Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Shawarma - Döner kebab - Gyros
(05-04-2018, 09:20 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Beef is available at Arabesque for sure.

I want to say Highland Halal does as well, but I always get chicken and don't really pay attention to the other options. Smile
I think they have Gyro

(05-03-2018, 11:01 PM)embe Wrote: The last Shawarma I went out for was chicken and I was surprised that was the only option (not that I don't like chicken).  Do the places mentioned here have multiple meat spits/options? To me that would be an important part of the topic.

We had lunch at Arabesque on the weekend and they have chicken, beef and mixed Shawarma.  It was the first time I tried their Shawarma and it was very good.
(05-04-2018, 10:43 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 09:20 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Beef is available at Arabesque for sure.

I want to say Highland Halal does as well, but I always get chicken and don't really pay attention to the other options. Smile
I think they have Gyro

You are correct, I was there on Saturday and can confirm that they have chicken and gyros.
(05-09-2018, 09:19 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 10:43 AM)neonjoe Wrote: I think they have Gyro

You are correct, I was there on Saturday and can confirm that they have chicken and gyros.

Gyros is not a meat.  Gyros is a Greek dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie.
(05-09-2018, 10:09 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 09:19 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: You are correct, I was there on Saturday and can confirm that they have chicken and gyros.

Gyros is not a meat.  Gyros is a Greek dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie.

Isn't that what we're talking about here? I do understand that the meat used for gyros can be blend of lamb or pork and other stuff.
(05-09-2018, 10:23 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 10:09 AM)jgsz Wrote: Gyros is not a meat.  Gyros is a Greek dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie.

Isn't that what we're talking about here? I do understand that the meat used for gyros can be blend of lamb or pork and other stuff.

I'm confused.  You said "they have chicken and gyros."  So what I understand from that is they have chicken and chicken, or they have gyros and gyros.
(05-03-2018, 11:01 PM)embe Wrote: The last Shawarma I went out for was chicken and I was surprised that was the only option (not that I don't like chicken).  Do the places mentioned here have multiple meat spits/options? To me that would be an important part of the topic.

That's a very good point.

Queen Shawarma does beef shawarma, donair and falafel. Also some really gigantic looking samosas, though I have yet to try them. Most weeknight evenings selection gets limited to whatever they have left.

Ace Shawarma only has chicken shawarma, but they also do a variety of other dishes included lamb kebob, chicken tikka masala and several different types of burgers.

1001 nights has several different options but thus far I've only tried the chicken shawarma. I think they do a beef shawarma, falafel and maybe donair and gryos, possibly?

(05-09-2018, 10:30 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 10:23 AM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote: Isn't that what we're talking about here? I do understand that the meat used for gyros can be blend of lamb or pork and other stuff.

I'm confused.  You said "they have chicken and gyros."  So what I understand from that is they have chicken and chicken, or they have gyros and gyros.

Are you really confused or are you being facetious? Is there any place in town that doesn't make gyro from beef and/or lamb? While the original dish itself may be more broadly define, availability in this region is pretty limited to a fairly specific thing.
I would love to get a good gyro in this town...
(05-09-2018, 03:14 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:

That's a very good point.

Queen Shawarma does beef shawarma, donair and falafel. Also some really gigantic looking samosas, though I have yet to try them. Most weeknight evenings selection gets limited to whatever they have left.

Ace Shawarma only has chicken shawarma, but they also do a variety of other dishes included lamb kebob, chicken tikka masala and several different types of burgers.

1001 nights has several different options but thus far I've only tried the chicken shawarma. I think they do a beef shawarma, falafel and maybe donair and gryos, possibly?

Funny. I looked at the menu for Rana's (Recommended earlier in this thread), Queen Shawarma, (off Just-Eat) and 1001 nights (off Facebook) and did not see Donair (not to be confused with a Döner)
(05-10-2018, 04:25 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 03:14 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: That's a very good point.

Funny. I looked at the menu for Rana's (Recommended earlier in this thread), Queen Shawarma, (off Just-Eat) and 1001 nights (off Facebook) and did not see Donair (not to be confused with a Döner)

Ha ha. That really is funny, when people make simple mistakes. I apologize for my egregious and horrendous ignorance and hope that it didn't hurt your sensitive kebab sensibilities too much to suffer through a fucking thread about tasty food.
No offense taken. Smile I've just had people point me to doner places instead of donair places all the time. I know they are somewhat similar but not the same.
Are they pronounced the same? I honestly don't know the difference between them.

(05-10-2018, 05:52 PM)KevinL Wrote: Are they pronounced the same? I honestly don't know the difference between them.

I checked Google Images and they look the same to me.  I don’t know the proper pronunciation but I say ‘donair’ and write ‘doner.’
I thought the only difference was the sauce they put on it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »