Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 13 Vote(s) - 3.85 Average
General Urban Kitchener Updates and Rumours
Seems like another one getting its paper work completed in time to qualify for the development charge exemption. Do building permits expire at some point, if construction work doesn't proceed?

(12-20-2018, 10:15 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: FWIW there's been nothing communicated internally about this project. I mention it every now and then when the topic of construction comes up, and people are pretty consistently unaware.

Do you think this is because it's unlikely to happen, or because it's just kept hush hush
(12-20-2018, 10:22 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems like another one getting its paper work completed in time to qualify for the development charge exemption.   Do building permits expire at some point, if construction work doesn't proceed?

I am pretty sure there is a timeline for this, otherwise, everyone could ask for a permit and sit on it for years. If I'd take a guess, probably no more than a year for there to be shovels.
I expect they might have had a much easier time finding a buyer for the parking lot property, and decided to dispose of that while working through the process for the former King Centre property.
Has it even been said that they're going to sell the King Center property?
Ya that was my thinking too, as far as real estate investing goes, unless you had to, hold onto 25 Water.

Unless they're blown away by an offer
The Pearl Laundry building (90 Queen St S) has long been vacant, with the main-floor space used for storing old appliances etc. Might there be something finally happening with this building? 

I do wonder whether the property needs some major remediation because of the use of the dry cleaning chemicals for 50+ years.

(12-27-2018, 01:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Might there be something finally happening with this building?

I'm mildly curious how a long-unused storefront turns into a storage location for a collection of random appliances.
I presume this was a business that resells and/or repairs those appliances that needed additional storage...
(12-27-2018, 02:54 PM)KevinL Wrote: I presume this was a business that resells and/or repairs those appliances that needed additional storage...

Based on the sign, though, it looks like that business has stopped paying rent and the landlord has lost patience.
(12-27-2018, 01:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The Pearl Laundry building (90 Queen St S) has long been vacant, with the main-floor space used for storing old appliances etc. Might there be something finally happening with this building? 

I do wonder whether the property needs some major remediation because of the use of the dry cleaning chemicals for 50+ years.
Was there ever a dry cleaner there?  I know it was originally a laundry.
(12-27-2018, 04:54 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-27-2018, 01:06 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The Pearl Laundry building (90 Queen St S) has long been vacant, with the main-floor space used for storing old appliances etc. Might there be something finally happening with this building? 

Was there ever a dry cleaner there?  I know it was originally a laundry.

They did both. These ads are from 1934.

It was a comics shop for several decades (Now & Then Books); I don't recall any chemical issues having affected their operations.

(12-27-2018, 07:27 PM)KevinL Wrote: It was a comics shop for several decades (Now & Then Books); I don't recall any chemical issues having affected their operations.

If that was a rental by Now & Then Books no environmental remediation would have been required. However, to actually sell the property, the seller needs to complete and provide a Record of Site Condition, which in turn requires at least an environmental assessment, and potentially remediation.
(11-22-2018, 12:15 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 01:03 AM)GtwoK Wrote: (The exterior) is not on yet (at least not on the second story, which is all I could see from Charles St). But based on the earlier render, the same pale yellow brick used on most LCBO buildings

Hopefully this, rather than the pale yellow EIFS used on some of the LCBO buildings.

Our wishes were answered: it is brick, not EIFS. I think it will look quite good on this block.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »