Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
2020-01-12

Update:  Everything is frozen solid at this site today.  It looks a bit like "still live construction."  Anyway, you can see the ramp that will be used in the parking area.  The area closest to the church already has part of the roof built.  Closer to Mary's Place, only the basement is covered.

That picture just reminds me how bad Market Square really is
The only thing I remember about Market Square that was nice - and I may be remembering it wrong - was that the basement farmers market area had some nice old wood beams and shops. I have strong memories of being there as a kid (and always getting those tiny little doughnuts which they still sell over at St Jacobs). The rest of the thing is hideous, though and I don't know what made developers think that putting a mall downtown was a smart idea.
Duke tower at street level from a couple days ago

When standing on the street, it's going to be quite an adjustment to see a tower standing roughly as tall as the East Suncor Tower in Calgary here in downtown Kitchener. And there is a tendency in development to want to outdo everyone else, so eventually we'll see another developer wanting to surpass 128 meters and so on.
(01-15-2020, 05:05 PM)ac3r Wrote: When standing on the street, it's going to be quite an adjustment to see a tower standing roughly as tall as the East Suncor Tower in Calgary here in downtown Kitchener. And there is a tendency in development to want to outdo everyone else, so eventually we'll see another developer wanting to surpass 128 meters and so on.

Possibly, but I suspect it will be many years in the future.
(01-15-2020, 05:05 PM)ac3r Wrote: When standing on the street, it's going to be quite an adjustment to see a tower standing roughly as tall as the East Suncor Tower in Calgary here in downtown Kitchener. And there is a tendency in development to want to outdo everyone else, so eventually we'll see another developer wanting to surpass 128 meters and so on.
I think it'll be another 5 years before we see a second proposal close to this size

I think you're probably right.

My prediction is in the next five years while this big wave of projects is under construction we see some small to mid sized projects and then in five years another big wave of projects.

I think just about all of the major developers have one or many projects on the go right now.
January 29, 2020

3 floors getting worked on at a time isn't really something we've seen in Kitchener yet.
As seen from Charles St E:

Wow this is going up quick! Really starting to gain some prominence. 

At this rate this might surpass Charlie West before it's even finished
Definitely feels like a rapid jump from zero above ground floors to, what, 3 or 4 there? I think Charlie West is looking like it has just started floor 8?

How far set back from the sidewalk/road is this tower?

(02-03-2020, 04:54 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Definitely feels like a rapid jump from zero above ground floors to, what, 3 or 4 there? I think Charlie West is looking like it has just started floor 8?

How far set back from the sidewalk/road is this tower?
This is on its 3rd floor. Charlie west is somewhere around 8 I believe yes. 

From what I can tell, this tower is in line (or at least the fencing around it is) more or less with the existing structures to its left
(02-03-2020, 03:35 PM)tomh009 Wrote: As seen from Charles St E:
You meant Duke street?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »