Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - midriser - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 12:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 650/656/664 King St E (a single-storey commercial building at the corner of King St E and Pandora Ave N, plus two adjoining single-family homes) have demolition fencing around them. No demolition permit showing in the city's system yet, though.

The combined property is about 0.25 acres, so you could squeeze in a mixed-use mid-rise apartment building; I expect that would be more likely than a townhouse complex on King St.

There was some discussion in this thread about these properties a little while ago (page 208). Unfortunately there won't be a new build here, the middle house is being demolished for parking and the commercial building and remaining house are being converted into medical offices. Medical offices are always in need so that's a positive, but the demolition of a century home for surface parking right on King is really disappointing.

Link to COK staff report: http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=2&event_id=527&meta_id=59738

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 07-03-2020

The roll curbs for the sidewalk seem strange, but it appears like they have a bollard between two of the lamp posts and maybe they have bollards between the others as well. Perhaps they're trying to do the same thing they did on King Street in front of city hall to allow the street to be closed for special events.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 12:24 PM)timc Wrote: Are those ... roll curbs? Along Queen Street?

Same as King, no?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 05:59 PM)jamincan Wrote: The roll curbs for the sidewalk seem strange, but it appears like they have a bollard between two of the lamp posts and maybe they have bollards between the others as well. Perhaps they're trying to do the same thing they did on King Street in front of city hall to allow the street to be closed for special events.

I thought there were bollards in the plan but I don’t think that’s a bollard, it isn’t positioned right and there is no evidence of any other bollards going in. 

and yes, this is like king but unlike king parking is not permitted so why?

the road should just be closed. IMHO.

(07-03-2020, 05:21 PM)Acitta Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 09:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote: New retail spaces?  That's optimistic ...
Well, Charlie West, 345 King W., Duke Tower, City Centre, Market Flats, Drewlo project, Mayfair and Station Park all have street level commercial. Maybe some of the others do as well. That is a lot of potential retail space to be filled over the next few years. A lot of new residents will be filling all of those condos and rental apartments. They will be shopping somewhere. The developers must be optimistic or they wouldn't be building.

Not to mention the renovated retail on Queen and the American-block.

(07-03-2020, 05:38 PM)I midriser Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 12:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 650/656/664 King St E (a single-storey commercial building at the corner of King St E and Pandora Ave N, plus two adjoining single-family homes) have demolition fencing around them. No demolition permit showing in the city's system yet, though.

The combined property is about 0.25 acres, so you could squeeze in a mixed-use mid-rise apartment building; I expect that would be more likely than a townhouse complex on King St.

There was some discussion in this thread about these properties a little while ago (page 208). Unfortunately there won't be a new build here, the middle house is being demolished for parking and the commercial building and remaining house are being converted into medical offices. Medical offices are always in need so that's a positive, but the demolition of a century home for surface parking right on King is really disappointing.

Link to COK staff report: http://kitchener.ca.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=2&event_id=527&meta_id=59738

Indeed disappointing. Where are the heritage folks on this one. Hmmm....

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-03-2020

(07-03-2020, 08:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 05:59 PM)jamincan Wrote: The roll curbs for the sidewalk seem strange, but it appears like they have a bollard between two of the lamp posts and maybe they have bollards between the others as well. Perhaps they're trying to do the same thing they did on King Street in front of city hall to allow the street to be closed for special events.

I thought there were bollards in the plan but I don’t think that’s a bollard, it isn’t positioned right and there is no evidence of any other bollards going in. 

Yes, not a bollard, or at least not like those on King.  It’s very oddly placed - some sort of extra protection for the gas?  Something to stop cars from doing bank or hotel drop offs?  It just seems odd.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Momo26 - 07-03-2020

potential for a cool cobble stone looking block for pedestrians only (along Queen, Duke to Charles) but nah, they won't have it Wink

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 07-04-2020

(07-03-2020, 11:46 PM)Momo26 Wrote: potential for a cool cobble stone looking block for pedestrians only (along Queen, Duke to Charles) but nah, they won't have it Wink

Gaukel, Ontario, Young, College, and Francis would all make more sense for that than Queen, imo.

(07-03-2020, 08:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 05:38 PM)I midriser Wrote: There was some discussion in this thread about these properties a little while ago (page 208). Unfortunately there won't be a new build here, the middle house is being demolished for parking and the commercial building and remaining house are being converted into medical offices. Medical offices are always in need so that's a positive, but the demolition of a century home for surface parking right on King is really disappointing.

Indeed disappointing. Where are the heritage folks on this one. Hmmm....

Heritage?  Not these three.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-04-2020

(07-03-2020, 05:38 PM)midriser Wrote:

Ah yes, I remember that now. No surface parking is not ideal, but this is a fair distance from the core so if the two other buildings get active use (as medical offices) this will still be an improvement.

And probably not quite century homes yet: I would guess that the two houses were likely built somewhere around 1930. Old, but with no particular heritage attributes.

(07-03-2020, 08:30 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:

(07-04-2020, 11:09 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 05:38 PM)midriser Wrote: There was some discussion in this thread about these properties a little while ago (page 208). Unfortunately there won't be a new build here, the middle house is being demolished for parking and the commercial building and remaining house are being converted into medical offices. Medical offices are always in need so that's a positive, but the demolition of a century home for surface parking right on King is really disappointing.

Ah yes, I remember that now. No surface parking is not ideal, but this is a fair distance from the core so if the two other buildings get active use (as medical offices) this will still be an improvement.

And probably not quite century homes yet: I would guess that the two houses were likely built somewhere around 1930. Old, but with no particular heritage attributes.

More interesting from a heritage perspective would be the large, buff brick Italianate house on Pandora right behind what will become the parking lot.  Although I think it has been altered over the years.  Tearing down the house on King St will make it much more visible to passersby.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 07-04-2020

(07-04-2020, 11:15 AM)panamaniac Wrote: More interesting from a heritage perspective would be the large, buff brick Italianate house on Pandora right behind what will become the parking lot.  Although I think it has been altered over the years.  Tearing down the house on King St will make it much more visible to passersby.

That one is indeed more interesting. I expect it is a 4-plex or something similar now. But most curious is the change of colour between 2011 and 2014. Was the brick painted red before?

Somebody spent a fair bit of cash cleaning up the exterior and adding that new veranda.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 07-04-2020

Waterloo region sure loves their roll curbs