Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
General University Area Updates and Rumours
(01-28-2022, 05:38 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 08:44 PM)Bytor Wrote: You can pick up groceries with a bicycle or by transit. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years. You might be surprised at how much you can get into a decent set of panniers. I know of some that can fit two each of those big reusable bags with the double set of long and short handles. I can easily bring home enough for meals for two for a week with just two of those bags. I also have a two-wheeled cart in which I can fit 6 of those bags.

You can also get your children from day care or school by transit or a by bike, too. There's these awesome things called child seats and bike trailers. Or the really neat Dutch-style cargo bikes, which can also be used for grocery shopping.

You are objectively wrong about most of your claims about what you can and cannot do with a bike or transit.

Plus, you also seem to be assuming that once they make a choice on mode, they are limited to only that mode.

Dude...I know you love bikes but you fail to see the bigger picture most of the time. You can cite all the studies and anecdotes you want but those don't matter to most people. Using your logic, horse and buggy is still viable. And sure, technically it is, but how many people in this century are going to use that? Or dump their car and haul their groceries home from Costco?

--snip--

A lot of posters on this forum have truly never studied urban development in depth and it shows. Things aren't as black and white as you imagine them to be. Call me objectively wrong all you want if that helps, but I'm really not. My entire career is devoted to researching this stuff. I've written a thesis on alternative transportation, but the truth is people still need and want vehicles and we need the infrastructure to support that.

You're 100% right.

That is a problem here -- you have some that are so hardcore with their bikes and belief that everyone can -- and should -- be riding one. Reality, the majority own personal vehicles because of their convenience, protection from weather, they're self-employed, they take care of elderly parents, multiple appointments per day, etc. Public transit doesn't cut it either, especially with its very limited service.

In regards to public transit, as I had mentioned before, my daughter was molested on GRT, and no one f*cking cared. She had to take the GRT to school as it was out of our boundaries (we're in Forest Heights territories, she was going to KCI) -- but in the end, the WRDSB and STS got her a yellow bus. She's not alone with the assaulting and molestations that occur on transit when you have rift raft using it and zero policing. My guess is that most of the posters on here (not all, but most) are male and likely never have had to deal with things that young females have to deal with.

I am good with infrastructure spending on bike lanes and transit, but the very vocal minority (though seems like a majority at this site) need to respect those of us that have to drive, for whatever reason.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: General University Area Updates and Rumours - by jeffster - 01-29-2022, 01:05 PM