Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
(09-06-2016, 04:49 PM)timio Wrote: Weber Street North, South, East, or West?

The most important thing here to remember is that Weber St. runs parallel to King St. through all of its three intersections with it.

(09-06-2016, 06:56 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 04:49 PM)timio Wrote: Weber Street North, South, East, or West?

The most important thing here to remember is that Weber St. runs parallel to King St. through all of its three intersections with it.

Only two now ... N of Columbia, and at the St Jacobs Farmers' Market.
(09-06-2016, 10:45 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 06:56 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: The most important thing here to remember is that Weber St. runs parallel to King St. through all of its three intersections with it.

Only two now ... N of Columbia, and at the St Jacobs Farmers' Market.

Yeah, in the other place Weber Street East becomes King Street East, just a bit east of King Street East (no, not that one, the other one).
It just came to my attention that now with the underpass we have King St. East, King St. West, King St. Down, King St. Up, King St. South and King St. North   Tongue
(09-05-2016, 09:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 09:12 PM)Canard Wrote: Yes, I was reading that just now as well - but didn't see any reference to "7/8 Bypass".

7187 is hilarious.  I'm out.  I'll never get it!

Highway 8 Expressway!  I had never heard that before!

At work we refer to it as the "X-way" (pronounced Ex-Way).... thats close....
(09-06-2016, 10:02 AM)GtwoK Wrote: [Image: nNPmH9D.png]

And in even more detail

Can't believe they aren't reconfiguring this one too.
(09-08-2016, 08:16 PM)DHLawrence Wrote:
(09-06-2016, 10:02 AM)GtwoK Wrote: [Image: nNPmH9D.png]

And in even more detail

Can't believe they aren't reconfiguring this one too.

I agree! However, you do have to look at it from a neighbourhood standpoint. You either tear-down the historic Preston Springs Hotel or the Pines Event Centre across the street. Both would be a loss to the town Sad

The original plan was to tear down Preston Springs and put a roundabout there, but that didn't fly very far.
That's too bad, because that building is still sitting there rotting and doing nothing.
I agree Canard!

Such a waste that it was left to rot :Sad Such a cool building we do need to save, but who is going to take it on? No one at this point...
The intersection of King and Fountain in Cambridge reminds me a lot of the intersection of Lancaster and Bridge in Kitchener pre-roundabout. The Grand Hotel at this intersection had a similar placement to the intersection as the Preston Springs Hotel.

However, there were little objections to demolishing the Grand Hotel and doing away with it's colourful Bridgeport stripclub history.
Preston Springs is owned by Haastown Holdings. It's on his to-do list, last I heard; he'd put it up for sale but took it off the market after there were no takers.

It was my understanding that Knotty Pine was coming down anyway to allow Fountain Street to be widened.
(09-09-2016, 09:53 AM)gomesjustin Wrote: I agree Canard!

Such a waste that it was left to rot :Sad Such a cool building we do need to save, but who is going to take it on? No one at this point...

Cities pass heritage designations and then owners, new or old don't have the capital to keep the facility in good condition.

The big question is who (current owner?) or what (City of Cambridge?) entity will pay to revitalize the building?

This is a building well worth preserving, and in the past I proposed here an extensive realignment of Fountain St to bring back this building into the urban fold.

With the current road configuration I just don't see a private investor putting in the money to save it, nor do I see a potential tenant who could take advantage of its unique features.
So in that case it'd be better to come down. Right now, sitting stagnant it's doing nothing for the heritage of the building, and it's hindering he development of better traffic flow in the area. Lose/Lose. The current situation is the worst possible one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »