's the only conclusion I can reach. Certainly the fact it looks that way means people will use it that way. I still fail to understand the local obsession with roll curbs, drivers certainly think that they mean they're a place where they can drive, and I fully expect any Uber/taxi called to the new Queen St to pull up on the sidewalk as a result.

Design complaints aside, the section from King to Charles is now open to traffic, and the section from King to Duke is now closed to traffic.
100% agree on the lights.  I like these lights in Preston.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.3993546,-80.3650753,3a,16.3y,141.42h,102.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFX9ch8leXKgN_EX1AG8oUg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!5m2!1e4!1e1

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 06-16-2020

Ahh, I've seen that kind of arrangement before, albeit on a wider sidewalk.  The expectation will be that taxis, or whatever, pull over enough to permit cars to pass while leaving room for a person to get by between the building and the vehicle (hoping not to get "doored" in the process!).  Of course, if a driver is a dolt who doesn't need to open the passenger-side doors, I guess they would be able to fully block the sidewalk.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 06-16-2020

*sigh audible from the other end of the city*.....

Why am I not surprised.  This was never made clear during the PIC...because of course it wasn't...

There were also supposed to be bollards if I recall, but I maybe that didn't make it into the final idea either.

Just some photos I took.

New pavement always looks good.

Nice details on the sidewalk here.  But you can really see how narrow the sidewalk is between the pole and the building, as a result of the left turn lane. I doubt this meets the 1.8 m minimum sidewalk width...

It is asphalt, absolutely ridiculous.  It's very poorly paved though, it *could* be temporary but it doesn't really look it, probably just very sloppy.

Lots of tire tracks on the sidewalk already....*sigh*...why...just.....why?

This last thing drives me absolutely bonkers.  This is the "roll" curb.  It's virtually flat. The curbs they use along the trail, at the new IHT crossing are FAR more aggressive.  So the curbs they put IN THE WAY of cyclists, are far more aggressive than the curbs they use to SEPARATE cars from soft squishy humans.

Aboslutely freaking bananas.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 06-16-2020

That asphalt HAS to be temporary. Nobody makes a permanent sidewalk from asphalt, it's not done. And I doubt the Walper would agree with it.

In fact, I'm gonna presume there's some kind of special treatment coming here just for the Walper, but will be delayed a bit so it's asphalt for now.

(06-16-2020, 08:30 PM)KevinL Wrote: That asphalt HAS to be temporary. Nobody makes a permanent sidewalk from asphalt, it's not done. And I doubt the Walper would agree with it.

In fact, I'm gonna presume there's some kind of special treatment coming here just for the Walper, but will be delayed a bit so it's asphalt for now.

It's possible...

I wouldn't say nobody does though, its' very common in other countries, so much that the word "pavement" means sidewalk in the UK.

But it does look out of place....

I do think that incursions into the sidewalk by cars will be a common problem however, unless bollards are installed...which again, I remember being in the plan, but I do not see any evidence of now, no foundations at all..