Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Restaurant casualties of COVID-19
By the way, could someone add a list of places that have closed to this thread? It would be useful to have everything consolidated in one spot.

I have been updating the list in the first post. I'll add Special Delivery to it now.
(07-13-2020, 11:27 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I have been updating the list in the first post. I'll add Special Delivery to it now.

Oops!  I should have looked back.
(07-13-2020, 10:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Indeed, sucks for them, but I imagine it will be pretty easy for someone else to open a coffee place at that location.  Although I remember saying to the baker next door, years ago, that I thought it would be a great spot for a quality cheese shop ...

I already have to limit how often I go to Golden Hearth because I have no willpower when it comes to their pastries, if there was a cheese shop next door that would come to an quick end.
(07-13-2020, 06:52 PM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 10:33 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Indeed, sucks for them, but I imagine it will be pretty easy for someone else to open a coffee place at that location.  Although I remember saying to the baker next door, years ago, that I thought it would be a great spot for a quality cheese shop ...

I already have to limit how often I go to Golden Hearth because I have no willpower when it comes to their pastries, if there was a cheese shop next door that would come to an quick end.

Tavis's croissants, some fine cheese, and a pastel de nata from across the street - probably as close as Kitchener could get to heaven!  It would still need that perfect cup of coffee to go with ...
Gilt restaurant is not re-opening.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/gilt-restau...-1.5025454

CTV Wrote:The restaurant's owners said the COVID-19 pandemic was a "heavy factor" in the decision to close, but added it was time for the to "focus on ourselves, families and futures."
Gilt's Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCq6tYJA2cV

(07-13-2020, 07:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 06:52 PM)BruceAshe Wrote: I already have to limit how often I go to Golden Hearth because I have no willpower when it comes to their pastries, if there was a cheese shop next door that would come to an quick end.

Tavis's croissants, some fine cheese, and a pastel de nata from across the street - probably as close as Kitchener could get to heaven!  It would still need that perfect cup of coffee to go with ...

Sadly, it's not going to be a cheese shop. There's a sign on the window for Phlippens. I imagine it will have more than just the few products they make, so it should be something fun to have in the area. https://phlippens.com/
(07-15-2020, 02:43 PM)Chris Wrote: Gilt restaurant is not re-opening.

CTV Wrote:The restaurant's owners said the COVID-19 pandemic was a "heavy factor" in the decision to close, but added it was time for the to "focus on ourselves, families and futures."

Ouch!  I wonder if other fine dining spots might be at risk?  Personally the idea of dining indoors leaves me cold, and I’m guessing the feeling is pretty widespread.
(07-15-2020, 04:25 PM)BruceAshe Wrote:
(07-13-2020, 07:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Tavis's croissants, some fine cheese, and a pastel de nata from across the street - probably as close as Kitchener could get to heaven!  It would still need that perfect cup of coffee to go with ...

Sadly, it's not going to be a cheese shop. There's a sign on the window for Phlippens. I imagine it will have more than just the few products they make, so it should be something fun to have in the area. https://phlippens.com/

That’s pretty specialized, but the more food/food-related shops down that way, the better, imo.
(07-15-2020, 04:30 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 02:43 PM)Chris Wrote: Gilt restaurant is not re-opening.

Ouch!  I wonder if other fine dining spots might be at risk?  Personally the idea of dining indoors leaves me cold, and I’m guessing the feeling is pretty widespread.

I don't think the risk is inherently fine dining (nor would I classify Gilt as fine dining). I think the crash has more just revealed which businesses weren't doing so great. Gilt was never that busy, and I'm not surprised. I live in the area, I find the price point reasonable, but I don't go there because the food isn't that good. So far none of the closures have been restaurants that I thought were doing great.
(07-15-2020, 04:47 PM)Ltaylortbb Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 04:30 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Ouch!  I wonder if other fine dining spots might be at risk?  Personally the idea of dining indoors leaves me cold, and I’m guessing the feeling is pretty widespread.

I don't think the risk is inherently fine dining (nor would I classify Gilt as fine dining). I think the crash has more just revealed which businesses weren't doing so great. Gilt was never that busy, and I'm not surprised. I live in the area, I find the price point reasonable, but I don't go there because the food isn't that good. So far none of the closures have been restaurants that I thought were doing great.
I haven’t been to Gilt for a long time but back in the day I definitely would have placed them in the fine dining category.  Not sure what other category would fit.
(07-15-2020, 05:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I haven’t been to Gilt for a long time but back in the day I definitely would have placed them in the fine dining category.  Not sure what other category would fit.

I'd call it upscale casual. It's the sort of place I wouldn't hesitate to head after work in jeans, but still high end enough to have a business dinner at.

To me at least, the term fine dining means somewhere that you'd feel out of place in jeans and a t-shirt.

(07-15-2020, 05:57 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 05:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I haven’t been to Gilt for a long time but back in the day I definitely would have placed them in the fine dining category.  Not sure what other category would fit.

I'd call it upscale casual. It's the sort of place I wouldn't hesitate to head after work in jeans, but still high end enough to have a business dinner at.

To me at least, the term fine dining means somewhere that you'd feel out of place in jeans and a t-shirt.

I think that's a good descriptor.  

Ugh that sucks, I always thought that it was a good fit in DTK as it needed some places like that, it's a shame they didn't do as great and needed to shut down.
It's not a restaurant, but Starlight is closing permanently.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »