Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete
(07-09-2020, 11:32 PM)taylortbb Wrote: It would be really surprising for BMO to get building permits for 345 unless they were 100% committed.

Maybe RBC wants to be on King? They're the only major bank that's not.

Ah...didn't even think of RBC. Better location for them rather than Duke St.

(07-10-2020, 01:43 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 01:35 PM)Acitta Wrote: That would be nice. Currently, their bank machines are inaccessible on weekends, presumably to keep the homeless out. It is frustrating when I want to get cash for the market on Saturday.

I wonder why they don’t install a bank machine on the outside wall (probably under a cover such as might be found at a doorway)? Alternately, I recall at least some bank machine lobbies used to require the card to open the door. I’m not sure how much checking it did before opening, or if pretty much any magstripe card would work (or even any object shaped like a credit card).

Or maybe they’ve just decided that nobody goes to Kitchener off hours so it doesn’t matter anyway Tongue

No. The issue was with the homeless sleeping in there. A security guard was attacked the one night, a couple year ago, and I believe this was at the BMO. There was also a couple incidents at the CIBC branch as well as Scotia Bank. At some point, they all agreed just to lock them permanently at night. I had used the banks while with friends, though I would never by myself. Probably a good idea to have them locked, but there still needs to be access to cash somehow.
(07-10-2020, 05:11 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 01:43 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Or maybe they’ve just decided that nobody goes to Kitchener off hours so it doesn’t matter anyway Tongue

No. The issue was with the homeless sleeping in there. A security guard was attacked the one night, a couple year ago, and I believe this was at the BMO. There was also a couple incidents at the CIBC branch as well as Scotia Bank. At some point, they all agreed just to lock them permanently at night. I had used the banks while with friends, though I would never by myself. Probably a good idea to have them locked, but there still needs to be access to cash somehow.

Thanks for the background. I was just making an unoriginal joke about Kitchener being a ghost town at night.
(07-10-2020, 02:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 01:43 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Alternately, I recall at least some bank machine lobbies used to require the card to open the door. I’m not sure how much checking it did before opening, or if pretty much any magstripe card would work (or even any object shaped like a credit card).

Any magstripe card at all would work on those doors.

I thought I'd tried just any card without a stripe a few years ago and that worked.
I have to say it's looking much better than I expected when the glass first started going in. I'm curious how it will look at night with office lights on, especially if there is a mix of on and off lights. Will the insides bleed through the fritted glass?

Also, does anyone know how the glass will look from inside? Will you get strange Mayfair ghost shadows through the offices?
This will look great in the King St streetscape.

Is the image clearest in full sunlight, or when the building is shaded?  I have the impression that it will be subtle during the day, invisible at night?

I don't think that anyone is going to miss the old Mayfair.
(07-14-2020, 09:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the image clearest in full sunlight, or when the building is shaded?  I have the impression that it will be subtle during the day, invisible at night?

I find that the fritted image is most visible in late afternoons. Bright sun results in strong reflections (like in the image above) with the fritting less visible.

I'll withhold judgement on the nighttime look until the building is completed, though.
(07-14-2020, 10:08 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-14-2020, 09:57 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Is the image clearest in full sunlight, or when the building is shaded?  I have the impression that it will be subtle during the day, invisible at night?

I find that the fritted image is most visible in late afternoons. Bright sun results in strong reflections (like in the image above) with the fritting less visible.

I'll withhold judgement on the nighttime look until the building is completed, though.

I was walking from city hall toward this building yesterday afternoon and the brick image was so strong and clear that my peripheral thought it was a brick building.  When I got closer and saw it on an angle it looked more like the image above.
I think the fact that the visibility of the image may change throughtout the day will just add to the interest.  I'm thinking this could become one of the best buildings in Kitchener.
Drove past it today, from some angles it looks like a brick building encased in glass. Interested to see how it will look in final form. Certainly unique in terms of design.
(07-10-2020, 06:24 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-10-2020, 05:11 PM)jeffster Wrote: No. The issue was with the homeless sleeping in there. A security guard was attacked the one night, a couple year ago, and I believe this was at the BMO. There was also a couple incidents at the CIBC branch as well as Scotia Bank. At some point, they all agreed just to lock them permanently at night. I had used the banks while with friends, though I would never by myself. Probably a good idea to have them locked, but there still needs to be access to cash somehow.

Thanks for the background. I was just making an unoriginal joke about Kitchener being a ghost town at night.

LOL...if you ever worked DT at night, you'd wonder if it is a literal ghost town with the weird sh*t you see.

I remember the one night I was at the D&O parking garage, and some guy pointed at me and my colleague and said "I am going to kill yooooouuuuuuu!!" and I just looked at him like "what the actual hell" and then he said "Not YOU!!!" As he pointed at me and then said "YOOOOOUUUUU!" and pointed at the none existent person behind me. And of course, trying to avoid Shamari and his pickle drum set, and the dream catcher lady. A lot of the other guys are fairly innocent, in the sense they're not out to get you, like Kurt Cobain and Dancing Dave.

The only serious incident I ever had at night actually happened in Waterloo at the 7/11 at King and University when some whack job pulled a knife on my the 11 year old son. Though that whole area is a place to avoid at night (I worked in that area for a number of years and it was never good).

(07-14-2020, 04:29 PM)PassTheBruce Wrote: Drove past it today, from some angles it looks like a brick building encased in glass. Interested to see how it will look in final form. Certainly unique in terms of design.

That was what I thought too!
A foggy morning provided the opportunity to snap a photo of the building with fewer reflections.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »