Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
www.facebook.com/ctvkitchener is my go-to place when I need a dose of complaints.

(05-09-2019, 04:29 PM)timc Wrote: www.facebook.com/ctvkitchener is my go-to place when I need a dose of complaints.

facebook.com/570news is also spectacularly regressive, unpleasant, and hateful.
I prefer to simply ignore those forums ...
Definitely a huge ramp-up in testing! My daily commute takes me down the Northfeild stretch and spotting an LRV was always like spotting a magical unicorn. The past three days, 3-3! Very exciting.
(05-10-2019, 11:43 AM)JCnb Wrote: Definitely a huge ramp-up in testing! My daily commute takes me down the Northfeild stretch and spotting an LRV was always like spotting a magical unicorn. The past three days, 3-3! Very exciting.

Also running at 9:45pm near Conestoga yesterday.
Ummm, isn't this map for Sept 2019, and currently undergoing public consultation?

Attached Files Image(s)

No, that matches Ion launch routes, I believe. What elements make you think otherwise?
(05-13-2019, 05:14 PM)ert86 Wrote: Ummm, isn't this map for Sept 2019, and currently undergoing public consultation?

that's the map for ION Launch... oddly enough that map will need to be changed in September as Route 76 is being split and Cambridge routes are changing as well.

This is the planned service changes for September 2019:

https://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/resource...190212.pdf
Look at the 12 skipping Forest Glen, most 7s gone and the 201 going to Conestoga collage... this is the currant proposed map. Unless they're also making those route changes next month, but typically they start in September

Edit: I thought they were still taking public input on this map
That's the map as of June 24th. There's no 206, which will be in effect as of the fall.
Ah, Now that I think about it I think I vaguely remember them saying the route changes will came into effect with the launch of ION, but that was a long long time ago. They should however put some kind of notice that these aren't the current routes, could confuse people if these are up in high ped traffic stations.

There are a few things I don't like about these changes but being able to get to St. Jacobs market without having to go to Conestoga mall will be great.
Has anyone made a fleet from the paper models that they give out at ION LRT station showings?

I've been playing around with 'My New Ride' now that I've got it working. Some of the Ion trip times seem incredible. The travel time from Waterloo Public Square to Northfield, for instance, is eight minutes. If true, that's amazing.

For some reason, it's always been in my head that 45 minutes for the whole line was not a particularly impressive time. Seeing all of the (preliminary) station times now, though, I can see how difficult it would be to do any better. And it's the predictable places (downtown through uptown) where the speeds are a lot less. Through the Universities, the proposed times really are a big improvement over the 200.
I thought the estimated time from Willis Way to Allen seemed pretty generous at 4 minutes. I think this is a reasonably conservative schedule.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »