Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Walking in Waterloo Region
LOL, amazing.

Move on folks.
Yes, it is. My thoughts exactly.

What do other people think about the installation of traffic cams at busier intersections? Does the issue of personal privacy trump personal safety in your opinion?
I'm of the mind that the existence of these cams would be posted as the goal is less about catching those who break the law, and more about trying to prevent accidents as a result of infraction (by anyone).

There was much objection when speeding cameras were to be installed along highways. I think it was HRH Mike Harris who axed that idea, though I could be mistaken.

Thoughts?
I never understand the objection to speed cameras and red light cameras, it seems like some people have a belief that they have a right to break the law without getting caught.

The only reasonable argument against them is in cities where corruption has been demonstrated, where city officials modified roads to induce additional law breaking (shortening yellow times for example) for the express purpose of increasing city revenues.  I've seen no evidence of that here, but it doesn't stop the average internet commenter from crying "cash grab" seems like any time any ticket is ever issued.

As for knocking on cars.  I'm sorry, if you're failing to yield to me, and I can't get your attention with my voice, I'm going to knock on your window or your hood, that's a perfectly acceptable thing to do (you know, the same way someone might knock on the door to your home).  This is the same as putting a hand on someone's shoulder who is blocking your way or even backing into you through a hallway and when you you are unable to get their attention by saying excuse me.  Of course, it doesn't happen for people in a hallway very often on account them not being in a metal box.

And I'm sorry, if you are more upset by someone knocking on your car than you are by nearly running over a pedestrian, well that's a question of priorities.
Honestly, what should be more worrying is Mercedes: http://fortune.com/2016/10/15/mercedes-s...ar-ethics/

The idea being that the self-driving car might be able to save its occupants, but won't worry as much about external people, its first priority being whether it can save occupants. The extensions of this, already brought up, are that pedestrians are a deceleration device for the car to use and be less damaged by.
Thanks a lot for the link! I guess autonomous vehicles could easily decide one way or another in the trolley problem.

I was going to post this from City Lab from the other day: How Driverless Cars Could Empower Pedestrians

I find that interesting, too, that autonomous vehicles could be so law-abiding and unwilling to strike people that one could walk with impunity wherever, and certainly not have to regularly cede the right of way as is the case now.

Realistically, though, this technology is a long way away. In the meantime, we have cars which are operated by people who often prioritize other people's safety less than preventing miniscule delays to themselves, and routinely break the rules.
I'm all for photo radar and cameras everywhere - I drive responsibly and carefully and wish others did, too - so if it prevents others from ramming up my tailpipe because I'm not going 20 over in a 50 zone, that's fantastic in my view.

@MidTowner @Viewfromthe42 This is also a red herring of a question. Right now 3000 people die every year in Canada. If we deployed self driving cars it is likely this would be cut by several orders of magnitude. So whether the pedestrian or the vehicle occupants of a car are killed in a car crash, the remaining 2998 other people are still alive for that year.

Further, it's a question brought up by people who believe that as a human being faced with making the same choice in 0.1 seconds, they themselves make this choice in their mind. Of course, they don't, they react reflexively with no logical thought process.
(11-03-2016, 09:33 AM)timc Wrote: To many people, their vehicle is an extension of their self. 

This is truer than most people might think. I think this is why I often see cars swing wide (+3m) around a parked car, but barely passes a cyclist by 30cm - the driver values property more than life.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(11-02-2016, 09:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: As a pedestrian, I am very proactive about making sure drivers notice me, I watch for eye contact from drivers before crossing in front of right turning vehicles, and I don't shy away from shouting or even knocking on a hood or window (depending on how far into the crosswalk they are) to get their attention.

I tend to do those same things, though have not yelled or banged the hoods of cars.  And I walk a lot.

But the two times I have been yelled at (as a driver, by a pedestrian) in the last five years or so, it was each time a pedestrian crossing on a red light, upset that I was not stopping to let him cross.  (This was at or near King/Queen both times, so potentially this was the same person twice, too.)
I think we're getting a little sanctimonious folks.
I wish the University of Waterloo would turn on the streetlights in accordance to the actual position of the sun; the "T" at the South end of the Ring Road (near University Ave.) was absolutely brutal around 5:30pm last night. I was picking up my husband and there was just a sea of people everywhere, impossible to see them stepping out in front of me while trying to turn Left onto the Ring Road from coming up Seagram. I don't know if they're timed to come on at 7 or 8pm or what, but it would be great to see them turned on a little earlier - for everyone's safety.
(11-10-2016, 11:10 AM)Canard Wrote: I wish the University of Waterloo would turn on the streetlights in accordance to the actual position of the sun; the "T" at the South end of the Ring Road (near University Ave.) was absolutely brutal around 5:30pm last night.  I was picking up my husband and there was just a sea of people everywhere, impossible to see them stepping out in front of me while trying to turn Left onto the Ring Road from coming up Seagram.  I don't know if they're timed to come on at 7 or 8pm or what, but it would be great to see them turned on a little earlier - for everyone's safety.

I would think your friend Tom Galloway would be a good UW Ops employee to inquire with.

(11-10-2016, 11:30 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I would think your friend Tom Galloway would be a good UW Ops employee to inquire with.

Tom Galloway retired from the University of Waterloo a year or two ago.
He would still have connections to direct you to.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »