Waterloo Region Connected
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=8)

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 09-20-2020

I dunno...it's a pretty reliable response, I don't think it's unreasonable to call out when they're only angling at it, as opposed to outright opposing it, especially given it's location on Weber St.

By the way, things like shadow studies are the very kind of things that delay and increase cost of housing.

As for their effectiveness, they absolutely are effective, NIMBYs have killed or meaningfully reduced many projects in the city, they are especially effective when the heritage committee also supports them.

Contrary to their crying, they are listened too, and they are contributing to the increase in housing cost in the region.

There are tall buildings all over this neighbourhood...I haven't the slightest idea how any of them got built.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - Spokes - 09-21-2020

(09-18-2020, 09:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: One thing that I really like about this and the just-starting Weber/Scott/Pearl St project is the expansion of the intensification to the far side of Weber. 242-262 Queen, Arrow 2 and Barra are extending the building intensity (Kitchener) south along Queen, and these two projects are taking it in the opposite direction. DTK, Weber/Scott and Weber/Ontario are also good, bringing more height to the blocks between Duke and Weber.

Gone are the days of DTK being pretty much King St only

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - BruceAshe - 09-21-2020

Shadow studies for the Weber St proposal have already been done and are included in the link I posted. The only properties that seem to have any are the backyards of some on Roy St and I think they are all commercial properties.

Lower Kitchener | 32f ++ | Proposed - panamaniac - 09-21-2020

(09-21-2020, 03:20 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Shadow studies for the Weber St proposal have already been done and are included in the link I posted. The only properties that seem to have any are the backyards of some on Roy St and I think they are all commercial properties.

Shadow studies are always done for highrise towers, no?

RE: Lower Kitchener | 32f ++ | Proposed - Spokes - 09-24-2020

(09-21-2020, 03:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-21-2020, 03:20 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: Shadow studies for the Weber St proposal have already been done and are included in the link I posted. The only properties that seem to have any are the backyards of some on Roy St and I think they are all commercial properties.

Shadow studies are always done for highrise towers, no?

I thought so...

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - tomh009 - 09-27-2020

Street "paint" applications on Queen St.

The cenotaph surround, recast.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - KevinL - 09-27-2020

I somehow got the impression that the centotaph memorial was going to be disassembled and cleaned during this process. Did they choose to forgo that step?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 01:49 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Street "paint" applications on Queen St.

The street art is great, I do question how it will stand up to heavy vehicle traffic that is apparently mandatory in the pedestrian centre of our city though, it would be a shame if all that money is worn away in only 3-4 years (yes, that product lasts longer than paint, but unlike most road markings it is directly under the path of tire wear on the pavement). Of course, we also have the pointless sharrows right next to it.

Guakel also has it's street art finished, looks great there as well.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-27-2020

I thought it was expected NOT to last - its transitory nature is part of the art, surely?

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 04:30 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I thought it was expected NOT to last - its transitory nature is part of the art, surely?
Maybe, but for the money it's kind of sad how temporary it is. 

The art on Eby St. was over $100K.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 04:30 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I thought it was expected NOT to last - its transitory nature is part of the art, surely?

I mean last is always relative but doing the melted plastic treatment isn't cheap.

The problem is I doubt there are plans to redo it repeatedly over the lifetime of the project...which there should be if it is expected not to last.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - panamaniac - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 04:38 PM)DK519 Wrote:
Maybe, but for the money it's kind of sad how temporary it is. 

The murals in the new mural project are also not permanent and the first go-round is budgeted at $100G.  To me it gives a sort of “city as gallery” vibe that appeals to me. That said, I’m a bit surprised at the Erb St price tag.

It's a thermoplastic coating (see the first photo for it being applied) so it certainly will not wear off very quickly, but I don't know what specific product they are using or what the expected lifetime is.

RE: General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours - DK519 - 09-27-2020

(09-27-2020, 07:23 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-27-2020, 04:38 PM)DK519 Wrote: Maybe, but for the money it's kind of sad how temporary it is. 

The murals in the new mural project are also not permanent and the first go-round is budgeted at $100G.  To me it gives a sort of “city as gallery” vibe that appeals to me. That said, I’m a bit surprised at the Erb St price tag.
I lied. It was only $70K

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2018/06/22/bia-spending-70-000-on-street-mural-in-front-of-market.html